Japan 8K and even 16K 120 fps news story / Very interesting read

BTW, the user posted comments below the news story are equally worth reading.

Just scroll down after the article.

bjf

Another article from January 2019 talks about the first 8K tv channel NHK Japan.

Japan's NHK Launches World's First 8K TV Channel

They are doing new 8K transfers of 70mm film classics to show on the channel.

2001: A Space Odyssey

My Fair Lady

and more.

Even due up Sumo Wrestling in 8K.
Now that I could probably do without. lol

bjf

Meh. I am not really interested in further resolution increases until they bring back stereoscopic 3D. It needs to be implemented as a video quality improvement standard just like color was. High resolution, high framerate, HDR video with 3D. Now that's what I'm talking about. Right now I have a 4K TV that can do HDR and 3D and I won't be upgrading to an 8K or 16K TV until I am offered an alternative that isn't stuck in flat mode. I have hundreds of 3D movies and video games so having a display that can't play them properly is a deal breaker. Buying a new TV that can't do 3D for me would be like buying a new 4K/8K TV that wasn't able to play HD content. One step forward, one step back.

Japan's 8K channel really does look outstanding though, and it is entirely feasible for that kind of video quality to be delivered via satellite and the Internet.

Not up on my 3D history but in that Japan article they did mentioned 8K glasses free 3D is in the works.

Not sure if that is stereoscopic 3D?

You sound like the one person who was all in on 3D.

I did see a Euro soccer match possibly the WC on a 3D tv at Best Buy a few years back with the required glasses.
Looked like computer animated players running around at times.
Very weird to watch. And every version of 3D tv's a few years back gave me a headache after a while.
Eyes seemed to get very tired.
Maybe next time around they'll get it right.

bjf

We will never see 8K let alone 16K TV in the US. Japan has a weird tech fetish, they do things there that never catch on anywhere else.

Yeah, sorta like their HD fetish 30 years ago.
They started HD before everyone else.

But hey it'll never catch on anywhere outside of Japan. LOL
Why bother. LOL

Here's an amazing 1993 very early HD promo video of NYC.

Looks stunning.
Everyone else in 1993 was still stuck in a SD world.

But thanks to Japan and their pushing the envelope.
We have this video and the better video that followed it.

This will keep marching forward and it's time for another big upgrade.

8K will be HUGE in US especially because of sports.

8K and 16K will eventually bring loads of live sports and music to movie theaters everywhere.
In every US town and city with theaters.

It will change everything and people will want it at home too.

Even looking at art masterpieces on your 16K TV will be something that is done.

Money to be made on future tech will drive all these changes like usual.

Medical use will also drive super high res. even beyond 16K.

Next year Samsung will probably have a 8K smart phone.

They are already along with Apple miles ahead for home video in 4k 60P HDR.
Japan has dumbed down most consumer camcorders to 4k 30P.
The smart phones have mostly killed off camcorders.
Japan and Sony blew that one. But Samsung is on top of the tech.

YOU might not want it.
But I wish we were already there.

BTW, old 4x5 , 5x7, and 8x10 sheet film photography is still MILES more megapixels than
any digital camera or 8K res. So this old film has more detail yet to be seen.

Ansel Adams shot on all those formats but to date most have never scene the full detail.
Let alone the dynamic range on the film.

Bring it on now Japan and share it with the USA.

bjf

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Not only years ahead of us with tech, they do it cheaper.....Most of the world has faster and cheaper internet...Instead we let a handful of companies control the speed and price....So we pay more, and get less.

Not only years ahead of us with tech, they do it cheaper.....Most of the world has faster and cheaper internet...Instead we let a handful of companies control the speed and price....So we pay more, and get less.
You also need to factor geography. They have a small island to do all of this on

Yeah, sorta like their HD fetish 30 years ago.
They started HD before everyone else.

But hey it'll never catch on anywhere outside of Japan. LOL
Why bother. LOL

It didn't. Japan's first HD standard was analog, they were alone in the world with analog HD broadcasts. No one followed them, and they eventually had to scrap it and forced to move to digital orphaning all the analog HDTVs.

I get you, you think higher resolution is great and we'll see 8K, 16K and so on. Nevermind that we have hardly any 4K and zero sign of any full time 4K channels coming. But keep living in your fantasy world that everyone thinks like you and the money to do this will somehow materialize out of thin air. You don't get higher ratings because of resolution, and you don't get higher ad rates because of resolution. The only place the money will come from is out of the pockets of consumers. You see a lot of appetite for people to pay even more for their TV to offset that cost? LOL

Reactions: N6BY and comp9
slice1900, got a a favor can you enlighten us here about life before the invention of TV.

you know when radio was king. back when you were a young adult. LOL

you know the good ole days. siriusxm satellite radio (satellites are these machines in the sky, i know hard to believe huh),
and siriusxm has a old time radio channel. i know it would bring back great memories for you. LOL

oh darn it, you probably wouldn't use a satellite radio anyway you've got a perfectly good AM radio in your car. LOL

bjf

It didn't. Japan's first HD standard was analog, they were alone in the world with analog HD broadcasts. No one followed them, and they eventually had to scrap it and forced to move to digital orphaning all the analog HDTVs.

I get you, you think higher resolution is great and we'll see 8K, 16K and so on. Nevermind that we have hardly any 4K and zero sign of any full time 4K channels coming. But keep living in your fantasy world that everyone thinks like you and the money to do this will somehow materialize out of thin air. You don't get higher ratings because of resolution, and you don't get higher ad rates because of resolution. The only place the money will come from is out of the pockets of consumers. You see a lot of appetite for people to pay even more for their TV to offset that cost? LOL
That and the guy complaining about all of this doesn't even have 4K from Directv

BTW, I should have spelled it out a bit better for you.
Japan with it's "analog" HDTV kick started the evolution / revolution for HD.
There would be no "Grand Alliance" to create todays HD had it not been for Japan and it's Hi-Vision Analog HD.

Common historical facts.

I guess ignorance is still alive and well.

Do you have a problem with Japan ?

bjf

whitewolf8214,

You're very welcome.
Happy to hear you liked reading it too.
The articles author knows his tech.

Always enjoy sharing info I come across as well as reading others here post.

Japan and now S. Korea are always years ahead of us.

But eventually it will happen here.

Usually by the time it does it, we do improve on everyone else.

For a while. lol

bjf

Reactions: AZ.
Jimbo,

Happy and Appreciative to be living in the states.

But prefer to be part of the world and enjoy diversity of cultures and ideas.

The two above go hand in hand in my book.

Just remember there would be NO United States of America without France (a foreign country).
Thanks to their help we won our freedom from England. They could have just as easily told us to get lost.
Glad they were our friends when we needed them.

bjf

Last edited:
Just recently we have converted most homes to HD, and in a few years I think SD equipment will be gone from all cable and satellite providers.

4K is slowly rolling out, but is bandwidth intensive.

Aren’t we doing (3) 4K channels per 2 transponders?

In order for 8K, 16K or 32K to become a reality we need to get better compression technology available. Just like we went from MPEG2/QPSK, to MPEG4/8PSK, we need something better to support 4K.

The end game is ultimately fiber to the home, and all the special encoding or compression doesn’t really matter at that point.

I’m happy with 4K, and since I now wear glasses it doesn’t do me any good anyways since I usually watch Tv without them on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)