Issues Surrounding CUI Update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wonder why they wouldn't move his recordings then? Or offer to let him move them over and ship the old box back?

What is normal protocol? Will a tech normally transfer for you, only if you have a drive ready or do they have a method to do it?

Also, is a tech required for box upgrade or can you swap out yourself. Wondering if the $100 was more for the service call. If they're charging $100 either way & still sending a tech out, I'll let it be their headache :)

What is normal protocol? Will a tech normally transfer for you, only if you have a drive ready or do they have a method to do it?

Also, is a tech required for box upgrade or can you swap out yourself. Wondering if the $100 was more for the service call. If they're charging $100 either way & still sending a tech out, I'll let it be their headache :)

The technician would not have the time to transfer recordings. The transfer can take 12 hours or more depending on the amount of content to be moved. Upgrading to a Hopper 3 requires a technician since the LNB's need to be changed.

Reactions: littlecloud319
The technician would not have the time to transfer recordings. The transfer can take 12 hours or more depending on the amount of content to be moved. Upgrading to a Hopper 3 requires a technician since the LNB's need to be changed.
And a node to replace the hub. Transferring to an EHD is MUCH faster than a Hopper to Hopper3 transfer.

And a node to replace the hub. Transferring to an EHD is MUCH faster than a Hopper to Hopper3 transfer.

So basically you would need to transfer shows off the HWS to your EHD before the tech arrives, then transfer from the EHD to the H3 after the install is complete, correct?

Great info. I would've been waiting for tech to arrive before starting HDD transfer process. Makes better sense now, as I assume he takes the HWS with him.

I'm going to sleep on this for a bit. I'd be buying a Fire TV to use a remote with PS Vue. That also runs $100 (well $99 + tax). Also, the $100 here seems a little more worth it knowing they have roll a van & pay a tech. PSV only saves me ~$30 so switching was more of a principle line in the sand due to cost & frustration. This option does help piss me off a bit less.

So you guys with H3 dig it? New GUI runs really smooth?

No, tell the technician you need to copy stuff off of it to the new Hopper. He/she will let you keep the box until you're done.

I'm on an H2 with CUI and I have rewound to the beginning of a program several times and started the recording there capturing all the program that was in the buffer, just rewind and press the record button on the remote.
That's what I did on my H2 with the CGUI. It worked great prior to the CGUI. It didn't work after, that's why I posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
So basically you would need to transfer shows off the HWS to your EHD before the tech arrives, then transfer from the EHD to the H3 after the install is complete, correct?

Except i have a big - persistent problem.

my 2 HWS' will not format and except a previously utilized EHD.

Not sure about brand new out of the box EHD, but i've tried to use two separate EHD that previously provided HD service for 2 @ 211K's with no luck.

anybody else having this issue.

in the past Dish needed to authorize a receiver to allow an external drive. I wonder if Dish needs to authorize your receiver to accept an external drive. Is the receiver acknowledging that a drive has been plugged in?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Not sure about brand new out of the box EHD, but i've tried to use two separate EHD that previously provided HD service for 2 @ 211K's with no luck.

Try reformatting it from a computer first so it thinks it’s a new drive. The Hopper probably isn’t capable of recognizing the old format they used.

Use a PC to delete the partitions off the old 211 drive - the H2's should then be able to format.

I haven't watched much TV this week on my main HWS (use Dish Anywhere in office). Running it this morning, the firmware updates seem to have improved the performance. There is still some lag but it seems better. Pushing live TV when viewing a recording, pressing DVR from live TV, or pressing guide from DVR... were all laughably bad before. Now there's a slight hang up but I don't find myself pressing the buttons twice thinking it didn't register. I can 100% confirm I'm not imagining the improvement.

Shows I'm not at software U236 from 7/28/17 (guessing that was the main update) & firmware 0015. Guess one of those night updates helped? Anyone else notice?

Edit/Add: After some more testing, still seems sluggish from "a cold start." Meaning you're watching a tuner for a bit then hit menus. If you're already in menus, seems to be running a tad better IMO.

Was HBO/Show a requirement or you were already getting that so they cut it down? I have no personal interest in those.
Also, anyone know why you wouldn't be able to transfer recordings if you have a HDD ready?
That would be a bummer for me. I have a ton of kiddo movie & shows recorded for the fam. I would get over my personal movies recorded. My movies I re-watch, I own.
For a clean $100, no contract, no requirement for premium channles... I'd be interested. Transferring shows would be a big bonus.
I had HBO/Sho already. She volunteered to reduce them without me asking.

No, tell the technician you need to copy stuff off of it to the new Hopper. He/she will let you keep the box until you're done.
Depends on the technician and how knowledgeable you (dish customer) are about things. I just had a Hopper 2000 replaced with a Hopper w/sling. Aside from this 3rd party install tech saying it couldn't be done, also tried to tell me you couldn't have 3 hoppers on the account, couldn't use ganged DPP44's (not hopper3) and duo or single & duo nodes .. etc etc etc.. even when i printed the placard that *dish themselves made* or had my laptop sitting right there while waiting for the signal acq, and showed him the instructions for copying from receiver to receiver via ethernet, AND that it was on DISH's OWN "my dish" site.

The lack of this tech's knowledge, constant barrage of mis-information, and outright refusal to do anything other than swap the H2000 for the HWS sent me over the edge this weekend .. had I the ability to murder and get away with it, I was at that level of "thin the herd, this one's not needed, that one's not adding to the gene pool" etc.. and sorry to say such a thing but its that or let fly with a string of obscenities that would probably get me banned for life.

personally I'm right now testing one of the DPP44's and my wiring because when we wired up it failed to do signals properly.. first clue was temperature (cold vs working hardware being lightly warm) Second was seeing 1 sat on DPP44 #1, but seeing 3Sats if going straight through DPP44#2. Thankfully for amazon prime, another DPP44 arrives later today and should solve all the rest of my problems.

The lack of this tech's knowledge, constant barrage of mis-information, and outright refusal to do anything other than swap the H2000 for the HWS sent me over the edge this weekend .. had I the ability to murder and get away with it, I was at that level of "thin the herd, this one's not needed, that one's not adding to the gene pool" etc.. and sorry to say such a thing but its that or let fly with a string of obscenities that would probably get me banned for life.
Over TV ? Frightening....

I had the same problem trying to get an original Hopper with the old UI to recognize a hard drive that had been formatted for a ViP211k. The Hopper did not even detect that the hard drive had been hooked up. I re-formatted the hard drive using a ViP612, and then the Hopper recognized it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)