It's Official - iPhone on Verizon Wireless

It will be interesting to see how many AT&T customers actually switch to Verizon Wireless, ETF or not.

My couple of questions about this so far:
1) as Scott mentioned, I wonder if Facetime will work via Verizon's 3G network (rather than just wifi)
2) CDMA is limited with no voice and web at the same time; but if you have the need for such, could you skype and web at the same time?

I see them having a hard time to get facetime to work on CDMA. How do you transition the call from regular cell to facetime if you cannot get a data connection up and running before you drop the cell call.

mike123abc said:
I see them having a hard time to get facetime to work on CDMA. How do you transition the call from regular cell to facetime if you cannot get a data connection up and running before you drop the cell call.

Why do you have to transition the call? I am not even sure you can go from call to FaceTime on at&t. I will have to test that out tonight.

I must have misunderstood how it works, I thought on the GSM version all of the data (for facetime) was sent over wifi relying on your ISP's bandwidth rather than the cell phone's bandwidth. Does facetime rely on the AT&T's voice service to handle the voice and wifi for the video? Otherwise, I don't see how CDMA's lack of multi-tasking (voice and data services concurrently) would affect its ability to perform a facetime call...

I don't know what the fuss is all about. We are talking about a phone which is almost a year old worldwide. On other carriers it will be replaced by a new model as Apple does annually. Can't talk and surf at the same time. According to Iphone Atlas, a Verizon person said they will fix that soon, what a load of B.S., this is impossible on C.D.M.A.
I checked out Verizons FAQ on their site and you can international roam with this phone, however only in country's that use C.D.M.A. This is why I will stay with AT&T, I travel back home often to the UK, so having a phone with a sim card is a must.
Besides I am not having any probs with AT&T here in the Nashville area or when I travel.
I also advise anyone wanting to get this phone on Verizon to wait it out a few months. Firstly a new model may come out and secondly you will know if their network is capable of meeting the Iphones data demand.
At&t, give us the Hot Spot, NOW.
Jailbreak and you can have it

The good news is obviously the antenna fix (despite St. Jobs claim there is nothing that needs fixing).
The biggest design obstacle to moving to iPhone 5 has been left behind...

Diogen.

There are still a lot of things that can be added to the iPhone:

• 4g
  • A combo CDMA/GSM device
  • FM tuner
  • 3D display
  • RFID
  • Slide-out keyboard the thickness of a credit card

Why do you have to transition the call? I am not even sure you can go from call to FaceTime on at&t. I will have to test that out tonight.

Just tested this out and it is pretty cool. You can be on a phone call and transition the call over to FaceTime. Once you want to end the FaceTime session it will transfer you back to your cell call. I guess the CDMA version of FaceTime would have to be FaceTime only with no call transitions.

Just got off the phone with Verizon. I guess they need to clarify existing customer pre-orders on/or around 2/3. I'm an existing VZ customer. But I have to wait until the 10th to order, since
I plan to add a new line to my family plan. Only customers upgrading existing phones can pre-order a week earlier. What a bunch of BS!

Just got off the phone with Verizon. I guess they need to clarify existing customer pre-orders on/or around 2/3. I'm an existing VZ customer. But I have to wait until the 10th to order, since
I plan to add a new line to my family plan. Only customers upgrading existing phones can pre-order a week earlier. What a bunch of BS!

Do you have another phone on your account that can be upgraded now? If you do just upgrade that phone and get another one when you activate the new line. After the line activation have Verizon switch the numbers around on the phones.

Do you have another phone on your account that can be upgraded now? If you do just upgrade that phone and get another one when you activate the new line. After the line activation have Verizon switch the numbers around on the phones.
I could do that. They also stated if I had an old phone, which I do, activate it with a new line and upgrade that one to the iphone. I thought about it some more. I've waited 4yrs for an iphone. Another few weeks won't kill me. Will give me more time to find a case for it. Existing iphone 4 cases may not fit the VZ one.

They are expecting "staggering" numbers on this iPhone introduction. I think they're going to get major, but not "staggering" numbers.

They are expecting "staggering" numbers on this iPhone introduction. I think they're going to get major, but not "staggering" numbers.

I had to wait a month for the wife's Droid Incredible, when it was released. I hope it's not that bad. I know what I won't be doing. Waiting in any lines on 2/10. Last time I waited in line for anything was
at the old Boston Garden for J Geils tickets. ( pre Internet of course )

If Apple will make a 4g phone for one provider, why not another? Remember they also make GSM phones for other providers besides ATT.

Also, why not have the phone be 4g ready for when 4g will be available.

From what I have seen AT&T is calling their HSPA+ network 4G. They took the same approach as T-Mobile as calling this 4G. If the HSPA+ network is going to be the first attempt at 4G by AT&T, the iPhone already supports it.

Listening to Leo Leporte this past weekend while he was at CES, he mentioned the fact that 4g is not the "future" technology. He mentioned something about advanced 3g technology that some technicians are working on that is far superior to current 3g and 4g. Basically, expanding and improving the 3rd generation vs the 4th. The guy he was talking to said that they can do much more with with improving 3g than the current 4g, including increasing the frequency band, improving error correction, and increasing data processing rates to far outperform 4g standards

From what I have seen AT&T is calling their HSPA+ network 4G. They took the same approach as T-Mobile as calling this 4G. If the HSPA+ network is going to be the first attempt at 4G by AT&T, the iPhone already supports it.
Several speed tests have shown that T-Mobile's 3g+ network produces faster upload and download speeds than many of the CDMA 4g networks in some areas

Does T-Mobile's HSPA+ network offer "4G speeds". Yes, absolutely. In fact, despite being an upgrade to existing "3G" technology, we found that T-Mobile's HSPA+ network was often slightly faster than Sprint's "4G" network. By some measures, it's much faster.
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=376

DodgerKing said:
Several speed tests have shown that T-Mobile's 3g+ network produces faster upload and download speeds than many of the CDMA 4g networks in some areas

My G2 is faster than my bosses Sprint Epic and MIFi on WiMax.

As for the iPhone my friends wife has wanted one for 4 years on VZW. She will be getting one in April. My friend has decided to get smart phone. He asked me about the Droid X given I had one. But since he is technology challenged and can use an iTouch he is better with an iPhone. It hurts to steer someone from Android but I know he will be better off with iOS UI.

As of now, there is only ONE cdma "4g" network that is really valid. Wimax. LTE should improve on that.
HSPA+ may even be comparable to that, but if so, ATT wouldnt be upgrading to LTE themselves I would think.

I know when I'm using my 3g on my T-mobile phone it's pretty good, the only problem is having a constant 3g signal instead of edge. I think I'm right on the border of the 3G signal.

My area also has T-Mobile's "4G" network but I don't think my phone supports it. :(

Last edited:
cybok0 said:
I know when I'm using my 3g on my T-mobile phone it's pretty good, the only problem is having a constant 3g signal instead of edge. I think I'm right on the border of the 3G signal.

My area also has T-Mobile's "4G" network but I don't think my phone supports it. :(

You would need a G2 or MyTouch 4G to get those "4G" speeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts