Issue copying content to EHD

legends92

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Valencia, CA
I'm trying to copy some content to my EHD. When I am on the screen where I choose which items to copy, I am unable to scroll all the way down. Half way through the page, the down arrow button immediately goes back to top and the page down button doesn't do anything. Has anyone experienced this?

Have you copied any content to that EHD on that receiver yet, or is this your first time attempting to do so? If you've been able to in the past and are having trouble now, it's probably best to contact DISH directly as they may be able to do a reset for you that will resolve the issue. The number is (800) 894-9131.

Otherwise, are you sure you're using a DISH-compatible EHD? Not all of them will work with DISH receivers, but there are plenty that will. They must be single-drive EHDs with a capacity between 50GB and 2TB. Also, it must have its own power drive and support USB 2.0 and not use flash memory. Some of those suggested by DISH are Western Digital My Book A/V and Hitachi XL 1000.

Also, your hard drive does need to be formatted to your receiver in order to copy programming to it.

If these suggestions aren't helpful, please provide a few more details and I'll do my best to help you out.

I've used the EHD since I had the 922. I've been able to copy content back and forth when I got the Hopper also. This specific issue just started a couple of weeks ago. I'll try a reset tonight and see if it fixes.

Reset the DVR and still can't transfer certain recordings. I have 127 recordings under "My Recordings". When I attempt to transfer recordings to the EHD, I'm only shown 19. I can transfer any of the 19, but I'm just not sure why I can't see the rest. Very odd.

I just received s211 this morning (up from s209). Now I am also having this problem.

When I go to transfer from the Hopper, the list stops scrolling before the scroll bar on the right has reached the bottom. Furthermore, none of the PTAT programs visible in My Recordings are visible in transfer.

Looks like all my other recordings are visible/transferable, just nothing recorded with PTAT, including older PTAT recordings ( > 8 days).

Correction, there is one PTAT episode available for transfer. It is an episode of Kitchen Nightmares from 3/30. There have been no New episodes of Kitchen Nightmares recorded since (none aired). All of the recordings missing from transfer have had a new episode in the past week.

Doesn't matter if I view with or without folders.

Hey all. longtime lurker here. I read and read about the hopper system. I couldn't wait any longer and made the plunge. Got hooked up w a 2h 1j setup. The system is great even tho there are a few bugs.
My problem is my EHD. Worked fine on my 722. I can see it fine on the hopper. I can play the EHD recordings. I can only see 8 of the 24 recordings in MY recordings if I go to the transfer screen. I can only transfer a couple of those recordings. I contacted dish and was told by CSR that it is a software issue and would be resolved in the next update. That was on 209. I now have 211 and the same problem. I asked the CSR if they could re hit my system and was told no, it didn't matter. My question is "is that true?" Would a re hit make a difference or do I need to wait for another software update?

Hey all. longtime lurker here. I read and read about the hopper system. I couldn't wait any longer and made the plunge. Got hooked up w a 2h 1j setup. The system is great even tho there are a few bugs.
My problem is my EHD. Worked fine on my 722. I can see it fine on the hopper. I can play the EHD recordings. I can only see 8 of the 24 recordings in MY recordings if I go to the transfer screen. I can only transfer a couple of those recordings. I contacted dish and was told by CSR that it is a software issue and would be resolved in the next update. That was on 209. I now have 211 and the same problem. I asked the CSR if they could re hit my system and was told no, it didn't matter. My question is "is that true?" Would a re hit make a difference or do I need to wait for another software update?

Try the "re hit". I don't think anything bad will happens.

Hotwatt, Are you using PTAT? Are the missing recordings from PTAT? Are they older than 8 days (PTAT recordings < 8days are not transferable)?

If so, try this: In the transfer screen, select "No folders" and sort "A-Z". Do you see some or all of your 'missing' recordings? I do.

Still buggy, but I think the problem is related to PTAT recordings. In the past, PTAT recordings that were still on the Dish partition would appear in the transfer list, and then generate an error if you tried to move them. I think that in an effort to hide those, they inadvertently hid all recordings made with PTAT in certain views.

**Edit: got so caught up in my train of thought, I forgot to answer your question. I tried the re-hit. Didn't help. I think that is more for the "I can't play my old 722 recordings" problem.

Last edited:
I have tried sorting a-z, dvr recording date, folders, and no folders. Some recording are over 20 days old and show up and others don't. Some recordings from yesterday will show up and then some don't.

I have tried sorting a-z, dvr recording date, folders, and no folders. Some recording are over 20 days old and show up and others don't. Some recordings from yesterday will show up and then some don't.

I can say the same, but the one constant on my system is that the "missing" programs have had an episode air on PTAT in the past 8 days.

For example:

If I go to the transfer screen and view Folders by Title sorted A-Z, I can see all of my recordings, except for any Title that had an episode air on PTAT in the past 8 days (eg, I can't see 30 Rock or Fringe, but can see Kitchen Nightmares).

Same is true if I view Folders by Title sorted by DVR Date or No Folders sorted by DVR Date.

If I view No Folders sorted A-Z, then I see the first 50 or so transferable recordings, including 30 Rock and Fringe, but the list cuts off there, so I can't see Kitchen Nightmares. If I delete or transfer from the 50, then I get to see more (up to ~ 50, never more than 10 rows)

No Folders sorted A-Z almost gets me where I want to be, but is still buggy.

Last edited:
I can say the same, but the one constant on my system is that the "missing" programs have had an episode air on PTAT in the past 8 days.

For example:

If I go to the transfer screen and view Folders by Title sorted A-Z, I can see all of my recordings, except for any Title that had an episode air on PTAT in the past 8 days (eg, I can't see 30 Rock or Fringe, but can see Kitchen Nightmares).

Same is true if I view Folders by Title sorted by DVR Date or No Folders sorted by DVR Date.

If I view No Folders sorted A-Z, then I see the first 50 or so transferable recordings, including 30 Rock and Fringe, but the list cuts off there, so I can't see Kitchen Nightmares. If I delete or transfer from the 50, then I get to see more (up to ~ 50, never more than 10 rows)

No Folders sorted A-Z almost gets me where I want to be, but is still buggy.

I think buggy is the term. The ptat theory almost holds true. not quite. Some of my ptat recordings were there and a couple actually transferred. Some but not all. I cant seem to see any pattern to any of it. Not all show up and not all that do show up will transfer.

The one thing i hope is that dish is listening and working on this.

Hi, I am sorry that you are having problems accessing the recording to move to your EHD. Please send me your account or phone numbers and the software version on your Hopper and how long this issue has been happening and I get it reported to our engineers. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi, I am sorry that you are having problems accessing the recording to move to your EHD. On the scroll bar, have you tried to put the cursor on the bottom arrow and then press select? Will it move the bar to the bottom? Please send me your account or phone numbers and the software version on your Hopper and how long this issue has been happening and I get it reported to our engineers. Thank you!

Thanks, Mary. Sent you a PM. I can't "put the cursor on the bottom arrow".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)