Issues Surrounding CUI Update

Thinking about going with the Hopper 3 since it appears like the bleeding with the H1's will not stop anytime soon. Couple questions before I pull the trigger. Are there any issues with the H3 that I might need to expect? Has there been a good success rate in transferring recordings from H1 to H3? What is the best method to do this, external HD or connecting the two receivers via ethernet? Is there a way to transfer timers? I think I read somewhere that one can back them up to the remote, pair the old remote to H3, then restore the timers?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I transferred recordings from my H1 to an EHD and they play just fine on my H3... And yes, back up your timers on your 40 remote and then transfer them to your H3. Do not let an installer take your 40 remote!

Just "me too"ing this thread. I have a Hopper 1, no Sling or Joey.

Like the OP, I'm dismayed that the new UI has made almost everything not just a little bit slower, but WAY slower; it's teetering at the edge of being tolerable. There are very sluggish responses when when switching between the guide, the DVR, and live TV, as well as when making selections or just trying to view program info. Sometimes I have to wait 10 to 20 seconds for a button press to register.

In addition, I only get a black screen when I try to play my old DVR'd content which I had copied over to a secondary HD. It was working before the upgrade. Now I can only browse that HD but can't watch anything from it. There is an error message that pops up for a split-second when I start playing something, but I can't read it because the black screen is on top of it. I think it was something about checking the channel subscription.

As others reported, the fwd/back speed changes make it really hard to navigate as precisely as before. And the Home Media app is utterly useless now because it is only playing content in a tiny window in the upper right corner of the screen; the rest of the screen is black.

I would have thought that enough people would have complained by now that these bugs would have been fixed, but apparently there are no fixes forthcoming.

Upgrading to an H3 means paying a higher ransom just to get the same level of functionality (minus the fwd/back speed of the old UI) that I had before these UI changes crippled my H1, right? They already ding me $12 a month for the H1 DVR, $55 for the basic Dish America w/local channels...the total with fees comes out to $68.88 a month, which is all I can afford. For this I get no premium channels, half my DVR'd recordings are now unusable, I can't even use the Home Media app anymore, and it's ridiculously slow. I feel like a chump every time I pay the bill.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Just "me too"ing this thread. I have a Hopper 1, no Sling or Joey.

Like the OP, I'm dismayed that the new UI has made almost everything not just a little bit slower, but WAY slower; it's teetering at the edge of being tolerable. There are very sluggish responses when when switching between the guide, the DVR, and live TV, as well as when making selections or just trying to view program info. Sometimes I have to wait 10 to 20 seconds for a button press to register.

In addition, I only get a black screen when I try to play my old DVR'd content which I had copied over to a secondary HD. It was working before the upgrade. Now I can only browse that HD but can't watch anything from it. There is an error message that pops up for a split-second when I start playing something, but I can't read it because the black screen is on top of it. I think it was something about checking the channel subscription.

As others reported, the fwd/back speed changes make it really hard to navigate as precisely as before. And the Home Media app is utterly useless now because it is only playing content in a tiny window in the upper right corner of the screen; the rest of the screen is black.

I would have thought that enough people would have complained by now that these bugs would have been fixed, but apparently there are no fixes forthcoming.

Upgrading to an H3 means paying a higher ransom just to get the same level of functionality (minus the fwd/back speed of the old UI) that I had before these UI changes crippled my H1, right? They already ding me $12 a month for the H1 DVR, $55 for the basic Dish America w/local channels...the total with fees comes out to $68.88 a month, which is all I can afford. For this I get no premium channels, half my DVR'd recordings are now unusable, I can't even use the Home Media app anymore, and it's ridiculously slow. I feel like a chump every time I pay the bill.

I have 2 hopper with sling receivers both running the latest carbon software U235. I have 2 hard drives connected to the family room receiver and 1 hard drive connected to the living room receiver. When you first try to play any recording from the hard drives, all you get is the black screen. What you have to do is exit the DVR recording by either going back to live tv or a menu. After that you can successfully play the content on the external drives. This started with the new carbon interface. It appears as if the new USB drivers can't successfully interface with the external drives the first time. After the first unsuccessful attempt, it works.

From what I have read, hopper 3 receivers also have had this problem. I am not sure if it has been fixed or not. I know for a long time, the new carbon interface would not recognize any external drives. Dish finally fixed that but I believe that problems still exist when trying to play content from the external drives. Again the work around solution is to attempt one time and get the black screen. Exit the black screen and the second attempt will work. Of course I am doing this on a HWS which is more powerful than a hopper 1.

I am sure that Dish is aware of the problem but I wonder if they can fix it. For those with hopper 3 receivers and external drives, Do you get a black screen the first time you access your external drive content?

I have 2 hopper with sling receivers both running the latest carbon software U235. I have 2 hard drives connected to the family room receiver and 1 hard drive connected to the living room receiver. When you first try to play any recording from the hard drives, all you get is the black screen. What you have to do is exit the DVR recording by either going back to live tv or a menu. After that you can successfully play the content on the external drives. This started with the new carbon interface. It appears as if the new USB drivers can't successfully interface with the external drives the first time. After the first unsuccessful attempt, it works.

From what I have read, hopper 3 receivers also have had this problem. I am not sure if it has been fixed or not. I know for a long time, the new carbon interface would not recognize any external drives. Dish finally fixed that but I believe that problems still exist when trying to play content from the external drives. Again the work around solution is to attempt one time and get the black screen. Exit the black screen and the second attempt will work. Of course I am doing this on a HWS which is more powerful than a hopper 1.

I am sure that Dish is aware of the problem but I wonder if they can fix it. For those with hopper 3 receivers and external drives, Do you get a black screen the first time you access your external drive content?

H3s still do the black screen first try on EHD. At least mine does with U500.

The HWS still does the black screenie thing on the first attempt. This has got to be fixed. Dish has had plenty of time to fix this one major issue.
Dish needs to hire some real programmers and quit picking them up every morning at the unemployment office getting new workers each day.

I transferred recordings from my H1 to an EHD and they play just fine on my H3... And yes, back up your timers on your 40 remote and then transfer them to your H3. Do not let an installer take your 40 remote!
When you restored your timers to your new H3 from the 40 remote how did it happen? I've heard rumors that the H3 or a newer box will try to overwrite the remote when it's paired to the new box. Did you have to pair first or did it just see the new remote and allow you to do the transfer with no incident?

When you restored your timers to your new H3 from the 40 remote how did it happen? I've heard rumors that the H3 or a newer box will try to overwrite the remote when it's paired to the new box. Did you have to pair first or did it just see the new remote and allow you to do the transfer with no incident?

Your post is below mine, but I do not see to which post that you are replying. I do not have a H3, I have a HWS.

I simply paired the 40 remote and then did a restore. It was some time ago, a year and a half, I may have needed to wait a few days to let the H3 settle in. I do remember that it didn't seem to take at first but several hours later all of the timers were there.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I simply paired the 40 remote and then did a restore. It was some time ago, a year and a half, I may have needed to wait a few days to let the H3 settle in. I do remember that it didn't seem to take at first but several hours later all of the timers were there.
The same thing happened to me when I paired a 52.0 to my new Hopper 3. About an hour later all the timers appeared. Also, one of my EHDs took about an hour to show up too.

I've had bad luck with doing restores. On more than one occasion, it has restored a 'set' of timers that were certainly not my current ones. I figured I should have done a back-up first, which I didn't, then did a restore even though the remotes are supposed to auto-backup pretty frequently. So next time I did force a back-up, did a restore, and again, old data.... Now, I either write down my timers on a piece of paper or I take a picture of the timer list !

Ahhh... just let the CUI work itself out and settle in....Blah Blah. One week into letting the cui settle in....And its just as bad as when i stupidly signed on for an H3 back when. Its Still hot garbage. I haven't even plugged in my EHD since the "upgrade" dunno if it works or not, i doubt it, but why infect my ehd to the cui unless i have to?
Right now im trying to play a custom playlist from my 300 plus music files like i have since i had that Awesome 722. But no, cant do that with the awesome upgrade. Good Lord Dish, quit hiring dumbass millennial engineers that care more about the look and all the cool stuff they think they can do and give us the Cool stuff that worked.

Soooo x15 is the absolute slowest you can RR/FF now? No way to change that in settings? Saw speeds mentioned above.

It's ok for commercials I guess, but if you missed a quick line of a show or want to rewatch a sports play... good luck not going way too far back.

How could they mess up something so simple?

My HWS is a bit laggy so I imagine the original is rough.

Reactions: joewhite57
Soooo x15 is the absolute slowest you can RR/FF now? No way to change that in settings? Saw speeds mentioned above.

It's ok for commercials I guess, but if you missed a quick line of a show or want to rewatch a sports play... good luck not going way too far back.

How could they mess up something so simple?

Sadly, no way around it. 4X is gone...and AMEN to your last question. Apparently Dish Management thought have four different trick play speeds was just way too complicated. :rolleyes:

Yeah the skip is ok. I'm often preswing it 3-4 times (crying kiddos, etc). Why do I need a separate button for something I could do before with you know... the rewind button... that I've been using since 1989 on my VCR. It's a pretty baffling & standard thing to remove.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts