It just got to be too much, cancelled Dish

Even Discovery, UHD, InHD1/2, HDnet, etc., tend to repeat a lot of their programing. I can't begin to imagine what Voom would be like, since Charlie wouldn't even allow a preview.

kenny911 said:
I know Comcast in SE Michigan is 100% digital.

No it is not, they are trying, but still a little ways to go.

6+ year DISH sub here,one of those $100+/mo. customers,but,not anymore.For my part,I will make this short and to the point.I will dump DISH,go to OTA and wait for the local phone co-op to roll out their IPTV package and see how it looks.In my area,the choices have always been DBS or basic,crappy cable.No digital cable plans from Comcast for this area for no telling how long.HD OTA in this area looks much better than HD-Lite on DISH anytime,anyday of the week.

I am in the same boat (was an 8 year subscriber). I canceled a year ago because they would only give the good deals to “NEW” customers.
So I canceled last year and hooked up VoOm last year for a $1. It was great and reasonably priced. Well that didn’t last long! Tried to get Direct TV but they wanted to put a pole in the yard because it points a different directions. (I have a lot of trees and live in a valley on 10 acres)
Back to dish I go and had to put the account under my wife name and cell phone number.
Now I just received the new vip411 receiver and the new VoOm channels and ESPN2 for NHRA Drag Racing in HD.
I do get tired of paying almost $100 for television but I signed another 18 month contract.
I’m a glutton for punishment.
If I could get cable I would have switched years ago. I live in the country no DSL or cable. What is next?

Let's hear from all you Dish Droppers in about 6 months and see if you are still happy campers or just as pissed at your current provider as you are currently with Dish. Lots of Luck. The grass always looks greener, we wil see.

Adelphia in my area offers no HD. SBC can't keep even a DSL line up and my phone is crackly. I am switching to Cable Modem and VoIP, but will likely upgrade to a VIP622 despite all the flaws because of Cable options in my neighborhood. This is despite being in one of the biggest markets in the world, Los Angeles.

I'm also not so impressed with BrightHouse in Sarasota, where my sister is. PQ is not great on many channels, I hate their guide system, SA 6000HD DVR is not the best, but overall if that was offered in my area, I'd still consider switching.

We'll see how the cable modem goes and if Adelphia offers good service on that. I can't imagine that HD content is far behind in my area anyway...

I just canceled my Dish service. I was only with them 10 months after Voom demise but I only got it for the supplemental HD. I did watch a few hours a week but with the new $5 per month increase and the new packages for the new HD just sent me through the roof. I just could not justify the price for a few HD channels when I already have Directv. They pushed hard on the phone but I said unless you give me HD package for $30 per month, I cant float it. Sorry Dish. I am surprised but you just priced yourself out of my house.

Last edited:
jerryez - if i get FIOS in the next 6 months (as planned) I will be sure to let you know how much better it is than the HDLITE poo-poo that DISH is giving you.

OK, the thing about all this is, a few months ago, say September, October, and November, I was on this and other boards reading post from people saying stuff like "I'm going to go buy me a 942" "Dish won't be going to MPEG4 anytime soon, so I'm going to go get a 942", "I bought my 942 today, I ordered my 942 yesterday, how do I get a $250 upgrade for a 942, etc..." Every post that I read like this there was at least 1 person that pointed out, "don't get one, they'll be obsolete soon" I even posted this a few times myself, however, the warning fell on deaf ears, no one wanted to hear it, they didn't care, because they had to have the latest and greatest NOW, and no matter what anyone else said, they were going to get the latest and greatest NOW.

I understand that most didn't know that the 942 would become obsolete 2-1-2006, however, most don't know about the 622 or 211 yet, most don't know about a few more channels that requires a new receiver, and even if they did, most don't have to have the newest and latest! You guys are talking about this like Dish is forcing you to get rid of your 942, they are not! You, are the one that wants to get a 622 NOW, and because you now can't sell your 942 for $500 or whatever, your pissed. Here is an idea, DON'T go buy a 622 NOW, wait another year or two, Dish isn't making you upgrade, you are the one that wants to upgrade.

If we go back to the computer or Microsoft idea, new processors come out very often, hell six months ago if you bought a Intel system, you already can't upgrade to the newest Dual Core P4's, for you to do this, you would have to go out and buy a new motherboard and CPU (possibly new memory), say $300 (ATLEAST!!!) but because you don't have to have the fastest and best processor, you don't upgrade yet, though if you did, you'd have a faster machine. Same thing goes for Dish, you bought a 942 for $700 1, 2, 3, or 4 months ago, however, now Dish has come out with new receivers and with these new receivers you'll also be able to look at new channels that Dish now offers. With Dish you get new receivers and channels, with Intel you get new CPU and faster machine, however, neither require you to upgrade ANYTHING, it is your choice, if you want faster machine or if you want new channels, it isn't forcing you to upgrade. Like Intel, Microsoft, etc. Dish isn't telling you, YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE, they are simply giving you the option to upgrade. If it was a have too, then your argument would have some ground, but since it isn't forced, and in fact it is voluntary, your gripping about something that you yourself have caused.

Go ahead and move to cable, if you really think Dish is so horrible, but don't try to make it out to be something Dish made you do. If you didn't have to have everything NOW, the whole issue wouldn't be there. Rates go up, that like others have said, is a fact of life. And you lost OLN, but really, how much worth did that channel have? If Dish would have raised the price $4 just because they kept OLN, then raised it the other $3 or $4 that they did, would you be saying what you say? Or would you be gripping even more, because now Dish raised your bill by $7 or $8 instead of $3-4?

And have any of you guys asked the great cable company "how much will my bill be after the promotion period?" I'll bet none of you are paying what you will in 6-12 months. Its like DSL in my area, they are offering it for something like $14.95 a month, however, it is only for the first 6 months then it goes up to $21.95 or something like that. I'll bet your cable company will do something like this too, now it is $55 for instance, but in 6-12 months it will be $108 or some other higher number.

Last edited:
Yragha said:
All I can say is enjoy it while it last...

I'm dumping Time Warner here in Houston come Monday and getting Dish Network.

The picture can't be any worse on Dish and with the constant cable price raising I think I'll enjoy Dish and all the more choices it has to offer.

Don't bet on it.

tonyp56 said:
OK, the thing about all this is, a few months ago, say September, October, and November, I was on this and other boards reading post from people saying stuff like "I'm going to go buy me a 942" "Dish won't be going to MPEG4 anytime soon, so I'm going to go get a 942"...

I understand that most didn't know that the 942 would become obsolete 2-1-2006, however, most don't know about the 622 or 211 yet, most don't know about a few more channels that requires a new receiver, and even if they did, most don't have to have the newest and latest! You guys are talking about this like Dish is forcing you to get rid of your 942, they are not! You, are the one that wants to get a 622 NOW, and because you now can't sell your 942 for $500 or whatever, your pissed. Here is an idea, DON'T go buy a 622 NOW, wait another year or two, Dish isn't making you upgrade, you are the one that wants to upgrade.

I think you missed a big part of the point. Before I went to E*, I had no TV for the last 9 months because my apt complex gets some rinky-dink cable outfit that doesn't offer HD. I can't get TWC/RR where I am because of some stupid FCC loophole.

Here's what pisses me (and probably a lot of others) off - I got my 942 at the end of Nov. I LEASE this equipment from E* and now they want me to fork out another $299 on top of the $299+ I just gave them less than 3 months ago so I can get ALL of the HD channels. It's not all about having "cool" equipment. I pay them extra every month to get HD along with the extra DVR fee, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm not getting what I'm paying for. I'm paying for HD and they are witholding half of it from me and won't let me upgrade my receiver. That's what's making me think about telling them to shove it and just get TV on my OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)