Jets backup QB McElroy talks about team’s ‘corrupt mindset’

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Jets backup QB McElroy talks about team’s ‘corrupt mindset’ - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

With all the talk in and out of the New York Jets' locker room — of Rex Ryan losing the team, ofSantonio Holmeshttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7774/news sulking and giving less than his best, of Mark Sanchezhttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9269/news being far less than the team expected, and of the front office's personnel decisions falling short — it wasn't until a rookie backup quarterback who was hurt all season and didn't even play in the regular season opened his mouth that we got a real sense of just how dysfunctional the Jets organization has become.Former Alabama standout Greg McElroyhttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24995/news told Birmingham's 97.3 The Zone just what went on in the Jets' utter disappointment of the 2011 season, and it's safe to say that all heck will break loose when McElroy's comments hit home.

"It's definitely not a fun place to be, I can assure you,"McElroy said. "It's the first time I've ever been around extremely selfish individuals, and I think that's maybe the nature of the NFL. But there were people within our locker room that didn't care whether we won or lost, as long as they got their ... they really had good games individually. That's the disappointing thing, and it's going to take a lot to kind of come together."
McElroy was placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury before the season began, but he was in meetings all season and saw everything that went on. You could argue that McElroy was just a scrub, but in a way, that gives his testimony even more weight -- he has no equity in that team. He's a seventh-round pick and an easy cut if the Jets want to do that. Still, he felt compelled to talk about what he saw.

I think he kind of came across as telling it like it is.
Ballsy move considering it would take little for them to cut him at this point in his career.

Ballsy move considering it would take little for them to cut him at this point in his career.

While also true, it's the kind of thing that is taken care of inhouse. These kinds of problems are not unique to the Jets, but are brought to light by a more outwardly proud coach and the market they are in.

I heard/watched this on the WNBC NY late news last night, they commented he was probably gone but he did say the players didn't care if they won or lost...

While also true, it's the kind of thing that is taken care of inhouse. These kinds of problems are not unique to the Jets, but are brought to light by a more outwardly proud coach and the market they are in.
I think the problem was, the issues were not being handled in house.
I give him props for stepping up and throwing a light in there.

I think the problem was, the issues were not being handled in house.
I give him props for stepping up and throwing a light in there.
that's not the way it works in the NFL. most locker rooms if not all have one issue or another. while the jets may have more issues than others you still gotta keep that in house. obviously this guy doesn't see it that way. and selfish players, well that's the case of many players in the NFL and its been that way for a long time now. just ask any ex NFL player. in fact this kind of thing is usually said by ex NFL players and not current ones even if they're rookies and on IR.........

Of course this may all be a plan by Greg to make himself releasable to go to another team. Speak the truth, they let you go. On to a better situation.

Who knows.
Regardless of what happens, I guess I see it differently than some here, but in reading many message boards, it seems as if alot of jets fans feel the same (in giving him props I mean).

Of course this may all be a plan by Greg to make himself releasable to go to another team. Speak the truth, they let you go. On to a better situation.

Who knows.
Regardless of what happens, I guess I see it differently than some here, but in reading many message boards, it seems as if alot of jets fans feel the same (in giving him props I mean).

from a fan's point of view of course they would give him props. and we all pretty much have no issues hearing about it. but ask an NFL player what he thinks about this. ;)

from a fan's point of view of course they would give him props. and we all pretty much have no issues hearing about it. but ask an NFL player what he thinks about this. ;)
Oh they may be pissed, sure, it makes many of them look pretty bad in the light of day.
I personally have no problem with that, if it is true.

Another angle to consider. He may not be the starter, but he is a part of the team. I would assume that it is in his best financial interests if the team wins, goes to the playoffs and makes a run.
If that doesnt happen, he, along with the team takes a hit in lost bonuses.
Normally it would be handled in house, but for some reason it does not seem to be happening that way.
Id speak up too, since nobody else seems to be willing to do anything to make the situation better (hypothetical thinking on my part). It may cause some positive change, and it may simply get him in a better situation.

I dont fault him at all from what I have read and seen here. If the players have a problem with it, perhaps they should quit acting like selfish prima donas and start thinking about the team.

Where I the team owner, I might give this kid a raise.

Last edited:
Oh they may be pissed, sure, it makes many of them look pretty bad in the light of day.
I personally have no problem with that, if it is true.

Another angle to consider. He may not be the starter, but he is a part of the team. I would assume that it is in his best financial interests if the team wins, goes to the playoffs and makes a run.
If that doesnt happen, he, along with the team takes a hit in lost bonuses.
Normally it would be handled in house, but for some reason it does not seem to be happening that way.
Id speak up too, since nobody else seems to be willing to do anything to make the situation better (hypothetical thinking on my part). It may cause some positive change, and it may simply get him in a better situation.

I dont fault him at all from what I have read and seen here. If the players have a problem with it, perhaps they should quit acting like selfish prima donas and start thinking about the team.

when things like this happen what usually follows is a very short career in the NFL for such player. that's why its not the way its usually done. every team has these kinds of players. difference is its handled in house. this just may be a strong indication that Rexy has lost control over his players. it was suspected before but this may just prove it.

Not sure on his longevity yet. Greg has a hella head on his shoulders. Probably one of the smartest players in the league.
Now his athletic ability is not superstar caliber, but it is definitely serviceable.
The two together could, with correct coaching, make him a very good QB for a team in the future.

Of course, some teams may not want to touch him if they see him as a "loose cannon" as far as keeping his mouth shut. On the flip side, some owners and coaches may see that as a leadership quality that they need.

In either case, he comes from a fairly well to do family, and if the NFL doesnt pan out, he will most likely use the degree that he obtained and turn out just fine anyway.

I do agree about Rex and his control though. I think it was gone well before this.

Not sure on his longevity yet. Greg has a hella head on his shoulders. Probably one of the smartest players in the league.
Now his athletic ability is not superstar caliber, but it is definitely serviceable.
The two together could, with correct coaching, make him a very good QB for a team in the future.

Of course, some teams may not want to touch him if they see him as a "loose cannon" as far as keeping his mouth shut. On the flip side, some owners and coaches may see that as a leadership quality that they need.

In either case, he comes from a fairly well to do family, and if the NFL doesnt pan out, he will most likely use the degree that he obtained and turn out just fine anyway.
I think if he doesn't make it as a player he'll make a fine coach because of what you said. he's a very smart individual. i've heard him analyze players before and he's good at it. he may have a future in espn as well.

Not doing anything about it? They're already abandoning the captain system next year as it's proven counterproductive to their team. People are clamoring for the Jets to make a change at QB but you don't see them talking about this guy, maybe that's where one point of frustration comes from.

To me he's being selfish like those he describes, by speaking out the way he has. If I were a GM I'd be wary of bringing him in to my team based on this experience. It's counterproductive and does little to help anything going on. The problems are known, Ryan has already admitted as much, this guy is just getting his name out there and at the same time putting another name and face to the selfishness going on in the franchise.

Last edited:
was it rex's idea to make holmes a captain? if so, what in the world was he thinking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts