It's SOS for Soul of the South

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
B&C article
Soul of the South, an African-American diginet that has struggled from the start, is strongly considering pulling the plug two years after launch, according to a story in Arkansas Business. Complicating matters is a $2 million lawsuit from WMDE in Washington, stemming from a contract dispute.

The publication obtained a memo from CEO Doug McHenry to his board.

“It’s time for the board to consider winding down the company’s operations,” McHenry wrote. “Currently it doesn’t have sufficient resources to continue to operate and given the legal environment it is unlikely to attract sufficient funding to work out a plan for success. Therefore the board must make a decision to wind down operations and do so in the best manner to preserve shareholder value and company assets.”

Based in Little Rock, the channel needs $250,000-$500,000 to stay afloat for the next 3-4 months.

Soul of the South initially planned to launch in the first quarter of 2012, then shot for fall 2012 before going live in the spring of 2013. TV vets Edward Avent and Larry Morton were in the launch team. McHenry said at the time: "There are many prominent African-Americans who hail from the South and we plan to involve them as integral parts of our programming strategy. This is an important content component of Soul of the South and we are proud to give voice to these talented Americans."

I heard about this last month. When the the local LP channel with 5 sub-channels lit up here in Cinci, people were asking its owner what was coming up. He flatly rejected Soul of the South because they were, according to him, at death's door.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Can't say much in that article shocks me. Don't forget, it was Larry Morton and company who drove Equity Broadcasting into the ground.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
Not that it matters but WMDE is actually in Delaware. they do use WWTD a low power station in DC to repeat their signal (and it even identifies itself as 36-1 WMDE) but it is really justa repeater.

They put it on the air in 2013 in Lafayette Louisiana on channel 50.3 and 32.1 and Delta Media was considering dropping ThisTV for SSN.....Well SSN is gone and ThisTV still stands tall and proud. Hopefully when Heroes and Icons shows up that Delta Media puts in in SSN's old spot on 50.3 SSN was a waste. I was told Bounce was to RACY that they were adding SSN.....Well I catch Bounce on Cable and I love watching the movies....Bounce to me is no way RACY in my book...

Any further news on the fate of Soul of the South? It's still airing here in Nashville on low-power WJDE 31.2. Not that I've ever watched the channel for more than 10 minutes. Although if its demise makes room for something else on the local airwaves, that'd be cool...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)