I've tried a couple of different antennas and I'm having a hard time getting a reliable signal

Eduardito

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
San Juan, Puerto Rico
This is my TV fool:

radarall.png

I got an outdoor powered one and one of the flat powered ones for indoor use. The odd thing is that on the indoor one I get some channels that I don't get on the out door one. I would just like to get the most possible. The most problematic channel by far is 13. The rest I get more or less well but they drop in and out. Any suggestions on a new antenna for this type of situation? Maybe a couple of bays or something like that?

Thanks for providing the TV Fool Report. Using a powered antenna outdoor at under 25 miles often causes you to lose channels from "overdriving" your tuner. So getting more on an indoor, than the outdoor makes sense in this scenario. Indoor antennas are problematic, and take a lot of adjustment to get it right, so i understand why you may be loosing channels there.

My best recommendation for you is a traditional style, non-amplified, outdoor antenna. Preferably one like the HD1080 from Winegard , in appears like a 2-bay bowtie, but there's some extra elements for high band VHF that will work nicely. Other 2 Bay bow-ties may not work, since they are generally UHF and you seem to be in a VHF/UHF market.

Aim the X on the antenna towards the stations and you should be good to go.

Winegard HD-1080 2-Bay Bowtie UHF and High Band VHF TV Antenna (HD-1080) are good choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different antennas receive different frequencies differently. This is due to their design. Some are designed to receive different types of frequencies that the channels run on. Some antennas are more directional than others. You can actually design an antenna for the particular frequency that you are looking for. You need to do a google search on how to build an antenna for the particular channel/frequency.

This is my TV fool:

View attachment 77749

I got an outdoor powered one and one of the flat powered ones for indoor use. The odd thing is that on the indoor one I get some channels that I don't get on the out door one. I would just like to get the most possible. The most problematic channel by far is 13. The rest I get more or less well but they drop in and out. Any suggestions on a new antenna for this type of situation? Maybe a couple of bays or something like that?
I would agree with Solid Signal that the amplified antenna is probably causing your reception problems. I have 2 HD-1080 antennas at about 60 miles from the broadcast towers and they work well, I also have a Channel Master CM-2016 that works well at the same range for a $30-40 range they are both good antennas.

I remember last year you had a similar topic on this and you were using one of those $30 Chinese antennas. They are pretty bad on VHF so I can understand your issue with channel 13. The one SolidSignal recommended is probably one of the few that would work in your situation with stations so far apart. A 4-bay antenna with VHF-HI capability would probably be better but you would need a rotor to get all of the stations. You could build your own 2-bay extended for VHF-HI to see how well it would work for before buying anything. The M4 is a popular DIY antenna and the plans are available for free online. Here is a link to the 2-bay version of that antenna. The free plans are also there if you look around.

2 Bay Kit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts