The most telling sign I've seen so far regarding Voom's fate?

I did the Voom offer last month from Brandsmart and I think this offer was cut short. This deal was a $300 dollar instant rebate on a 40" or larger HDTV with 6 months of Voom service. The offer expired March 1st, 2005. When you buy the set, you have 30 days or until March 15th to activate or you pay $250 dollars. I had the TV for a month now and Voom since the 4th. I love the service but if it goes out then I got $300 off a new TV and maybe even a free STB and OTA.

Sure it's a sign...but what difference does that make?
It's a sign that VOOM no longer owns the bird it's currently transmitting on, and that what's going to change is unknown at this time.

Next thing we'll be reading about here is tea leaves and goat guts.

Lob

Lobstah said:
Sure it's a sign...but what difference does that make?
It's a sign that VOOM no longer owns the bird it's currently transmitting on, and that what's going to change is unknown at this time.

Next thing we'll be reading about here is tea leaves and goat guts.

Lob

No. We already KNOW voom lost its bird. We don't need any signs for that.

This is a sign of what may likely happen BECAUSE they sold their satellite. Basically it's a sign that they may be getting ready to shut down, as is the most logical thing since I have yet to see a valid theory of how to transmit HD via smoke signals.

As for tea leaves and goat guts...thanks for reminding me...time for breakfast!!

"No. We already KNOW voom lost its bird. We don't need any signs for that."

That was exactly my point ;)

Enjoy the goat ;) :)

Mildly off topic...VOOM's fate is sealed. The only way they are going to survive IMO:

1. CableVision systems are placed on the auction block.
2. CableVision reneges on the sale of Rainbow DBS assets. E* sue for damages? What damages? Here's a dollar for a box of tissue.
3. Rainbow Media and Rainbow DBS assets are sold to Charles Dolan and/or other interests.

Else, VOOM will be shutdown, soon, and CableVision/Dolan Sr. will most likely opt to sell remaining Rainbow Media assets, perhaps CableVision, and then retire. We shall see...

I am not sure where to post this, but I just had my Voom satellite dish upgraded to a 24" this afternoon. The installer arrived on time and upgraded my dish. He told me that it has been business as usual, and that he has installs scheduled for up to two weeks out. Voom called me before the installation, and then called me after to survey my satisfaction. I got the standard answers from all parties mentioned.

JMikeF said:
Well, whadaya think the staff of the Titanic were telling the passengers... :rolleyes:

yeah but at least the Titanic wasn't taking more passengers on as it was sinking... What we need here is a Lifeboat!!!

Maybe BrandSmart is backed up as hell on their installs and can;t take any more business. Anyone think of that?

VMI said:
Maybe BrandSmart is backed up as hell on their installs and can;t take any more business. Anyone think of that?

no. Brandsmart doesn't do the installs, so there is nothing for them to get backed up on. They just sell the TVs. And as for voom turning down a bunch of new customers because they are backed up...well...that doesn't make any sense from a company with only 26000 subs and struggling for each and every single new one. That rebate was a HUGE marketing tool for Brandsmart. I don't think they would just drop it like that unless there was a very compelling reason. Selling too many TVs, and getting too many customers for Voom is not one of those reasons.

Also, it's too big of a coincidence that they drop the promotion right after Voom sells the satellite. Something is going on.

Yeah...something IS going on. VOOM's future is uncertain to say the least. Why is this a tough nut to crack? C'mon. If you ran Brandsmart, would YOU be pushing a rebate from a company that you didn't know was going to be around?

Hey...here's ANOTHER sign!...Go to VOOM's website!...look at the offer for the 3 room install...says it expires on 3/1/2005!!! So VOOM must have KNOWN!!!...oh wait...
This is GOOD news!!! That means they'll be in business at LEAST until 3/1!!!

You guys are killin' me.

;)

Lob

P.S Oswald really DID act alone.

brandsmart installs

lostcause said:
no. Brandsmart doesn't do the installs, so there is nothing for them to get backed up on. They just sell the TVs. And as for voom turning down a bunch of new customers because they are backed up...well...that doesn't make any sense from a company with only 26000 subs and struggling for each and every single new one. That rebate was a HUGE marketing tool for Brandsmart. I don't think they would just drop it like that unless there was a very compelling reason. Selling too many TVs, and getting too many customers for Voom is not one of those reasons.

Also, it's too big of a coincidence that they drop the promotion right after Voom sells the satellite. Something is going on.

Brandsmart may not do the installs but, they are responsible for setting the installs up, they are also responsible for rolling trucks for service calls, Voom does not set up the install nor do they send techs out on service calls if account is a retail account, all they do is trouble shoot problems. This is why there is a retail support team. It's possible that Brandsmart found that there is a whole lot more involved in being part of a satellite co. than they can handle. Also, the March deadline for signing up on contract has been in effect since Nov., when the specials first started, it may have nothing to do with going out of business. Please don't ask the csr's what is going on, they are only giving you a canned response, given them by upper management, believe me, they are going to be the last ones to know what is going on. Business as usual.

spahoose said:
Brandsmart may not do the installs but, they are responsible for setting the installs up, they are also responsible for rolling trucks for service calls, Voom does not set up the install nor do they send techs out on service calls if account is a retail account, all they do is trouble shoot problems. This is why there is a retail support team. It's possible that Brandsmart found that there is a whole lot more involved in being part of a satellite co. than they can handle. Also, the March deadline for signing up on contract has been in effect since Nov., when the specials first started, it may have nothing to do with going out of business. Please don't ask the csr's what is going on, they are only giving you a canned response, given them by upper management, believe me, they are going to be the last ones to know what is going on. Business as usual.

spahoose, I don't know who you are or where you get your info from, but what you're saying makes absolutely no sense. First of all, brandsmart knows EXACTLY what is involved with satellite promos. Before they had the voom promo they had an almost identical deal with directv for at least a year if I recall correctly. Brandsmart is not a mom and pop store. They are a HUGE electronics retailer with several stores in FLA and Georgia. They have won (I believe it's the CES award) for best electronics retailer several times. They outsell every single other electronics retailer here.
see here for source info: http://www.brandsmartusa.com/who_we_are.htm

Not only that, unless something changed dramatically, they do NOT do the installs, nor do they schedule them or provide support for voom. They simply sign up the customers. I signed up for directv through them. They were not involved at all beyond signing me up.

As for the March deadline, I can't believe I'm the only one that finds it very odd that given a March deadline, and considering how huge of a marketing tool this was for brandsmart, and considering the timing (right before the superbowl when HDTV sales are the most competitive), they would end the promo over two months early, AND coincidentally enough, immediately after voom sells the satellite.

I suppose you might work for brandsmart, but the fact that you think brandsmart didn't know what would be involved with a satellite promo tells me you don't know much about them, so I'm guessing the rest of your info is also speculation. By no means am I saying I have any kind of inside track on brandsmart, but I've been a customer of theirs for years and have seen several similar promos from them. What you're saying just doesn't make any sense.

Ex-Brandsmart employee

Hello just joined 1/27/2005. I worked for Brandsmart for 10 years. This thread caught my eye as I have been reading all the post for Voom as of late due to my new career, installs. To end some of the speculation and provide some facts let's start out with the install division.

Brandsmart does do the installs. They have a in house company called Florida Custom Sales that provides the installation. They do there own service calls if applicable, but I have been on few that Brandsmart installed and Installs Inc serviced the customer afterwards. Bottom Line FCS is owned an operated by Brandsmart from Hollywood, FL.

Rebates:
Brandsmart is the best in the business when it comes to value, rebates are just a way to get the advertising. The $300 rebate they offered was incoporated from Voom paying them the $300 kickback. Brandsmart will try anything as long as it works. Voom has had it's ups and downs inside the stores. Some months strong, some stunk, new company (voom)what can you expect? The $1 install helped considerably with sales but I don't think it helped with the direction Brandsmart wanted. Brandsmart wants, like any other company quick results or they they have to cut their losses. What I have seen in the past is if it's not profitable get out, Rainbow selling to Echostar would make any multi million dollar company think twice. The buyers and Executives at Brandsmart know what they are doing, they are the best in the business. This, though, does not signify doom for voom, just might not be working with Brandsmart. They don't carry direcTv, you don't see them going out any time soon.

Stores: They only have 5 stores in Florida, South Dade to West palm Beach. One in Atlanta with hopes of opening more soon. Although they make enough with these 6 stores, any losing venture right now is not in the cards as of yet.

On the flip side, I have seen them do this several times. although the rebate is gone, It doesn't mean voom is gone 9from them or from us). At least I hope not, means more work for me:)

This was posted by Threv
here "Last night In Miami (During West Wing- Thats an Expensive spot) they were playing the BrandsMart Rebate Ads
Buy an HDTV with VOOM and get a 300.00 Dollar Rebate."

So do we know for sure that the Brandsmart Promo is in fact over???

truqui said:
This was posted by Threv
here "Last night In Miami (During West Wing- Thats an Expensive spot) they were playing the BrandsMart Rebate Ads
Buy an HDTV with VOOM and get a 300.00 Dollar Rebate."

So do we know for sure that the Brandsmart Promo is in fact over???

No its not Over, I went there During My Lunch Hour and the sales guy siad the Promo still holds. But he didn't know anything about the sale (of the Sat) or anything like that. too bad I don't have a spare $1100.00 lying around.

hrmmm....I wonder why they have taken it off their sales flyer then....

gotta wonder if something else is going on, since from the looks of it, this is a pretty big advertising tool for brandsmart. Why would they take it off their flyer I wonder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)