Iverson rumored trade to the Pistons!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
The shakeup promised by Detroit Pistons president Joe Dumars after last season's Eastern Conference finals has materialized just two games into the new season.

The Pistons have reached an agreement in principle with the Denver Nuggets to acquire guard Allen Iverson in exchange for Detroit mainstays Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess, club sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Young center Cheikh Samb, selected by the Los Angeles Lakers for the Pistons with the 51st overall pick in the 2006 draft, will also be going to Denver in the deal, reports ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3679931"]Denver Nuggets trade Allen Iverson to Detroit Pistons - ESPN[/ame]

The shakeup promised by Detroit Pistons president Joe Dumars after last season's Eastern Conference finals has materialized just two games into the new season.

The Pistons have reached an agreement in principle with the Denver Nuggets to acquire guard Allen Iverson in exchange for Detroit mainstays Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess, club sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Young center Cheikh Samb, selected by the Los Angeles Lakers for the Pistons with the 51st overall pick in the 2006 draft, will also be going to Denver in the deal, reports ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

ESPN - Denver Nuggets trade Allen Iverson to Detroit Pistons

This is being discussed in the NBA Thread.

Billups is from and probably lives in the Denver area. McDyess played in Denver for a period of time. Good trade for the Nuggets.:D

I think both teams come out winning.

It could be a short-term shot in the arm for the Pistons, but ultimately in the playoffs you want Chauncey Billups running your point, not Allen Iverson. Personally I think Billups is a much better player than Iverson, and guaranteed to practice too.

If Dumars wanted to shake up his team he should have found a destination for Rasheed Wallace, not Chauncey Billups.

Sandra

It could be a short-term shot in the arm for the Pistons, but ultimately in the playoffs you want Chauncey Billups running your point, not Allen Iverson. Personally I think Billups is a much better player than Iverson, and guaranteed to practice too.

If Dumars wanted to shake up his team he should have found a destination for Rasheed Wallace, not Chauncey Billups.

Sandra

Well....Chauncey AS A PG, I agree...he is better than IA. As a ALL AROUND PLAYER, sorry, but Chauncey does not measure up. He was looking for 2 things, quick points and salary caps space....and he got both from the ONLY player that plays a position in heavy demand, PG, and the player with the most trade value.

Wallace will not be back next year.

Well....Chauncey AS A PG, I agree...he is better than IA. As a ALL AROUND PLAYER, sorry, but Chauncey does not measure up. He was looking for 2 things, quick points and salary caps space....and he got both from the ONLY player that plays a position in heavy demand, PG, and the player with the most trade value.

Wallace will not be back next year.

Huh, how is AI a better "all around player" than Chauncey? Chauncy's a better defender, ball handler and free throw shooter.

AI scores more. That's about it. The reason for this is that he takes WAY more shots than Billups.

Last year, Iverson took 1,556 shots in 82 games for an average of 19 shots a game.

In that same year, Billups took only 877 shots in 78 games for an average of 11 shots a game. If Billups took more shots, this point gap would be closer.

Well, in defense of Dumars...the Piston's have been stuck in the almost, but not quite good enough 2nd - 4th best team the past few seasons. He's probably doesn't want to lose in another Eastern Conference finals. Perhaps this "shake-up" will motivate both Iverson and current regulars to push to the next level. Personally, I think Iverson is going to infect the team like a bad case of the flu. Yep, he's a great play...but he is certainly not a great team player.

Of course, this move could prove Joe Dumars to be a genius. What the heck do I know!:eek:

Huh, how is AI a better "all around player" than Chauncey? Chauncy's a better defender, ball handler and free throw shooter.

AI scores more. That's about it. The reason for this is that he takes WAY more shots than Billups.

Last year, Iverson took 1,556 shots in 82 games for an average of 19 shots a game.

In that same year, Billups took only 877 shots in 78 games for an average of 11 shots a game. If Billups took more shots, this point gap would be closer.

Iverson and Billups Averages:

Iverson 27.7 6.3 assists 3.7 TO 2.3 STLS 43.7 FG
Billups 14.8 5.5 assists 2.0 TO 2.0 STLS 41.7 FG

Response to Riff - I couldn't say it any better. A guard that isn't afraid to take it to the hole is never a bad thing. I guess will just wait and see. If it doesn't work out, we still have $36M in cap space to fix it next season. Things needed a shake-up for us to make the next step, and to remain a contender for the next 5 seasons.

Personally, I think Iverson is going to infect the team like a bad case of the flu. Yep, he's a great play...but he is certainly not a great team player.

Of course, this move could prove Joe Dumars to be a genius. What the heck do I know!:eek:

I don't remember too many issues in Denver....nor did I hear of him "infecting" the Nuggests from any news reports.

If he gets traded to Detroit...well that just makes Detroit a powerhouse.

They already have excellent shooters, but with Iversion they are going to be amazing.
Detroit is a very good contender this year again to make it to the end.

Also its going to suck for Detroit losing one of their best shooters Antonio McDyess.
Oh well.
A fair trade I suppose.

More info here:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_SktFo5EM1KFuciM1_q_yFKyhqQD948CT589

If he gets traded to Detroit...well that just makes Detroit a powerhouse.

They already have excellent shooters, but with Iversion they are going to be amazing.
Detroit is a very good contender this year again to make it to the end.

Also its going to suck for Detroit losing one of their best shooters Antonio McDyess.
Oh well.
A fair trade I suppose.

More info here:
The Associated Press: Billups not likely to make Nuggets' Wednesday game

Powerhouse? Anyone remember the discussions we had over at dbsforums when Iverson was traded to the Nuggets and everyone was saying how he would make the Nuggets a powerhouse, how he and Carmelo would be unstoppable? Well, they were stopped, and the Pistons will be stopped with Iverson at the point as well.

If I remember correctly, there was one person at that site who argued against that trade for the Nuggets...and that person was the only one in the discussion who doesn't have a Y chromosome.

Iverson will not make the Pistons better either. Write that down. In ink.

Since the Pistons had been together so long Iverson may provide a short term shot in the arm. But trust me, come playoff time people will be longing for Chauncey Billups and his steady control of the game, his clutch scoring, and his free throw shooting when you have a lead.

Don't get seduced by Iverson's numbers, as they don't tell the story of his worth to a team. This isn't a board game or a video game...it's real life, and in real life Allen Iverson does not make his teammates, or his team, any better than Chauncey Billups does. Probably worse, actually.

Sandra

Powerhouse? Anyone remember the discussions we had over at dbsforums when Iverson was traded to the Nuggets and everyone was saying how he would make the Nuggets a powerhouse, how he and Carmelo would be unstoppable? Well, they were stopped, and the Pistons will be stopped with Iverson at the point as well.

If I remember correctly, there was one person at that site who argued against that trade for the Nuggets...and that person was the only one in the discussion who doesn't have a Y chromosome.

Since the Pistons had been together so long Iverson may provide a short term shot in the arm. But trust me, come playoff time people will be longing for Chauncey Billups and his steady control of the game, his clutch scoring, and his free throw shooting when you have a lead.

Don't get seduced by Iverson's numbers, as they don't tell the story of his worth to a team. This isn't a board game or a video game...it's real life, and in real life Allen Iverson does not make his teammates, or his team, any better than Chauncey Billups does. Probably worse, actually.

Sandra

Thank you Sandra. :up

Sandra

We shall see....

Personally, I think both came out winning.

We shall see....

Personally, I think both came out winning.

Everyone thought the Nuggets came out winning when they acquired Iverson too...but he brought them no further than Ander Miller did before he left. Chauncey Billups is a lot better than Andre Miller...and Allen Iverson.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts