Issues Surrounding CUI Update

I remember when I got my first ViP211 in 2006. The installer did not let me keep the HDMI cable that came with it because I did not have an HDTV yet. (I got the ViP211 to get grandfathered for the national feed of CBS HD, since the ViP211 can down-convert HD channels to watch them on analog TV's. The grandfathering became a moot point later that year when Dish lost the ability to offer distant networks. If I had known that I would lose CBS HD that quickly, I probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade my receiver at that time.) I have gotten more than enough free HDMI cables from Dish since then, to make up for them not letting me keep the first one, though. :)

We leave an HDMI wire even if they have an old TV. Hopefully they'll buy that new TV from us. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think it was a bad idea too installing Sling in the DVRs. External attached Slingbox works much better than Dish Anywhere.

Really? I just tried a Slingbox M1, and it was terrible. Any trick play commands caused the app to lose connection, so FF/RW, etc. were unusable. I was under the impression the Hopper3 with DA was going to be better.

Really? I just tried a Slingbox M1, and it was terrible. Any trick play commands caused the app to lose connection, so FF/RW, etc. were unusable. I was under the impression the Hopper3 with DA was going to be better.

My Sling350's work great. Have 3 of them connected to Tivo minis right now at my home, my dads home and our condo in Vegas. Works great, been using them for several years now going back to having Dish and 722 connected to them before moving to cable and Tivo. My dad probably watches 3 hours or so a day via Sling while in Vegas, like they are now. I watched the Broncos/Bears game last week for 3hrs via sling here in Oklahoma from the Vegas Tivo and Slingbox. Didn't drop once while skipping to catch up to live tv. Looked perfect on my 65in 4k screen via the Roku sling app.

The dishanywhere app with a slingadapter always worked great connected to my 722, so I would assume it would work good on the Hoppers too, if you have sufficient upload to stream from the Hopper. I will admit the trick play worked better integrated into Dishanywhere, but using a standalone slingbox has never given me any problems either, other than the delay for the command to go over the internet.

I just tried to record a live program off OTA from the moment I wanted to record. I use to just hit record and it would start recording. Sometimes from the spot I first tuned to the channel. But not now, it just wouldn't do it and kept popping up a screen asking to do a custom timer, of which it looks like what a lot of people have been asking for as manual timers. But it wanted to set itself for half an hour later than the time it actually was and I needed it to start. I got an error saying "tuner conflict". All tuners were available. So I don't know what that is all about? The CGUI is really starting to p!ss me off.

Last edited:
My Sling350's work great. Have 3 of them connected to Tivo minis right now at my home, my dads home and our condo in Vegas. Works great, been using them for several years now going back to having Dish and 722 connected to them before moving to cable and Tivo. My dad probably watches 3 hours or so a day via Sling while in Vegas, like they are now. I watched the Broncos/Bears game last week for 3hrs via sling here in Oklahoma from the Vegas Tivo and Slingbox. Didn't drop once while skipping to catch up to live tv. Looked perfect on my 65in 4k screen via the Roku sling app.

The dishanywhere app with a slingadapter always worked great connected to my 722, so I would assume it would work good on the Hoppers too, if you have sufficient upload to stream from the Hopper. I will admit the trick play worked better integrated into Dishanywhere, but using a standalone slingbox has never given me any problems either, other than the delay for the command to go over the internet.

Yeah. I expected the delay, but what I did not expect was the connection lost error after each command was sent. I have good upload speeds >10Mbps, so I do not think that was the problem, and there are a lot of people who complain about the same behavior on the App reviews. Perhaps the older models are just more reliable?

Spare me please. When the loss of signal occurs I can with the push of a button direct the OTA signal directly to the TV tuner where the picture is perfect. Push the button again and direct the OTA signal through the Hopper, and that "loss of signal" remains. All this under a completely clear sky.
I suspect the U236 but at this time, that is only a guess.
More fun with the CUI. Last evening while watching an OTA channel, I experienced a situation where the "loss of signal" box was superimposed on top of a channel that was still functioning. While I'm pretty certain a reboot would have cleared this up, it in no way obfuscates the fact that there's something amiss with the CUI (or at least the U236) and it's management of OTA signals.

Last night I had another occurrence where I could not erase a recorded show unless I watched it first. When on the DVR screen, when I moved the cursor to the icon, the 'Delete' (Blue Button) choice disappeared from the screen, and if I selected the icon, I was only given the choice to Resume or Start Over. There was no Delete button available. The only way to delete the show was to play it back at high speed until it was over, then the CUI gave me the choice to delete it.

There were many other recorded shows on the DVR screen, but only one of them did not have the choice to delete (unless I watched it first). This has happened to me intermittently ever since getting the forced CUI on my HWS. I am not sure why only certain DVR recordings do not have the Delete option.

Bad recordings, slowness, loss of automatic scheduling on second hopper, my wife hates the gui.

So all in all once football seasons starts I will be trialing the various streaming services that offer cloud dvr and network tv, then most likely I will be on my way.

I just tried to record a live program off OTA from the moment I wanted to record. I use to just hit record and it would start recording. Sometimes from the spot I first tuned to the channel. But not now, it just wouldn't do it and kept popping up a screen asking to do a custom timer, of which it looks like what a lot of people have been asking for as manual timers. But it wanted to set itself for half an hour later than the time it actually was and I needed it to start. I got an error saying "tuner conflict". All tuners were available. So I don't know what that is all about? The CGUI is really starting to p!ss me off.
Yes, that is another feature that Dish removed from the new CUI. With the old interface, I could rewind the program that I was watching, pause, then select Record, and the show would record from the point that I paused. ...another lost feature that I used a lot. Dish does what it wants and does not pay attention to what the customers want.

Yes, that is another feature that Dish removed from the new CUI. With the old interface, I could rewind the program that I was watching, pause, then select Record, and the show would record from the point that I paused. ...Another lost feature that I used a lot. Dish does what it wants and does not pay attention to what the customers want.
That's a deal breaker for me (along with many other minor losses of functionality). Remind me never to upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)