Iverson rumored trade to the Pistons!

Everyone thought the Nuggets came out winning when they acquired Iverson too...but he brought them no further than Ander Miller did before he left. Chauncey Billups is a lot better than Andre Miller...and Allen Iverson.

Sandra

Again, we shall see. I will not start criticizing before he starts playing. There quite a few people 'in the know' that agree it is a good move for both teams.

The Detroit Pistons' attempt to move Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson could be a huge trade for another reason. Iverson's got a big contract that ends this year.

ESPN's True Hoop author Henry Abbott speculates that Joe Dumars made the move to free up a ton of cap space in order to become a player in the monstrous free agent class of 2010. Abbott goes as far as to say that the Pistons could make a play for both LeBron James and Chris Bosh

ESPN's Abbott: Billups trade makes Pistons players in 'Summer of LeBron' - Detroit Pistons Full-Court Press - MLive.com

Not good for you HD.

He's not going to Detroit. I can understand the appeal of a major market such as New York, but Detroit over Cleveland? Come on. What's the point?

Plus, due to the Larry Bird clause, Cleveland can actually offer him more money than any other team out there. And btw, Cleveland will have plenty of money coming off the books for the 2010 season. If LBJ wants a high profile FA, Cleveland will have enough money to go after that player and sign LBJ.

He's not going to Detroit. I can understand the appeal of a major market such as New York, but Detroit over Cleveland? Come on. What's the point?

Plus, due to the Larry Bird clause, Cleveland can actually offer him more money than any other team out there. And btw, Cleveland will have plenty of money coming off the books for the 2010 season. If LBJ wants a high profile FA, Cleveland will have enough money to go after that player and sign LBJ.

Yeah but WHO would wanna move to Cleveland?!:p;) I guess if a free agent like Drew Gooden actually wanted to move to Utah...ANYTHING is a possibility...;)

Again, we shall see. I will not start criticizing before he starts playing. There quite a few people 'in the know' that agree it is a good move for both teams.

HA! :D

This is perhaps my favorite line of the year. Why do we speculate on things when the 'in the know' people are the ones who know?

Detroit sportswriters, Stephen A Smith, whoever you're talking about, I submit that you will find just as much knowledge and sports acumen here (or on a lot of other fan sites), as you will from them. Those 'in the know' people are wrong...a lot!

Ask a Nugget fan what you can expect from Iverson. A person who watched him play every game is very much 'in the know'.

Sorry sweetie, don't mean to pick on you, but that line just tickled me for some reason...like there is a wizard behind the curtains that knows things us ordinary mortals don't.

As you say, we shall see, which of course applies to every sports transaction there is...but you may be surprised after all is said and done who actually winds up being 'in the know'.

Not me, of course. ;)

Sandra

HA! :D

This is perhaps my favorite line of the year. Why do we speculate on things when the 'in the know' people are the ones who know?

Detroit sportswriters, Stephen A Smith, whoever you're talking about, I submit that you will find just as much knowledge and sports acumen here (or on a lot of other fan sites), as you will from them. Those 'in the know' people are wrong...a lot!

Ask a Nugget fan what you can expect from Iverson. A person who watched him play every game is very much 'in the know'.

Sorry sweetie, don't mean to pick on you, but that line just tickled me for some reason...like there is a wizard behind the curtains that knows things us ordinary mortals don't.

As you say, we shall see, which of course applies to every sports transaction there is...but you may be surprised after all is said and done who actually winds up being 'in the know'.

Not me, of course. ;)

Sandra

THAT'S You....But I watched him play every game as a '6ers fan so I know just a little bit more of what to expect Iverson to do and be. I as far as needing a player to have cojones to take the shot when need be....you will find very few like him. He can take over a game that NO ONE on that Pistons team can. AND he frees up alot of space in the salary cap.....something you seem to be forgetting or ignoring.

See my comments in the NBA thread for a reason why.

THAT'S You....But I watched him play every game as a '6ers fan so I know just a little bit more of what to expect Iverson to do and be. I as far as needing a player to have cojones to take the shot when need be....you will find very few like him. He can take over a game that NO ONE on that Pistons team can. AND he frees up alot of space in the salary cap.....something you seem to be forgetting or ignoring.

Thank you, Salsa. I'll add that Iverson breaks up the staleness of the Piston's offense. His unpredictableness will surely draw attention and double-teams, something you don't want to do against a team that has 5 scorers on the floor at anytime.

In Denver, it was just Carmelo and Iverson, and defense was an afterthought for the whole team. Comparing the Denver situation with Detroit is absolutely absurd.(Sorry Sandra) This is a contender, not a pretender. And we play defense here, just ask the rest of the NBA.

As I said earlier, if it don't work out, so what? Everybody was ready to write us off WITH Billups. We'll just reload with all that cap space.

As for Denver, this was a great trade for them too. Billups will bring a pass first PG into their offense, something they really needed more than Iverson's scoring.(which is what the Pistons needed more, we have Stuckey, Prince and Hamilton, all very good passers). We will miss McDyess, but I suspect he may be back next month.

I'm not forgetting OR ignoring that. That wasn't part of our discussion. If you traded for Iverson to free up cap space, that's awesome.

We were discussing Iverson's and Billups's contributions on the court, though.

I suppose I'm just not understanding the lack of love for Chauncey Billups, who was always one of my favorite players. I seem to remember him taking (and hitting) a lot of big shots when needed.

Yes, Allen Iverson can take over a game, but be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. It remains to be seen how much Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, and Rip Hamilton will appreciate Iverson taking over games.

Again, I think it will be a short term infusion of energy, but I REALLY think come playoff time you'll be missing Chauncey Billups...a LOT. Games will no longer be over when the Pistons have a lead in the last minute because Chauncey hits every free throw...get ready for more last minute excitement!

Sandra

In Denver, it was just Carmelo and Iverson, and defense was an afterthought for the whole team. Comparing the Denver situation with Detroit is absolutely absurd.(Sorry Sandra) This is a contender, not a pretender. And we play defense here, just ask the rest of the NBA.

OK well listen, good luck contending with Iverson. If nothing else, it certainly won't be dull!

I have a feeling one of us will be referring back to this thread in May.
;)

Sandra

Again, I think it will be a short term infusion of energy, but I REALLY think come playoff time you'll be missing Chauncey Billups...a LOT. Games will no longer be over when the Pistons have a lead in the last minute because Chauncey hits every free throw...get ready for more last minute excitement!

Sandra

And once again, Sandra's got B-I-N-G-O!!!! :up

Reply to Sandra (I really ned to include the quotes, by time I'm done typing 2-3 other posts are in!)

I'm sure you are right about that.

Something had to change here in Detroit - 6 straight trips to the conference finals, and only two trips to the championship, resulting in only one championship. This core has been together longer than most, especially in this day and age of the NBA, and I think we needed a different game plan. we changed coaches, and now we needed a different look on offense, something Iverson will bring. If they can get him to adjust his game the way Isaiah Thomas did in the late 80's, this could work. If not, "see ya later pal", to Iverson. We had nothing to lose.

I'm not forgetting OR ignoring that. That wasn't part of our discussion. If you traded for Iverson to free up cap space, that's awesome.

We were discussing Iverson's and Billups's contributions on the court, though.

I suppose I'm just not understanding the lack of love for Chauncey Billups, who was always one of my favorite players. I seem to remember him taking (and hitting) a lot of big shots when needed.

Yes, Allen Iverson can take over a game, but be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. It remains to be seen how much Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, and Rip Hamilton will appreciate Iverson taking over games.

Sandra

I don't think they will miss him as much as people think because you have players AND leaders on that team. The same was said when Ben Wallace left....he was 'the cornerstone of the defense'.....yeah, right. Made the Bulls instant contenders didn't it?:rolleyes: Look, the foundation is still in place of the type of team the Pistons are....hard nosed defense....and neither Allen Iverson coming or Chaunsey Billups leaving will change that.

I don't remember too many issues in Denver....nor did I hear of him "infecting" the Nuggests from any news reports.
I am refering to his style of play. Billups could easily take more shot and score more points, but he is outstanding team player (involved the entire team on offense), better on defense, and one of the best clutch (free throws) players in the league. Even up, I would take Billups over Iverson.

I am refering to his style of play. Billups could easily take more shot and score more points, but he is outstanding team player (involved the entire team on offense), better on defense, and one of the best clutch (free throws) players in the league. Even up, I would take Billups over Iverson.

As a team player....you could not get a better player than Chauncey. All around talent....Billups does not measure up.

As a team player....you could not get a better player than Chauncey. All around talent....Billups does not measure up.

Iverson gets the edge in all around talent to be sure. As far as being a team player, Iverson is not even in the same stratosphere as Billups. And this is a team game.

If you want great individual statistics, Iverson is your man. If you want to win games, however, there is no comparison.

In the last six years Allen Iverson has played in seven playoff series, and his team's record is 1-6. In the last six years Chauncey Billups has played in 20 playoff series, and his team's record is 15-5, including one NBA championship. They went up against each other twice in the playoffs, and Billups's team won both times.

Perhaps Billups played on some better teams, although the Pistons were never known to be great...just very good. And part of that was because they had Chauncey Billups. It's not like Billups played with Michael Jordan or anything.

And don't forget, Chauncey Billups is a year younger than Allen Iverson.

I have been ignoring the expiring contracts in this comparison. If you want to revert back to that, fine...just say that's why the Pistons made the deal and stop trying to compare Iverson to Billups.

If you want to compare the two on the court, however, Iverson fails severely in comparison.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)