Is Voom using proper aspect ratios?

ds5178

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
I had read a few earlier posts on some disappointments with Voom's unwillingness to display their HD movies with the proper aspect ratio, (2.35 to 1; 1.78 to 1; etc.) I saw another post that said the ratios were correct. What's the verdict? Have enough Voomers checked into this?

Thanks for the input. I want to pull the trigger and get Voomified, but if they aren't doing this properly, I don't think I would subscribe.

ds5178 said:
I had read a few earlier posts on some disappointments with Voom's unwillingness to display their HD movies with the proper aspect ratio, (2.35 to 1; 1.78 to 1; etc.) I saw another post that said the ratios were correct. What's the verdict? Have enough Voomers checked into this?

Thanks for the input. I want to pull the and get Voomified, but if they aren't doing this properly, I don't think I would subscribe.

I have not seen a movie on Cinema 10 with OAR. On Epics-HD channel, I have seen a couple now. Starz-HD, TMC-HD, & Show-HD also showed movies with OAR. So right now is a mixture. Hopefully, we can see movies in OAR in Cinema 10. I am not saying that they won't but there is the possibility that it will be done since they already are doing with Epics-HD. I haven't watch much of Monster-HD to make a good assessment.

If you want them OAR call Voom and tell them. With so few subscribers and so few people calling, it will at least get heard.

Matt_Stevens said:
If you want them OAR call Voom and tell them. With so few subscribers and so few people calling, it will at least get heard.

That already has been started. I will encourage everyone to the same as well. As I have called and a few also have. Matt, there is hope here and if we persist we might get more of these HD transfer in their OAR.

Matt_Stevens said:

That's an excellent point. As a potential subscriber, I could have some "serious" questions that need answering before plunking down the big bucks. Thanks for the suggestion!

That's an excellent point. As a potential subscriber, I could have some "serious" questions that need answering before plunking down the big bucks.

"Big Bucks"? You can't provide a credit card and pay interest for 3 months? If you don't like it after that then give it back, no strings. Should only cost about $50 in interest on a bad day.

This is our chance to get a product more on our level (HDTV'rs)

GG

I have my ignore list on so haven't seen all the comments.

I know the OAR issue has registered at high levels. Not to get technical, the issue is framing. The actual aspect ratio gemometry is maintained (no stretching or squishing). I know folks that think opewn matte is fine, but to me that's the same as cropping the top & bottom of native 4:3 content or cutting the sides of scope movies.,

There have been OAR movies on Cinema 10 as well as some of the themes. As Don Landis has pointed out, it's cheaper to do OAR transfers. The limited polling have shown that current bleedining edge Voomers are higher end HDTV folks, which typically equates to OAR or at least an option/capability to "blow up" OAR not currently available.

The big question is the value proposition. I view Cinema 10 and the Themes as "extra." I have actually seen many more movies I have watched there than on HDnet NDnet movies. Many are classics and great (to me). Most I ignore, but to me the value of Voom is having ALL the premium content offered in HD, not the bundled extras. That said, I would still like the extras in OAR but if they aren't I can ignore them easily.

Tim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)