Is threre a problem with my box?

HDFreud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2004
Northern, NJ
When I change channels, I sometimes get a dead zones, meaning, several dead pixels on picture. It looks like a white paint drip. I have a Mitsubishi rear proj WS55909 and it does not happen with my own internal HDTV tuner. The only way to make it go away is to shut off box and turn it back on.

Any thoughts?............:confused:

Do you have your STB set to Native resolution? I had this happen to me when mine was set to Native, but I changed it to 1080 and I no longer have this problem.

It sounds to me like a bad STB.

It's a bummer when you only have one STB and you're trying to determine an issue like this. It's even more frustrating when you have to call support and schedule an appt. just to do a STB switchout.

Too bad you aren't allowed to visit the install co. and switch it out yourself (like you can w/cable)

HDFreud, Stuck Pixels is a known bug in the software. Those pixels are some uncleared leftovers from the PG or menus. No need to replace the STB: it won't help. Just press VOOM and then WATCH to get rid of them.

Ilya, I've done that, but sometimes it takes over 10 tries and then box off/on. I will wait it out. Thanks....

The biggest problem with the Voom box is that it doesnt say Dish or echostar on it. If thats what it takes to get HDnet and dump some of these crap, exclusive, bandwidth PQ robbing, loser channels then so be it.

HDFreud said:
Ilya, I've done that, but sometimes it takes over 10 tries and then box off/on. I will wait it out. Thanks....
Is this on a specific channel, or on all channels? The Stuck Pixels, I am talking about usually appear after navigating in the Program Guide. Once the stuck pixels appear, they stay on, even if I switch channels. However, when I press VOOM button immediately followed by WATCH, I always get rid of them.

I have also seen white pixels ("scratches") on specific channels or specific programs. This seems to be a problem at the source, not in the box, as it is observed by many at the same time.

Not sure which of this cases you are observing. Perhaps, you have a different problem altogether. Please provide more details.

I'm not sure why my earlier post was deleted in this thread. I suggested it MIGHT be an STB issue. Just because it might not be, is no reason to delete it. Sounds like HDFreud is delaying a support call to replace the STB since others are determined to call it a known software issue. What harm is getting a Voom appt set up? It will probably take a few days before they come up anyway. You can always cancel the appt if you decide to later. If the problem is as bad as you are indicating , how can you "wait it out" and not get extremely frustrated. You might as well rule out the STB.
HDFreud, you're an extremely patient person.

Thanks all!!! The truth is that after having been a beta tester for other electronic products and having had Direct TV, Cable visions IO Digital cable, and built my own HD capable HTPC, I just cant figure out Voom. I have been a Voom customer since Dec 2003, had my box swapped twice, had service calls 5 times (4 out of the 5, I had to show the installer/tech what to do). I have come to the realization that Voom (meaning management) is the ridiculously poorly run!!!

It is so difficult to figure out what the issue may be. Yes, I think that I have been patient. I am a charter member and paid almost $800.00 for my box and pay $79.90 a month for a service plagued with serious problems and non deliverables.

I have remained with Voom because they offer the most HD content and seem to be, philosophically anyway, focused on HD content delivery.:confused: :no :confused:

With that said Voom or no Voom. I will have my DVR by the end of the year. I hope Voom gets their head out of their A.... Thanks for Reading

HDFreud, thanks for sharing your thoughts about VOOM and its management, but this is a Help Desk Forum. (Customer Comments department is next door ;)).

If you need further help with your problem, please provide additional details. I am still not sure whether your problem is software related, or whether it is caused by a defective hardware. But if you give us some specifics we can try to figure it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts