I've been Voomed ...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Madpup

Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
... so far, that's not such a good thing. My Voom box included a DVI cable but not a component cable. The installer said my existing [omnidirectional] antenna was better than the ones [Stealth and Wineguard] he had. He recommended I get an amplifier. Based on what I've read here, it was my understanding that one might be provided. The installer wanted to charge me $10 to run two lines instead of using a diplexer. He "did me a favor" and didn't charge me for installing two lines.

I think there is a problem with my STB. Setting the STB to 1080i, I get distortion at the top right and along the left side. The guide is blurry. In 720p, I get a major red shift and I can't converge the red. In fact, the red crosshairs in the convergence utility look warped. Which is to say that they are askew and there is no way I can converge the red.

I am guessing the antenna I have up there is a piece of junk. The previous owners installed the antenna so I have no idea just which brand/model it is. I am only getting one local. The others says there is no signal for that channel. Even if I get the channels listed in my PG, I will only have four of my locals.

I am not sure which locals I should expect to get. Zap2It's programming grid would imply I should be getting a boatload of locals, which is part of the reason I migrated to Voom. One of the main reasons I chose Voom was it looked like I would be able to pull in the Detroit ABC affiliate. The Lansing ABC affiliate is still testing HD, apparently.

As it stands I am not getting an ABC HD at all. I have an appointment for a service call but it's about two weeks out. I am fighting the urge to cancel right now. The PQ is not at all what I expected based on what I have read on this forum. I realize that Voom is still fairly new and that they are still working a lot of things out but I really wanted plug and play usability. Right now, cable is looking more and more appealing.

1. the boxes come with both component and DVI , everything packaged. The installer ripped you off. The installer is probably unpacking the stuff before he gets there and selling it. Report him.

2. The installer is probably also lying about the antenna and maybe selling that as well. The best directional antenna IMO is the channel master 4228. But I am not sure whether you need Omni or directional. You need to research that.

3. The installer is supposed to run up to 4 lines @125' each for free. Report him for the 10 dollar thing too.

Madpup said:
I think there is a problem with my STB. Setting the STB to 1080i, I get distortion at the top right and along the left side. The guide is blurry. In 720p, I get a major red shift and I can't converge the red. In fact, the red crosshairs in the convergence utility look warped. Which is to say that they are askew and there is no way I can converge the red.

That sounds like a problem with the TV, not the STB.

I didn't have this problem with cable HD. I'll just have to wait to see if replacing the box fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I will have to see about getting the TV serviced.

Regarding the Channel Master 4228, will Voom be providing that or will I have to buy one from a local/online retailer. The more and more I think about this, the more and more cable looks much more appealing.

vurbano said:
3. The installer is supposed to run up to 4 lines @125' each for free. Report him for the 10 dollar thing too.

The Voom CSR said that the installer was correct when he said he would have to charge me for the cabling if he ran two lines instead of going with the diplexer. Does anyone in this whole chain of customer service know their head from the ... well, you know the rest.

I spoke with someone about the component cable and they are sending me one. Not that I need it since I used one of my own. I guess they aren't writing him up or anything.

I asked about getting a bigger antenna and the CSR said that I am within 20 miles of my locals (untrue). Some of my locals are at about 40 miles. I get WILX (out of Onandaga) because I am practically on top of it. The CSR instructed me to call the subcontractor to arrange a service visit to "peak" the antenna. The CSR also told me the technician will have to aim the antenna properly. Someone please tell me how you point a round atenna one way or another. Isn't that the point of these omnidirectional units?

I don't feel satisfied. I will be getting the issues addressed but it all feels so slapdash at the moment. I'm going to have the tech install the Winegard antenna which is sitting on my porch right now. Maybe with that installed and pointed correctly, I'll be able to get some locals. Maybe.

johnfaas said:
the forums have all the answers do some searches

I've done some searching and some testing. It looks like there isn't a problem with my box. I am going to call a TV repair center tomorrow. I am having the installer back out to install the Winegard which catches all the stations I'm mapped for ... in my living room. Hopefully, this will all be worked out very shortly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)