It may be a bad one-motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
The S9 should be able to push around a Powermax SG9120B, should it not?
If yes, then I hope they have more than a 15 minute warranty.
Power in, nothing works.
Power out of it to LNB, nothing.

RT.

My s10 is the same way. It will move it, but very slowly. I hook up any other receiver to it and it moves fine. Mine is a 9120 also.

Ted,

The specs on the SG9120 say operating current is 180ma. This is well below the 500ma. max the OpenBox is able to output. I operate with my OpenBox a Usals motor thru two switches no problem. When your repaired S-9 arrives I think it will run that motor just fine.

Ke4est,

Did you look at the thermistor part # in your S-10. It could be both of you guys need to change out that part. I still have a few left over if you guys need one.

Sure is odd that my current and working well S9 won't even light the pilot light. Stick 15 volts from a 1 amp power supply and it (motor) works OK. ??? I don't have that variable power resistor to test what it will put out, but it makes the LNB's happy.

Will sure try "quality repaired by Pixl" S9 as soon as it arrives. My best guess will be Tuesday.

Meow.

Using an Openbox S9 to drive a 9120B perfectly here. I suspect its one of those Openbox power supply issues...

My Openbox hasn't been used as much as some, since its not on every day and when it is on, it isn't usually on for more than a couple of hours at a time. It will probably develop the usual symptoms some time in the future, and when it does, I'll be able to repair it thanks to the members here who have researched the circuitry and shared their repair techniques :) ...

Well, we know the repaired unit has no trouble with 400+ma, so I suspect the motor. Ammeter inline to your power supply reads?

Well, we know the repaired unit has no trouble with 400+ma, so I suspect the motor. Ammeter inline to your power supply reads?
120Ma. As stated "it does not compute."
Coax out of S9 for about 8 feet, a break, 2 F connectors and a barrel, then out to LNB's. Open that break, plug S9 into motor and other to out of motor. Power up S9, no pilot light on motor, no run, no power past motor to LNB's.
Swap out the S9 for a 1 amp power supply at 15 volts and motor works just fine with a 120Ma draw when moving. I have a mystery motor......

RT.

Mystery is solved!
It is the motor power input connector. Call it a one in a million defect in manufacture. The center connector is recessed deeper than a normal female F connector. It requires a longer than normal center wire coming out of the F connector to make contact.
This was not a problem when testing the motor with a power supply because I pushed a straightened paper clip into the connector and snapped an alligator clip on to it. The paper clip went in far enough to make electrical contact.
So now that it works, I have to decide where and when to put the motor now that "Summer" is over here in Michigan. Those 80's sure were nice. My records show I had snow on the ground in late April in 2011.

RT,

Good find. That kind of thing can be tough. I had the same thing one time with a tv splitter, drove me nuts why some stuff worked and other did not!
Does the repaired OpenBox work on it now?
Also I sent you a e-mail about coming to Ludington tomorrow to look at that dish.
See you soon.

Good detective work there! Who would'a thought?? We're not "out of the woods" here either, weather wise, by any reasoning yet. Our biggest and worst weather is almost always in Apr--.(Shhhhh, no hinting that we WANT any)

.....Does the repaired OpenBox work on it now?
Also I sent you a e-mail about coming to Ludington tomorrow to look at that dish.
See you soon.
Yes, both will make the motor work.
RT, the dish, and I are ready. RT will be under the bed when he hears someone coming. He is one cat that no one could ever cat-nap. They could never catch him.

T.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)