Issue with VIP 722 and HDMI switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zfisher23

Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I recently purchased a 3 port HDMI switch so I could use my PS3, AppleTV, and VIP 722 all through HDMI (my receiver only has 2 ports, Onkyo 604).

For the most part, everything works fine, with the exception of the the 722 when it is in Standby mode. If I'm watching something on the PS3 or AppleTV and have my 722 "off" for a few hours, when I switch back to the 722 I get a no signal error. The only way to fix it is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. Then everything works fine. I do NOT have this issue when the AppleTV is in standby or when the PS3 is off. I never have to unplug/plug their HDMI cables to get a signal. I've tried switching HDMI cables and switching which device is plugged in where, but the results are always the same: If the VIP 722 sleeps for a (seemingly) random amount of time, the switch stops receiving its signal and I can only get them to see each other by unplugging the HDMI from the VIP and plugging it back in.

Any thoughts? Is there a setting I can change on the VIP somewhere? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for all the help in advance,
Zack

I recently purchased a 3 port HDMI switch so I could use my PS3, AppleTV, and VIP 722 all through HDMI (my receiver only has 2 ports, Onkyo 604).

For the most part, everything works fine, with the exception of the the 722 when it is in Standby mode. If I'm watching something on the PS3 or AppleTV and have my 722 "off" for a few hours, when I switch back to the 722 I get a no signal error. The only way to fix it is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. Then everything works fine. I do NOT have this issue when the AppleTV is in standby or when the PS3 is off. I never have to unplug/plug their HDMI cables to get a signal. I've tried switching HDMI cables and switching which device is plugged in where, but the results are always the same: If the VIP 722 sleeps for a (seemingly) random amount of time, the switch stops receiving its signal and I can only get them to see each other by unplugging the HDMI from the VIP and plugging it back in.

Any thoughts? Is there a setting I can change on the VIP somewhere? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for all the help in advance,
Zack

Even when my 722 is "off" it still blasts the screensaver which keeps my HDMI switch happy. Does yours not display the screensaver when off?

Need to be HDMI 1.3 compliant. Cables and switchbox.

I had that problem when I hooked up my folk's 722 directly with older first generation HDMI cables. Getting new 1.3 cables fixed the problem.

I am guessing it is a safe assumption that requirement applies to any switchbox being used as well.

P.S. The TV was a Samsung series 5. We ended up taking the TV back because we thought it was defective. It all worked out for the better because the Sammy sound was crappy anyhow. My pop has been very happy with the LG we got instead but that is beside the point.

Need to be HDMI 1.3 compliant. Cables and switchbox.

I had that problem when I hooked up my folk's 722 directly with older first generation HDMI cables. Getting new 1.3 cables fixed the problem.

I am guessing it is a safe assumption that requirement applies to any switchbox being used as well.

P.S. The TV was a Samsung series 5. We ended up taking the TV back because we thought it was defective. It all worked out for the better because the Sammy sound was crappy anyhow. My pop has been very happy with the LG we got instead but that is beside the point.

???

Unless the cable was a pre-hdmi standards cable, there is no difference between a 1.1 and a 1.3 cable except the 1.3 cable has been tested to determine if it will support the 1.3 maximmum bandwidth. Many 1.1 cables will meet this standard, especially if they are 6 feet or shorter.

I use a 35 foot 22AWG HDMI cable from my PJ to my 1.1 HDMI switch, and then a 1.1 6 foot cable from the switch to my 622 and I never have any issues. I don't think the 722 even uses HDMI 1.3. If my 622 is in standby, I get the screensaver when I flip my switch.

cable issue possibility

The screen saver is active, but I have only used it with an older 8 foot hdmi cable. I'll try it with a newer 6 foot cable and see if that solves the problem! (everything else is 1.3 compliant for sure, including the switch)

Thanks for all the help!

Zack

???

Unless the cable was a pre-hdmi standards cable, there is no difference between a 1.1 and a 1.3 cable except the 1.3 cable has been tested to determine if it will support the 1.3 maximmum bandwidth. Many 1.1 cables will meet this standard, especially if they are 6 feet or shorter.

I use a 35 foot 22AWG HDMI cable from my PJ to my 1.1 HDMI switch, and then a 1.1 6 foot cable from the switch to my 622 and I never have any issues. I don't think the 722 even uses HDMI 1.3. If my 622 is in standby, I get the screensaver when I flip my switch.

Well, we had the same problem with the replacement LG television hooked up to a 722 with my old HDMI cable. I had used that old HDMI cable on my 622 hooked up to an older Panny HD TV with no problems. However using that cable on the 722 with a brand new television did not work. It was the exact problem the op is describing.

Going to Wally World to get a brand new HDMI 1.3 cable solved the problem. I believe the issue has something to do with 2-way communication needs on the newer up-to-date components. I'm no A/V techie, but that was our real-world experience....

Last edited:
update to issue

So i tried it with the shorter, newer 6 foot HDMI cable. Same issue. With the receiver asleep overnight, this morning I received the no signal message and had to unplug and plug the hdmi cable to get it to work.

Interestingly enough, the longer 8 foot cable that originally gave me an issue is NOT giving me an issue when using it with the AppleTV, which would suggest to me the cable is NOT the issue.

However, the newer cable I got is a cheap one I got through buy.com last week. If there aren't any other suggestions, I may need to find a better quality cable to test it with . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)