Iverson rumored trade to the Pistons!

Why don't we let this guy play a half of a season before we declare this a "bad trade".

Well we're just giving our opinion of the trade as we see it right now. Anyone can look back after a period of time and decide if the trade helped a team, and of course we'll all do that. Just giving you my prediction, which could be wrong of course.

But I really love NFL announcers who see a team going for it on fourth and one, then the team doesn't make it and they tell us it was a bad decision...when they said nothing about the decision before the play was run.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

Sandra

Well we're just giving our opinion of the trade as we see it right now. Anyone can look back after a period of time and decide if the trade helped a team, and of course we'll all do that. Just giving you my prediction, which could be wrong of course.

But I really love NFL announcers who see a team going for it on fourth and one, then the team doesn't make it and they tell us it was a bad decision...when they said nothing about the decision before the play was run.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

Sandra

I understand what you're saying. By the way, I'm hoping you're wrong. Between MICHIGAN, the Lions, and the Tigers, I've had my fill.:(

Iverson gets the edge in all around talent to be sure. As far as being a team player, Iverson is not even in the same stratosphere as Billups. And this is a team game.

If you want great individual statistics, Iverson is your man. If you want to win games, however, there is no comparison.
In the last six years Allen Iverson has played in seven playoff series, and his team's record is 1-6. In the last six years Chauncey Billups has played in 20 playoff series, and his team's record is 15-5, including one NBA championship. They went up against each other twice in the playoffs, and Billups's team won both times.

Perhaps Billups played on some better teams, although the Pistons were never known to be great...just very good. And part of that was because they had Chauncey Billups. It's not like Billups played with Michael Jordan or anything.

And don't forget, Chauncey Billups is a year younger than Allen Iverson.

I have been ignoring the expiring contracts in this comparison. If you want to revert back to that, fine...just say that's why the Pistons made the deal and stop trying to compare Iverson to Billups.

If you want to compare the two on the court, however, Iverson fails severely in comparison.

Sandra

Says who? Iverson has only been on ONE TEAM that was as close to loaded as this Pistons team and guess what? Not ONLY did he get to the NBA Finals, he was league MVP.....so that argument is mute. This will be THE BEST TEAM he has ever been on.....period.

AND, before Billups got to a very good Pistons team...he was not known as a "winner".

Says who? Iverson has only been on ONE TEAM that was as close to loaded as this Pistons team and guess what? Not ONLY did he get to the NBA Finals, he was league MVP.....so that argument is mute. This will be THE BEST TEAM he has ever been on.....period.

AND, before Billups got to a very good Pistons team...he was not known as a "winner".

Iverson won league MVP a long time ago. He's had a lot of failure since then. Look at the numbers. And part of what made this Pistons team loaded was sent back to Denver...

You can make the argument that bringing Billups to the Pistons is what made them a winner, as well as the opposite. IIRC he and Hamilton and Prince all came within a year or two of each other, and the've had consistent finishes ever since...including a championship.

I suppose if this is the best team Iverson has ever been on (period), adding a league MVP should put them over the top and make them instant title favorites...but somehow I don't see that happening.

Looks to me more like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

And if he want to fit in he'll have to work hard at practice, huh?

Wait, uh-oh.

Practice?
Practice?
Practice?
Practice?
Practice?
Practice?

Sandra

Iverson won league MVP a long time ago. He's had a lot of failure since then. Look at the numbers. And part of what made this Pistons team loaded was sent back to Denver...

You can make the argument that bringing Billups to the Pistons is what made them a winner, as well as the opposite. IIRC he and Hamilton and Prince all came within a year or two of each other, and the've had consistent finishes ever since...including a championship.

I suppose if this is the best team Iverson has ever been on (period), adding a league MVP should put them over the top and make them instant title favorites...but somehow I don't see that happening.

Looks to me more like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

And if he want to fit in he'll have to work hard at practice, huh?

Wait, uh-oh.

Practice?
Practice?
Practice?
Practice?
Practice?
Practice?

Sandra

YES he won the MVP a long time ago. But your COMPLETELY missing the point. Billups was a more or less nobody UNTIL he came to the Pistons and THE PISTONS became winners....and he was one of the reasons...not the BECAUSE of him. IF Billups never comes to Detroit...The Pistons SYSTEM would win a championship. Billups has been surround by a GREAT TEAM year in and year out....the same CANNOT be said about Iverson.

As a team player....you could not get a better player than Chauncey. All around talent....Billups does not measure up.
True, but talent alone does not win a team championship. If I were an owner who was desperate to quickly fill a bunch of empty seats, then I would chose Iverson. However, if I had a veteran club on the verge of a championship, I would keep Billups and make tweaks elsewhere. Offhand, I would have just waived/traded McDyess because I feel they are a better club without him.

YES he won the MVP a long time ago. But your COMPLETELY missing the point. Billups was a more or less nobody UNTIL he came to the Pistons and THE PISTONS became winners....and he was one of the reasons...not the BECAUSE of him. IF Billups never comes to Detroit...The Pistons SYSTEM would win a championship. Billups has been surround by a GREAT TEAM year in and year out....the same CANNOT be said about Iverson.

I suppose I'll just totally disagree with you that the Pistons still would have won a championship even without Chauncey Billups. Chauncey was a major part of the championship team, and also the 15-5 playoff series record in the last six years.

Is Allen Iverson now part of that SYSTEM? Because I don't see Iverson being part of any system, actually.

But this is apparently now the perfect opportunity for Mr. Practice. He gets to come to a team with a great system, and come playoff time we'll get a much better idea how much Billups had to do with that 15-5 playoff record. A league MVP should be able to improve on that.

I must say, Pistons games will be more exciting to watch now at the end when they're winning. Chauncey Billups getting fouled and making his free throws over and over and over again was getting a little repetitive.

Sandra

Why don't we let this guy play a half of a season before we declare this a "bad trade".
Paul, there's no fun in that.:rolleyes:

Plus, if Michigan would have listened to certain people about Coach Rodriguez, then perhaps we wouldn't be living through our first losing season in over four decades. Prior to Coach Rod, the last time Michigan has a losing season was 1967 (Before Bo). Instead, it looks like we're going to kiss the Little Brown Jug goodbye this weekend with Captain Rod at the helm of our sinking ship.:(

I'm sorry, but exchanging Iverson for Billups was a bad move.

I must say, Pistons games will be more exciting to watch now at the end when they're winning. Chauncey Billups getting fouled and making his free throws over and over and over again was getting a little repetitive.
Exactly! Just look at how many time we've seen Billups sink 6 or more free throws with under 2-minutes remaining. There are very few people who can consistently give you almost 100% at the line after running up-and-down the floor for two hours.

I'm curious, how many people here thought the Pistons would/could win the championship BEFORE the trade? I don't remember many calling them the team to beat.

True, but talent alone does not win a team championship. If I were an owner who was desperate to quickly fill a bunch of empty seats, then I would chose Iverson. However, if I had a veteran club on the verge of a championship, I would keep Billups and make tweaks elsewhere. Offhand, I would have just waived/traded McDyess because I feel they are a better club without him.

:up:up:up

I'm curious, how many people here thought the Pistons would/could win the championship BEFORE the trade? I don't remember many calling them the team to beat.
Although they were considered attop contender, I don't know of anyone predicting them to even win the Eastern Conference. However, I offer they are much likely to fizzy come playoff time or implode during the season with Iverson in the lineup. Let's look at the Billups' years.:

2007-2008 59 23 .720
2006-2007 53 29 .646
2005-2006 64 18 .780
2004-2005 54 28 .659
2003-2004 54 28 .659
2002-2003 50 32 .610

I'll be anyone a dollar that Iverson doesn't have a win-loss record anywhere near this over the next six season.

Although they were considered attop contender, I don't know of anyone predicting them to even win the Eastern Conference. However, I offer they are much likely to fizzy come playoff time or implode during the season with Iverson in the lineup. Let's look at the Billups' years.:

2007-2008 59 23 .720
2006-2007 53 29 .646
2005-2006 64 18 .780
2004-2005 54 28 .659
2003-2004 54 28 .659
2002-2003 50 32 .610

I'll be anyone a dollar that Iverson doesn't have a win-loss record anywhere near this over the next six season.

Look....NO ONE is not giving Billups his do....BUT it's no different than 'the system' for the New England Patriots. Billups had SH** teams around him UNTIL HE GOT TO THE PISTONS....period...end of story. IF he was THAT GREAT, he would have carried Boston, Toronto, Minnesota and Denver to either going deep into the playoffs or an NBA championship....and he did neither, as I recall. His BEST STATS have come....ready for this? ...WITH THE PISTONS!

2007-2008 59 23 .720
2006-2007 53 29 .646
2005-2006 64 18 .780
2004-2005 54 28 .659
2003-2004 54 28 .659
2002-2003 50 32 .610

First off, he probably won't be a Piston beyond this season, let alone for another 5 seasons. He says he wants to play another 6 years, but his best days are behind him. The thing is that the Pistons next seasons could look very similar to those numbers without Iverson or Billups. Dumars has positioned this club to remain a contender for that long with the cap space he will have the next 2 years. Boston may be the reigning champs, but we still are "The Beasts of the East." The road to the championship still runs through Detroit. I'll miss Chauncey Billups, he has been a great player here in Detroit, but this trade gives us a chance to remain contenders for the next 5 seasons.

First off, he probably won't be a Piston beyond this season, let alone for another 5 seasons. He says he wants to play another 6 years, but his best days are behind him. The thing is that the Pistons next seasons could look very similar to those numbers without Iverson or Billups. Dumars has positioned this club to remain a contender for that long with the cap space he will have the next 2 years. Boston may be the reigning champs, but we still are "The Beasts of the East." The road to the championship still runs through Detroit. I'll miss Chauncey Billups, he has been a great player here in Detroit, but this trade gives us a chance to remain contenders for the next 5 seasons.

Totally agree this is a good trade from a cap space perspective...provided Dumars uses the extra cap space wisely, of course.

It's your buddy with the SCREAMING CAP posts who believes Iverson is the missing piece of the puzzle for THIS YEAR, since this year is most likely the only year he'll be with the Pistons.

But it will be interesting to see where Iverson 'takes' a team that has a 4-0 head start...anything less than a championship will be a shock for SOMEONE.

;)

Sandra

Totally agree this is a good trade from a cap space perspective...provided Dumars uses the extra cap space wisely, of course.

It's your buddy with the SCREAMING CAP posts who believes Iverson is the missing piece of the puzzle for THIS YEAR, since this year is most likely the only year he'll be with the Pistons.

But it will be interesting to see where Iverson 'takes' a team that has a 4-0 head start...anything less than a championship will be a shock for SOMEONE.

;)

Sandra

You MUST be talking about someone else because no where did I EVER say he was a missing piece.... And I would not be shocked if they didn't win it.

...yep....you must be talking about someone else.....

OK, you convinced me. Iverson will bring the Pistons further than Billups did. Not going to be easy, with all the team accomplished with Billups at the point the bar has been set pretty high. But hey, Mr. Practice is a league MVP and everything.

Sunny times ahead....

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)