It's Official! Say Goodbye To The 1000.4 WA

Jimmerinwi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Midwest
Got some news at our ATM (all team meeting) this morning. Dish has decided to stop using the 1000.4 for Western Arc and is going back to the 1000.2. No reasons were given as to why, but effective 05/26/2011 all Western Arc installs will be once again a 1000.2 dish.
So all of you who have the K.4 WA, cherish your stronger signal because if your neighbor orders one after 5/26, chances are he's going to get a K.2.

Huh? Dish is going backwards now? (Although this wouldn't be the 1st time):D Seriously though, why go back to the 1k2. Is it cheaper to manufacture than the 1k4? And will the 1k2's be in black now? (Just kidding, I don't really care about that one).:D

It would'nt surprise me if they stopped using 1000.4 for Eastern Arc as well because of the premature snow/rain fade issues especially in the Northeast.

Got some news at our ATM (all team meeting) this morning. Dish has decided to stop using the 1000.4 for Western Arc and is going back to the 1000.2. No reasons were given as to why, but effective 05/26/2011 all Western Arc installs will be once again a 1000.2 dish.
So all of you who have the K.4 WA, cherish your stronger signal because if your neighbor orders one after 5/26, chances are he's going to get a K.2.

Huh? Dish is going backwards now? (Although this wouldn't be the 1st time):D Seriously though, why go back to the 1k2. Is it cheaper to manufacture than the 1k4? And will the 1k2's be in black now? (Just kidding, I don't really care about that one).:D
I don't get it either! I thought this would be a nice solution for the western arc, not to mention the signal was so much higher. I have to get one before they disappear! :)

It would'nt surprise me if they stopped using 1000.4 for Eastern Arc as well because of the premature snow/rain fade issues especially in the Northeast.
Same problem here in the Midwest. We had an icy/snowy mix this past winter, I spent 2 days just basically going to customers houses and clearing their EA K.4 dishes off. My best tool of choice for two days was my ice scraper! Elevation of 38 degrees here makes them catch quite a bit of snow and ice, not a very good idea around here.

Same problem here in the Midwest. We had an icy/snowy mix this past winter, I spent 2 days just basically going to customers houses and clearing their EA K.4 dishes off. My best tool of choice for two days was my ice scraper! Elevation of 38 degrees here makes them catch quite a bit of snow and ice, not a very good idea around here.
I had customers that thought I was nuts when I walked in and asked where the tub was so I could fill up my super soaker with warm water.

WHY? After announcing that you will need only one dish for all installs ,except for western lnb for western arc and eastern lnb for eastern arc , would you then change it back to 1000.2 sat dishes? Personally I don't think DISH knows what the Hell they are doing from one week to the next.

WHY? After announcing that you will need only one dish for all installs ,except for western lnb for western arc and eastern lnb for eastern arc , would you then change it back to 1000.2 sat dishes? Personally I don't think DISH knows what the Hell they are doing from one week to the next.
I agree, someone mentioned they probably have a sh*t load of K.2's and need to unload them, which means eventually they will go back to guess what?? Yep the 1000.4 WA. Go figure. :confused:

I think it's like the whole MPEG2 receiver thing. They've got tons of them so they're just gonna keep putting them out there.

Still doesn't make sense. The 1k2 lnb and the 1k4 lnb look practically the same, right? And doesn't each one operate the same way? So shouldn't the cost be the same for each of them?

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

Still doesn't make sense. The 1k2 lnb and the 1k4 lnb look practically the same, right? And doesn't each one operate the same way? So shouldn't the cost be the same for each of them?

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

The 1000.4 WA LNB is quite a bit bigger than the 1000.2 LNB. They had to make the LNB with a larger base so they could get the proper spacing of the 3 "eyes" to catch the signals correctly off the 1000.4 reflector.

Last edited:
The cost of the lnb for western arc on the 1000.4 dish is only $49.99. I saw this price on a couple of online retailers. The cost of the eastern arc lnb for the same dish is the same price: $49.99. I don't see that price would be the factor. What probably happened is that DISH is stuck with a lot of old 1000.2 sat dishes and they want to use them up . Then again the 1000.4 sat dish is not easy to instal for eastern arc , what with the azimuth cam and the elevation rod . Most people can not even get decent signals on all 3 using eastern arc sats, so I can imagine that doing western arc sats with the same dish might be a little worse than using the 1000.2 sat dish.

MikeD-C05 said:
The cost of the lnb for western arc on the 1000.4 dish is only $49.99. I saw this price on a couple of online retailers. The cost of the eastern arc lnb for the same dish is the same price: $49.99. I don't see that price would be the factor. What probably happened is that DISH is stuck with a lot of old 1000.2 sat dishes and they want to use them up . Then again the 1000.4 sat dish is not easy to instal for eastern arc , what with the azimuth cam and the elevation rod . Most people can not even get decent signals on all 3 using eastern arc sats, so I can imagine that doing western arc sats with the same dish might be a little worse than using the 1000.2 sat dish.

I find the .4 WA easier than .2 to set up and get better signals

This is Good old dish pissing on customers and techs now we have to keep 1000.4 WA LNB's in our truck. Nothing i hate more then having to go on a service call just to find out i dont have the gear to fix the job. For customers it will no issue unless the sob tech prior mounted it rong and ripped the roof of the house.

I was over joyed the day dish was saying no more mpeg2 gear on new accounts only hd gear, just to come back and make a 512 and other remand crap that they could not push on the Mexico market.
Now the best dish since the original 1000 and they want to take that away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts