Issue with DishAnywhere on phone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BradleyD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Knoxville, TN
iPhone Xs Max

In the past, I have been able to use the iOS DishAnywhere app on my iPhone over my Verizon LTE connection with no issues. I am now getting the following error when using LTE:

Receiver connection lost. Please try again later.

However, I can change the channel using the app over LTE.

Also, if I am on my homee network using wi-fi, everything works fine (channel changing, watch on iPhone).

When I use DishAnywhere on my laptop coming from an outside network (either wi-fi from another location or using my iPhone's LTE connection as the modem, everything works just fine.

The H3 network screens are fine.

I unistalled the DishAnywhere app from my phone and rebooted (not just turn off and turn on) and then reinstalled the app. I also switched the ethernet cable on the H3 both ways between eth1 to eth0. The problem is still there. Note: also did several reboots of H3 (unplug for about a minutes and plug in again).

I have not contacted Dish as of yet (I don't think they have any idea and will simply blame it on the phone). It could be the phone, but I can only uninstall and reboot and reload the app and it works when connected on the home network (and again, it works away from home using laptop over LTE or another wifi network. That means that the router on my network is likely not the problem and it has been set up that way for quite some time.

I first noticed this problem last night when I had switched the ethernet port to eth0) based on this thread:

Hopper3 LAN issues with DHCP, APIPA, and Upper Ethernet Port

As noted previously, switching back to eth1 does not fix the problem.

Early this morning after I had seen the problem, my H3 firmware was updated to 532. The problem is still there.

Has anyone had a problem like this?

Is this something that was added to the app so people would not try to drive down the road watching Dish on their phones?

The only ways I've found to reliably use DA (DishAnywhere, not Dumbledore's Army) is to:

1. Use an Amazon Fire {stick, TV, etc.} on the same local network as the Hopper3.
2. Download content to watch when not on local network on a mobile device.

Luckily #2 is the only reason we actually need DA.

DA works fine on my iPhone XS Max with both my HWSes. I generally use LTE from work (T-Mobile) as it works better than the office WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Works great on both my
samsung gs7 and
samsung tab.
Only time I've had issues is when I'm in a known cellular dead-zone.

Maybe,
Home internet upload speed?
Your Hopper not getting enough outbound bandwidth?

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have a gigabit connection with Comcast. The upload is 40+ mbits/sec and it worked just fine a couple of years ago when I had a lower speed tier with an upload of about 12mbits/sec. Also, if upload was the problem, then it would not work when using a laptop on another network or using my mobile phone as an LTE modem.

I have had some more time to research this. I have an OpenVPN server on my network and have it configured to allow access to PCs, equipment, etc. on the network.

I turned the Wi-Fi off on my phone and attempted to connect with dish anywhere app over LTE. It was unsuccessful. Then, with Wi-Fi still turned off and using LTE, I connected with my OpenVPN app to the network and then the dish anywhere app worked.

It seems as though when the app is connecting to the server at dish, it is encountering some sort of a glitch when going to the H3, but when the app knows it’s on the home network which it is when connected via OpenVPN, everything is fine.

However, I am not sure if that is the case because when connecting with my laptop and dish anywhere web site at another location or through my phone while using it as a modem, it does work and I am not using OpenVPN connections when doing that.

Just another crazy glitch that you never can figure out. Oh well, at least I have the ability to get it through my phone using OpenVPN. I’ll keep testing when I am out of the house and see what happens.

I have had some more time to research this. I have an OpenVPN server on my network and have it configured to allow access to PCs, equipment, etc. on the network.

I turned the Wi-Fi off on my phone and attempted to connect with dish anywhere app over LTE. It was unsuccessful. Then, with Wi-Fi still turned off and using LTE, I connected with my OpenVPN app to the network and then the dish anywhere app worked.

It seems as though when the app is connecting to the server at dish, it is encountering some sort of a glitch when going to the H3, but when the app knows it’s on the home network which it is when connected via OpenVPN, everything is fine.

However, I am not sure if that is the case because when connecting with my laptop and dish anywhere web site at another location or through my phone while using it as a modem, it does work and I am not using OpenVPN connections when doing that.

Just another crazy glitch that you never can figure out. Oh well, at least I have the ability to get it through my phone using OpenVPN. I’ll keep testing when I am out of the house and see what happens.

The iOS and laptop apps may use different servers. That is just a guess, but I know different Netflix apps hit different servers before being handed off to the CDN for playback.

Reactions: BradleyD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)