Is this normal when DTV is trying to get new customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I was a little frustrated with E* because they seem to have a bad compression ratio. I can tell a huge difference in the local cable company’s picture and the E* HD picture. Although I have read the DTV picture is not really any better, I decided to give them a try just to see it for myself.
So I call DTV to check on prices. The rep takes my social and tells me that I not only qualify for the $31 off for the 1st 12 months, but also an additional $16 off for the second 12 months. I tell the gentleman, who happens to be in India, I will take that into conservation.
I call back two days later and talk to another rep. I told her that I had already spoken with a rep and the promotion I wanted.
I give her all of my information and set up the installation date. She does say that I do qualify for the 2nd year of credits. The rep was very polite and tells me that she will be sending me all the info we discussed to my email. She also said that I needed to set up the account online in order to receive the credits. She verified my email, gave me my account number, the number to call if I needed to make any changes, and welcomed me as a new customer.
I check my email, no message.
I call DTV back to inquire as to why I did not receive an email; the rep told me that the previous rep had not put the email address on the account. She told me where to go on the Internet in order to register for the rebates.
When I login to view the rebates, I notice that I only have credits for the 1st year; the rep tells me that if they are not listed, then I do not qualify for the $16 for the 2nd year.
At this point I decide if they cannot offer me what was promised, I would prefer just to stay with E*. The current rep tells me that I would have to call the people who set accounts at a different number. When I call the number given, the rep, who happens to be Indian, tells me that she cannot even see the information I was inquiring about in her screen. She did ask about which rep told me that I would get the credits because misinformation would not be tolerated at DTV. I told her that I just wanted to cancel the order and stay with E*. She told me to hold for a supervisor. I hang up and call the regular #.
The rep tells me that he will cancel my account. He was very nice and says that he wishes that I had gotten him from the beginning and my experience with DTV would have been much better.
After cooling down and recharging my phone, I decide to call DTV back and be patient because I know, from working customer service myself, that anytime you have different departments involved, there is always some confusion.
The new rep walks me through the process and tells me that the 2nd year of rebates is based on both zip code and credit score. He said that my zip code did not qualify for the $16 off for the second year.
WOW! This is actually the 3rd time I have tried to get DTV and they had misinformed me. 1st was around 1999. I told them that I, at the time, had no local WB, now CW, channel and that E* was selling me the WB from New York. They said that they could sell me the same channel being that there was no WB in my channel market.
I go to Radio Shack and buy the equipment. I install the dish, call to start service, and then I am told that they cannot sell me the WB from another region. They tell me I have to use my local channel. I explained there was no local WB to view. I called E* back and restarted my service.
The 2nd time was back in 2007. I was told by the rep that “our DVR will do everything that Dish DVR will do.” The tech came out, the very first thing he does is pull my E* dish off the house and installs the DTV dish.
I ask him where the off air antenna port was. He said that DTV had stopped putting the off air tuners in the receivers. I told him that I had been told they the DTV DVR would do everything the E* DVR would do and that, since DTV did not currently have my locals in HD, that I was going to stay with E*.
This is what would have sucked for your average consumer. The tech goes and pulls the DTV dish, but says that he does not have to put my E* dish back up. I put it up later that day myself.
So this is my conclusion, why in the world would anyone want DTV who is not a Sunday Ticket subscriber, happen to be in an area where E* does not have the HD locals, or getting a reduced rate because of bundling with another service? So many people say that they love DTV, but I just have never had a good experience with them. Maybe, since they were the 1st, people simply do not know that DTV is the more expensive option with worse customer service.

Or does DTV no longer use HD Lite, meaning they have better picture quality?

The DirecTV DVRs do OTA. An HR20 has a built in OTA tuner and you can add an AM21 (an external OTA tuner) to any DVR. Many Dish DVRs are the same, some have OTA tuners built in and some require an external OTA tuner add-on

Last edited:
To answer your last question as to why anyone would prefer one company over the other, it is because they prefer one company over the other for their own personal reasons. SundayTicket may be one reason, but there are several other possibilities as well.

Many Dish subs prefer the greater variety of national HD and premium movies. Most also pay less for their service. Many Dish subs prefer the more reliable and quicker DVRs, or the DVR's UI. Many Dish subs have more locals offered in their area

Many Direct subs have more locals offered in their area. Some Direct subs may pay less for certain setups. Some Direct subs prefer the DVRs UI

People choose certain providers because of certain package options or channels included in certain packages. People may also choose because of certain discounts, rebates, or bundling options

For me. DirecTV has MLBNetwork, Extra Innings, my local RSNs in HD full-time with no JIP, slightly better PQ, more locals in HD, slightly less expensive for comparable package and setup, and DVRs that can do more than Dish DVRs (MRV, Media Share, DirecTV2PC, ex).

Some people prefer DirecTVs vastly superior VOD.

Some people just stick with what they have been using for years regardless of what others have to offer

Last edited:
I think this post was put here just to get attention .... again.

If you read the last paragraph or two, it's pretty obvious.

Gotta love people that do this ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm still watching my RSN (NESN) in HD 24/7, while my friends with Dish never know if the games will be in HD or not. Good enough reason for me to stay where I am...

I'm still watching my RSN (NESN) in HD 24/7, while my friends with Dish never know if the games will be in HD or not. Good enough reason for me to stay where I am...

I agree. Watching FS North in HD while Dish subs get it in beautiful 16:9 SD with black bars on the top and bottom of screen

And in some ways DTV DVR has features E* DVR doesn't have.

I don't have, nor care for, Sunday Ticket. Dropping channels left and right is a pretty good reason to move over to the competition.

but at least he has a decent amount of posts and has been here a while

give it time...not everyone is here each day (I know....shocking) ;)

I was really hoping someone would tell me why DTV was worth having...As I mentioned ... I think Dish Network's HD does not look like real HD.

So what was the point of telling us the CSR was Indian? I am a D* and E* retailer and I am Indian....

I agree Skynetamit!

Captain white as hell here and I too have to wonder why people feel the need to list the sex and / or the suspected race/nationality of the people they deal with; like it maters. If the person you are speaking to doesn't speak English very well, or is very rude, then that's another issue; I deal with tons of folks on a daily basis that look just like me that butcher the language and are some of the rudest people ever. So think a bit before you make a comment regarding another person's sex or race. All you really need to say is you were having a hard time understanding them; if that was the issue.

I am sorry but I disagree with your original post.

I have bad credit, and will NOT pay in the upwards of 300-500 for a HD DVR receiver.

2nd, I won't pay for a Dish, atleast thats the way it was when I had Dish, which yes I hated, and love DirecTV.

3rd, Yes, I love my NFLST, but in NY area, Dish has no SNY, no YES, no Extra Innings, and as a Yanks/Mets fan I will NOT be without them.

Anyone who says people dont go to directv for anything other than sports isn't telling the truth. DirecTV is vastly superior to Cable and Dish.

Dish likes to nickle and dime you, the remove MSG, SNY, refuse to get YES. No Extra Innings, and then no MLB Network. But hey, they have a million cinema channels, oh yeah no HBO, Starz or Showtime on demand.

So IMO those are my biggest reasons for not having or liking Dish Network.

So what was the point of telling us the CSR was Indian? I am a D* and E* retailer and I am Indian....
My guess he didn't speak clear English is the point he meant.

So lets not turn it into something .

Sorry but I feel strongly if your representing an American company you should be able to communicate Clearly to American customers.

And by American I mean USA Thats why they have 2 phone options, 2 Internet options, 2 channel package options, Spanish and English.

Sorry , but our country would be alot better off if we kept our work right here at home.

American customers, lol.

We are a melting pot... You know how mad I get when I have to listen to "press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish"... Where the heck is press 3 for Hindi, 4 for chinese, 5 for......

You really think American companies can cater to everyone?

Everyone wants free this, free that.. No
American wants a call center job. This horse has been beaten to death.

We asked for the foreign call centers....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)