Its Not Just Dish...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Lost All Over disputes.
I'm not convinced that what you're saying is entirely fair. VOOM wasn't viable as a programming suite. I believe that it wasn't so much that DISH "lost" VOOM as Rainbow failed to keep it going.

Like Smithsonian, if the provider fails to provide significant new content, what's the point of keeping a channel around? 100-150 hours of new content per year? Really??? That works out to just over 4-6 days per year.

I'm not convinced that what you're saying is entirely fair. VOOM wasn't viable as a programming suite. I believe that it wasn't so much that DISH "lost" VOOM as Rainbow failed to keep it going.

Like Smithsonian, if the provider fails to provide significant new content, what's the point of keeping a channel around? 100-150 hours of new content per year? Really??? That works out to just over 4-6 days per year.

One word: MonstersHD Enough said!

Well I hate to break it to you but Voom was on Cablevision for a year after E* dropped the package. Voom did not stop service. Dish Network stopped showing it.

Thanks I forgot about Smithsonian, Add that to E* list of Dropped Networks.

Last I checked many providers have Smithsonian in their line up.
Whats Playing on Epix 1 and 2 this week?

Well I hate to break it to you but Voom was on Cablevision for a year after E* dropped the package. Voom did not stop service. Dish Network stopped showing it.
IIRC, VOOM whacked several channels after parting ways with DISH Network and as of today only three or four survive on their own in syndication. Monsters HD is not one of them.

bela_blasko2006 said:
If Disney wants to get the dispute ended one way or another why don't they quit "Mickey Mousing" around and go ahead and pull Espn and Espn 2 HD from Dish's lineup. That way they will lose $15 million subscribers (homes and business's). One side would cave in quick! lol
From the lawsuit, Dish Network has a contract from ESPN to carry ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD. However, also from the lawsuit, Dish Network has no contract for ESPNews HD, ABC Family HD, Disney XD HD and Disney Channel HD, even though they've been carrying them for 25 months.

IIRC, VOOM whacked several channels after parting ways with DISH Network and as of today only three or four survive on their own in syndication. Monsters HD is not one of them.
What do you expect, VOOM was Exclusive to Dish Network, Not like Voom could fall back on D*.

Where do you think E* got Rainbow 1 from?

With the high prices and angry customers, Dish should negotiate a deal before more subscribers fled away to Direct or cable.

Read post #14 in this thread. Dish is adding more subs than DirecTV.

The anger here does not seem to reflect the average customer.

The only thing I can say is Voom had a much bigger impact then I thought it would when those channels got dropped, That was 1 Year of Losses after that HD channel drop. This was back when HD was barely known
That took about 3 months to start to reflect with Subscriber addtions of only 35,000 that quarter, Then it went way down hill.

So as far as Subscriber addtion numbers , I'm waiting untill 4th quarter to see the impact of the Price increases and channel disputes.

January 1 st this Year I had 3 Dish Network accounts.

July 20 I have Zero.

So that 3 accounts lost.:)

Read post #14 in this thread. Dish is adding more subs than DirecTV.

The anger here does not seem to reflect the average customer.

A response from that same thread you quoted -

That doesn't show churn of long time unhappy customers leaving. Dish always is happy to subsidize the new customers coming in, to keep those numbers looking good. We all know that.

And those numbers are BEFORE the major receiver price increases hit.

Net increases are net increases. Certainly churn hurts, but more customers "eases the pain."

Don't the majority of customers NOT have DVRs? And it's a safe bet most DVR users only have one or two, so it's a rather small percentage of customers with several DVRs. And for the most part, these must be the more financially better off folks, who aren't likely to object as much.

Just because there's a lot of screaming here, doesn't mean there's a lot of screaming throughout the customer base.

Yet I will be also quite interested in 3rd quarter, and to a lesser extent, 4th quarter, results.

Net increases are net increases. Certainly churn hurts, but more customers "eases the pain."

Don't the majority of customers NOT have DVRs? And it's a safe bet most DVR users only have one or two, so it's a rather small percentage of customers with several DVRs. And for the most part, these must be the more financially better off folks, who aren't likely to object as much.

Just because there's a lot of screaming here, doesn't mean there's a lot of screaming throughout the customer base.

Yet I will be also quite interested in 3rd quarter, and to a lesser extent, 4th quarter, results.

I guess some of us just have a different point of view.

Yes, Dish may be netting new subscribers, but at the same time, they are pissing off loyal, long-time subscribers. Now, in the long run Dish (and many of you here) may not care, but it sure seems to be the wrong model to base your business on.

I am also positive that not too many of these new subscribers are saying to themselves, "Gee, $17 isn't too much for extra receivers." They are getting the cheaper receivers as secondaries.

The problem that we longtime subscribers have, is that we DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION of switching/swapping to the cheaper receivers without PAYING A BIG FEE and a NEW 2 YEAR CONTRACT. If Dish would oblige us, and swap out our more expensive receivers that we have easily paid for multiple times over with different, less expensive equipment, I don't think you would have the outrage you see right now.

Last edited:
The problem that we longtime subscribers have, is that we DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION of switching/swapping to the cheaper receivers without PAYING A BIG FEE and a NEW 2 YEAR CONTRACT. I.
I've never Had to pay more then $49 to Upgrade equipment. That I will say in E* defense.

Dish Has no issue swaping a 622 for a 612, But I still would have had to sign a commitment , which I refused.

I've Had , a 211,211k,622,2-612,722, and paid a total of $75 for all of this in lease fee's.

You want to talk about Big Lease fees and Commitment, then don't look into D* .:)

I've never Had to pay more then $49 to Upgrade equipment. That I will say in E* defense.

Dish Has no issue swaping a 622 for a 612, But I still would have had to sign a commitment , which I refused.

I've Had , a 211,211k,622,2-612,722, and paid a total of $75 for all of this in lease fee's.

You want to talk about Big Lease fees and Commitment, then don't look into D* .:)

I recently tried to swap a 622 for a 612. They want $199 AND a new 2 year contract. Dish'n It Up days are gone....

Did you just copy and paste your previous post (110) from 20 minutes earlier?

No, actually. I think the site has burped a couple of times today, and when I went back later and hit refresh it duplicated my post. Corrected. I'll have to check other threads and posts for dupes.

I recently tried to swap a 622 for a 612. They want $199 AND a new 2 year contract. Dish'n It Up days are gone....
Thats INSANE! you can Buy a 612 for Less then $200

One of my good friends Just bought one off Ebay for $197 Including shipping.

Trust me You don't want one anyone. I'd rather keep paying the $7 extra then go with a 612 ever again.

I got a 722 for free for my 622 as I was having the 1000.4 dish being put in and the Disb company installer saw problems in my 622 that has been there since dish sent it to me as a replacement on my original 622 (It would take over 10 minutes to turn on following a power or satellite loss. I had to pay for the dish install, however.

My history....first 622 for $49.00. 8 months later, ordered another $49.00 622 but got a 722 (service call). Original 622 died, replaced with 722 (service call). Free swap of one 722 for a 722K. So, end result, $98.00 for two DVRs, one being a K. That works for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts