Issues Surrounding CUI Update

I would Pay to go back to the previous UI...... Oh wait i already did that.
16 months of a simple search function. Hitting the swap button and instantly swapping-INSTANTLY- No black screen, No banner to tell me the channel im swapping to because the CUI thinks im too stupid to remember the channel im swapping. Pausing the PiP channel and going back to it and NOT the box deciding it should go live because the program changed. Scrolling the guide up and down and NOT have lags.... Pushing the search button an seeing All the similar shows and Not the BS shows that have Nothing to do with the show you searched? WTF does Greys Anatomy have to do with Rick And Morty?

Your post is below mine, but I do not see to which post that you are replying. I do not have a H3, I have a HWS.
Sorry for the confusion, you mentioned H3 so I thought maybe, I didn't really think anything. I also left it open for a "new box" so it could be anything and not primarily an H3. I was just curious about the whole process and how well it worked and what's the best way to make it work.

Thanks to those for the further conversation and how it work for you.

Just wanted to give an update to my original posting. I decided to accept an upgrade to the Hopper 3 and all I can say is "wow!" I don't know if this thing is truly that fast, or if I was just becoming used to the slowness of the CUI on H1, but the H3 certainly purrs for sure. HUGE difference in operation, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. As big of a difference if the H1 were still running original software? Hard to say. But CUI was meant to be ran on this system.

So far, I have had no issues. It is going to take some getting used to the snappiness of skipping forward/backward on recorded programs, though. I sometimes get carried away, and when I need to use FF or RW to make small adjustments, I can see what everyone is talking about when they complain about the removed slower speed increments. It's just way to much movement at one time when trying to pinpoint a certain spot in the recording.

I would like to mention a few things that I chose for my setup. For one, I'm not a big fan of the 52.0 remote. Although I like the build quality and sleekness, the removal of several key buttons, like stop, combining buttons and burying functions into multiple presses instead of one, and a layout that, for me anyway, forces you to look at the remote all the time is just too much. I kept my 40.0 remotes and couldn't be happier. I've now deemed them the "Power User Remote" for the H3 system. More buttons mean much quicker navigation, plus I can operate without looking.

I also went with a 4K Joey simply for the speed, and I'm so glad I did. The speed and operation is exactly like being on the Hopper itself, and I would even venture to say it might be a tad quicker in some instances. I'm not a big Netflix user and have went this long without it being on any of my receivers, so I'll take the speed of the 4K Joey any day. I was a little surprised when my installer told me his crew was laughing at him when he told them he had a work order for a 4K Joey. They thought he was joking. Apparently they never install these. He said this one had probably been in his van for at least a year or more. Heck, he wasn't for sure it even hooked up to coax until he took it out of the box. I don't understand why Dish isn't pushing these more. No wonder Netflix and promised updates haven't happened yet.

Anyway, so far so good. Hopefully it stays that way. By making a few modifications to the setup, like using the older remotes, I'm a pretty happy camper, especially with all these tuners.

I was a little surprised when my installer told me his crew was laughing at him when he told them he had a work order for a 4K Joey. They thought he was joking. Apparently they never install these. He said this one had probably been in his van for at least a year or more. Heck, he wasn't for sure it even hooked up to coax until he took it out of the box. I don't understand why Dish isn't pushing these more. No wonder Netflix and promised updates haven't happened yet.
That's interesting..... I wonder how common this is around the country. I had to dig around a little bit to find where Dish even "promotes" the 4K Joey so I wonder if their reps mention it to new customers signing up ? Seems like the majority of 4K Joey users may have had to know about it beforehand and ask for it...

That's interesting..... I wonder how common this is around the country. I had to dig around a little bit to find where Dish even "promotes" the 4K Joey so I wonder if their reps mention it to new customers signing up ? Seems like the majority of 4K Joey users may have had to know about it beforehand and ask for it...

When looking across the entire subscriber base, you figure the number of folks who are interested in 4K programming at more than one TV location (and willing to spend the add'l $50 4K Joey fee) has got to be pretty small, and most are going to want 4K at their primary viewing location, which would be covered by the Hopper 3.

I had to dig around a little bit to find where Dish even "promotes" the 4K Joey so I wonder if their reps mention it to new customers signing up ? Seems like the majority of 4K Joey users may have had to know about it beforehand and ask for it...

If you sign up via the Dish website, you don't get a 4k Joey unless you explicitly ask for 4k on secondary TVs (and then you have to pay a $50 fee per TV for the thing) so I would not be surprised if few people have them. When my secondary TV was my 720p kitchen TV, I went for it only because I heard here that the box was basically as fast as the Hopper 3 itself and much faster than the other Joeys out there. Now that I have a third TV and got a Wireless Joey, saying the 4k Joey is "fast" is an understatement. The Wireless Joey runs like a dog.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Right, not at all. Never had a wireless joey pre-CUI (and have had a Hopper 3 since last year after an 18 month Dish hiatus) so no idea how it performed before, but its performance is certainly lacking now. Every action has a 2 second lag to it where as the 4k Joey is as instant as the Hopper 3 itself.

I personally don't have a problem with the CUI otherwise and for my uses represents an improvement over everything of Dish's I have used before.

I also forgot to mention that I was able to transfer all my timers successfully using my old remotes. I did a backup manually the night before. After the installer left, I unpaired the 52.0 remote, paired the old remote, then did a restore of settings from old remote. Timer list showed up instantly, but it took a few (nervous) minutes before it populated the daily recording schedule. I only mention this because I saw a lot of confusion on whether this could even be done.

The tech must not have had a clue because he first wasn't too open to letting me keep my remotes and even said they wouldn't work with the new Hopper. I explained they would and asked to at least just let me try. He (not surprisingly) must not have been trained very well on these issues to not even know that a 40.0 remote will easily work on any Hopper.

Reactions: pattykay
I went for it only because I heard here that the box
Exactly, you knew about it to ask for it. The average person signing up likely won't have any idea about it. They may research the "main" receiver and might even be familiar with "client" boxes (cable uses them for "whole-home" systems and Directv does as well) but as far as having options, such as a 4K-capable model, many won't realize that.

We have not had any real problems with the new CUI other than a little slower. I have missed the 4X FF a few times but really was not a big user of that function except occasionally. The one minor problem I did have was trying to transfer recordings to EHD. First it took me about 15 minutes of looking around before I finally figured out how to do it, nothing like the old UI. Then when I tried to transfer recordings, I highlighted the recording I wanted to transfer and then hit the number (6 I think?) and it takes me to the transfer screen with the button highlighted. No matter how many times I hit enter it would not transfer anything. I tried it with several recordings and then just gave up.

As far as the 4KJ goes, if I were ever to upgrade to H3 system, which is unlikely, I would want the 4KJ for the MBR for the SWAP function alone not just the speed. But my understanding is they still have not enabled that function on 4KJ. That is a deal breaker for me. We have 2 HWS, 1 in FR and 1 in MBR and I like the redundancy for 1, but I LOVE the SWAP and PIP and wouldn't be without it on both FR AND MBR TVs or I will stick with what I have.

Reactions: pattykay