It may be time to go to DISH network or cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep, everything in life can be a damned if you do/don't situation if you choose to see it that way. AND hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

I see your point, but I don't pay 1/12 of my home's value each year in insurance costs.

Paying $6.00 a month for a year for service call insurance equals the cost of one service call.

To equate that in homeowners insurance would mean for a value of $120,000, I would be paying $10,000 a month each year. Yes, the homeowners insurance is a necessity, given the potential for loss.

I don't see the same value in service call insurance.

Last edited:
I have Directv insurance. Does it cover running a new cable to my DVR? It only has 1 and I would like to have 2, so I can record 1 program and watch another.

And here is another point. If someone has their system professionally installed for them and it comes with a warranty, does that warranty not cover service calls? If so, what is the need for the service call insurance?

the install is guaranteed for 6 months against any install issues.

your dog chewed the coax?? $$

you demanded a pole mount and you cut the coax in the flower garden, you pay!! $$$

one last thing and MY biggest bone of contention.. LISTEN UP!!

if you did a self install, then got the insurance and your 120 foot long coax run thru the attic and wall fished thru three stories some how went bad.....THE INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER IT. if it was chargeable at install it is chargeable with insurance. if i could have charged for any service at install it is STILL $$$$$$$ to you, and NO im not waiting for DIRECTV to pay me.....you are, then get a credit on your bill.

Dragon, I am listening. I heard every word you said and I do not disagree.

I fully understand that the warranty covers the installation and does not cover abuse or anything else not the fault of the installer.

I don't see the point in getting insurance for a self-install. Anything that was done would be my fault and wouldn't be covered by insurance.

And I really wish you wouldn't hold EVERYONE who does a self-install in such disdain. I am sure you have seen your share of idiots out there, do not paint me with the same brush. I make my living as an A/V tech, so I am fairly technically-inclined.

sheridan,

i have seen wires thru windows, i have went to homes the self install was great, ive seen a/v techs that were great at a/v and sucked at satellite, and ive seen phone techs that were both experts and idiots.

ive seen cable subs that could be sat gods and sat techs that i WISH would do cable!

work ethic means a lot.

if i was a normal guy and self installed, wait 6 months then get the insurance, that is my advice

Fair enough, just because I am an A/V tech doesn't mean I can do anything else. I can understand that. That's why education is key and why I frequent places like this, to learn more. I do not like to delve into something complicated and technical without arming myself with the information necessary to do the job.

Sometimes, the information tells me enough to realize, hey, this one is best left to a pro. And then I do.

Dragon, I always appreciate your pov and insight.

Have a good evening.

dragon002 said:

you demanded a pole mount and you cut the coax in the flower garden, you pay!! $$$

if you did a self install, then got the insurance and your 120 foot long coax run thru the attic and wall fished thru three stories some how went bad.....THE INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER IT. if it was chargeable at install it is chargeable with insurance. if i could have charged for any service at install it is STILL $$$$$$$ to you, and NO im not waiting for DIRECTV to pay me.....you are, then get a credit on your bill.

I do not understand that. If I get options added to my car at the dealer when I buy it, they are covered under the warranty. It should be the same for my install, unless I'm not understanding and you are strictly talking self installs here, but I don't think so.

scot,

easy way of putting it,if it isnt included in the standard basic install, it isnt covered.

example, at time of install you wanted a pole mount in the middle of the yard, you installed the pole and buried your own coax to save $$. you have the insurance, and lose signal. i determine it is the coax, (say a mole chewed thru it). we will replace the coax free of charge, BUT you are still getting the shovel out, if i bury it you are paying.

dragon002 said:
scot,

easy way of putting it,if it isnt included in the standard basic install, it isnt covered.

example, at time of install you wanted a pole mount in the middle of the yard, you installed the pole and buried your own coax to save $$. you have the insurance, and lose signal. i determine it is the coax, (say a mole chewed thru it). we will replace the coax free of charge, BUT you are still getting the shovel out, if i bury it you are paying.

I understand what you are saying but WHY? Why won't D* stand behind the COMPLETE install.

Example. I bought my new Mini Cooper but the radio was a dealer install. If I move and something happens to the radio, Mini STILL stands by the radio at any dealer in the country. Why shouldn't D* do the same?

dragon002 said:

I do E* installs. They also do not cover the old dog chewed cable. If it is a DHPP or DHA service call, and it is none too difficult to replace that cable, I write those up as *lnb* replacement. ;)

This past Monday I had a non DHA/DHPP (aka, customer owned all equipment--out of warranty) service call that involved dog chewed cable. These are the ones that get written up 100% acurately. You see, its a non warranty service call to begin with. E* nails you for 2 hours of labor on a non warranty service call @ $59/hr. Think about that before you switch. I didn't charge the customer. She paid enough, plus she was kind of cute. :D Therefore, the payment I recieve from dish will be suitable.

One other thing to consider vis a vis E* and service call is that they charge $99 unless you are under a commitment, then it is $29. What that extended warranty *really* covers is them mailing you a reciever and you swapping it out yourself, which is fine, if

a) the reciever was the problem
b) you don't frack it all up. If you do, you'll be paying and waiting.

What gets me giggling is when E* offers to send a replacement unit, and the customer balks at lifting a finger, then gripes about having to pay for me to come do it for them. I just find it utterly hillarious that people pay E* for E* to fix E*'s equipment. That's almost as sweet a scam as the rent to own business.

From what I saw of D*'s "protection" plan, it is the exact same thing, but I haven't installed a D* in over a year.

As a rule of thumb, I won't touch a self installed system. Hey, its so easy, you did it yourself. :D I'd rather just be out the gas money than have to deal with some nitwits abortion.

vurbano said:
run sch 80 conduit and make dragon do the pull for free

I had a customer try that. They had a self installed D* and switched to E*. It was going across the driveway. They doped all the sweep 90s and sealed everything up. They did run a string in it, but there were so many bends, the string wouldn't budge. I just told them if they wanted E*, fine. No way, no how I was digging across that driveway. I made them fully aware that if they accepted this and then tried to run a scam on dish and get me charged back, they would be getting a bill. :D I buried it right up to the edge of the driveway.

wow chad,

one of ergenstiens zombies that TELLS IT LIKE IT IS!!!

im impressed. hell....im shocked!!

chad is correct about e* pricing, you pay the insurance and still pay $29, with directv you pay the insurance and NO fee.

Since I pay for the insurance, what if my roof leaks from my dish? I know they wont cover the damage done to my house (if any), but will they send somebody out to re-seal the bolts at no charge?

So basically, the ONLY thing the insurance covers is dish alignment and if the receiver goes out? I noticed it says that it covers damage due to a power surge but not acts of God. So if lightning strikes my dish and burns up my receiver Im screwed?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)