Jim Tressel: The column you WON'T read in Sports Illustrated

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because I refuse to buy into the Jim Tressel praise and worship "message", that doesn't make me a troll. If I post something that has been established as "fact" against OSU, then the OSU fans just have to deal with it. If I post somehing that is just purely my "opinion" against OSU, then OSU fans can take it for what it's worth to them.

I really don't have an axe to grind with OSU.

Now, Auburn, that's another story. As far as I'm concerned, they got away with some major BS last season, and if all that "darkness" ever comes to "light" like it did at OSU, it'll make what happened at OSU look like small potatoes.

Last edited:
Hall said:
Yes, you are right, but sadly, that's not the society we live in. Political opponents or the media will point out that a 55-year old man/woman running for some office smoked a joint in college.... and that somehow disqualifies them ?

Hall... He didn't smoke pot 20. He got lying to the NCAA...RECENTLY. This was 5, 10 or 20 year ago.

If my fav college football team got bust like this, you Ohio State fans would be all over it like flies on sh%@! The problem is, you guys are in some serious denial. I would not that Tressell is a good man and a good coach. But he blantantly lied in a major investigation...that makes dirty.

Re-read my post, specifically what I QUOTED and then commented on.

I'm not in denial of ANYTHING. Check my posts. I've said all along they broke rules and have to accept the consequences.

Hall said:
Re-read my post, specifically what I QUOTED and then commented on.

I'm not in denial of ANYTHING. Check my posts. I've said all along they broke rules and have to accept the consequences.

I did, read your post again. You are making a comparison with something that might have happened 20 years ago and something done within the last few months. Apples and oranges. One is smoking pot....another is lying in a major investigation.

meStevo said:
What kind of people do you think will stick to this forum, what kind of people do you think the demeaner of this forum attracts? Without any effort to curb the bashing, the insults, the back and forth you can expect more and more of this.

You say people have to respect the school, but with few exceptions the posters here don't even respect each other, so good luck with that.

I agree with most of the stuff said about Tressel in this thread, but the childish sh*t like Outlaw State (which you should just ignore rather than state over and over 'there's no Outlaw State') goes right along with things like Belicheat that just makes it look like you're arguing with a 12 year old and you won't win, and the mods aren't exactly eager to step in either. All the instigating, insults, and the general demeanor of the posters here are why this is the last place I go for sports discussion, because people are more concerned with slinging mud that discussing sports. As long as they click a few banner ads, or at least let them load on the page, management seems to be cool with all of this though.

It could be worse, you should see all the spamming Poke does in the other forums.

Yet you keep coming back!!!

The players that sold something so they could LIVE week to week ..... (just like many other college kids mind you)

That's gotta be the funniest line I've read here, except that I don't think you meant it to be funny. :eek:

For some reason, images of players panhandling for money come to mind when I read that.

The players get a free education, a room, and all the food they can eat. If you replace the word 'LIVE' with 'have some pocket money', I could almost agree with that...

What kind of people do you think will stick to this forum, what kind of people do you think the demeaner of this forum attracts? Without any effort to curb the bashing, the insults, the back and forth you can expect more and more of this.

You say people have to respect the school, but with few exceptions the posters here don't even respect each other, so good luck with that.

I agree with most of the stuff said about Tressel in this thread, but the childish sh*t like Outlaw State (which you should just ignore rather than state over and over 'there's no Outlaw State') goes right along with things like Belicheat that just makes it look like you're arguing with a 12 year old and you won't win, and the mods aren't exactly eager to step in either. All the instigating, insults, and the general demeanor of the posters here are why this is the last place I go for sports discussion, because people are more concerned with slinging mud that discussing sports. As long as they click a few banner ads, or at least let them load on the page, management seems to be cool with all of this though.

It could be worse, you should see all the spamming Poke does in the other forums.
The straight-up flaming of fellow posters is starting to get bad.

Yet you keep coming back!!!

I only 'left' once, and after a few months away just visit periodically now. A little more often when I'm involved in a discussion. I've posted 80-90 times since November after being extremely active the 6 years prior?

The straight-up flaming of fellow posters is starting to get bad.

On other forums I'd say use the report button, but that's what got me warned and then banned here once. So until the mods step forward with an effort to change the tone it is what it is.

Last edited:
The players get a free education, a room, and all the food they can eat. If you replace the word 'LIVE' with 'have some pocket money', I could almost agree with that...
Not all players on the football team have a full-ride scholarship.

I do have to laugh at Jimbo's comment "so they could live week to week" !! He is way too emotionally attached to this issue.

Not all players on the football team have a full-ride scholarship.
You're correct, but why is it the better players that do have a full-ride seem to be the ones in trouble all the time?? Is it because the walk-ons don't have any marketability for their memorabilia?? :p

I wouldn't.
Most of the REAL Ohio State fans wouldn't.

That said, the SEC would just brush it under the rug like they did with Auburn.

Jimbo.... I know you wouldn't. But I remember Miami getting beat up by Ohio State and the sh** talking was NO STOP. Lasting into the weeks after the game.

Jimbo.... I know you wouldn't. But I remember Miami getting beat up by Ohio State and the sh** talking was NO STOP. Lasting into the weeks after the game.

And it could have been deserved .... afterall, we STILL hear you bashing us about the Championship game we won.

And it could have been deserved .... afterall, we STILL hear you bashing us about the Championship game we won.

ONLY when brought up. I do not talk crap about my teams. You do not hear me say "our team will do this to your team" or "we will destroy you" or anything of the sort.

ONLY when brought up. I do not talk crap about my teams. You do not hear me say "our team will do this to your team" or "we will destroy you" or anything of the sort.

I know ....
You don't hear me talking trash to others either, I just put up with all the sh*t coming north. :fencing:

...the SEC would just brush it under the rug like they did with Auburn.
Auburn just brushed it under the rug, much like Tressell and tOSU tried to do. And both the SEC and the Big10 just kept quiet. The NCAA is still investigating Auburn from what I hear, and there are plenty fans from other teams in the SEC who want them to...myself included. If a team is blatantly violating the rules and ignoring it, I think they should get what's coming to them...LSU included.

Last edited:
Auburn just brushed it under the rug, much like Tressell and tOSU tried to do. And both the SEC and the Big10 just kept quiet. The NCAA is still investigating Auburn from what I hear, and there are plenty fans from other teams in the SEC who want them to...myself included. If a team is blatantly cheating, I think they should get what's coming to them...LSU included.

The NCAA is investigating Auburn ?
What on every third Tuesday ?

I haven't heard a peep out of the NCAA about Auburn, barely heard a peep out of them when it all went down.

The NCAA WANTED Auburn to cover it up so they could have thier #1 team available for the bowl game.
Much like the Bowl wanted the Buckeyes to play.

...I haven't heard a peep out of the NCAA about Auburn, barely heard a peep out of them when it all went down.
They haven't contacted you about it? :D

The NCAA WANTED Auburn to cover it up so they could have thier #1 team available for the bowl game.
Much like the Bowl wanted the Buckeyes to play.
The NCAA operates like a huge bureaucracy, much like the government. They seem to only start looking into violations after everyone else has and they feel pressure from the media. It took them forever to deal with USC and Reggie Bush. They'll get around to Auburn. They also seem to be taking their time with tOSU too. That's how they operate. It's no big conspiracy against your team or any one else's. That's what I believe anyway.

Last edited:
I wouldn't.
Most of the REAL Ohio State fans wouldn't.

That said, the SEC would just brush it under the rug like they did with Auburn.
So because Auburn seems to get away with something, then Ohio St. should to? Sorry, but ask Alabama & Auburn fans if the SEC gets away with things, both have had lengthy penalties before.

Sorry, but they should get the same or more as USC did. And since Tressel lied during the investigation, and knew about the rule breaking & did nothing, he should get a show cause same as Todd McNair did as USC for pretty much the same thing.

To say Ohio St & Tressel should get a pass, is a slap in the face to all the teams & coaches that do the right thing.

And imagine, this was suppose to be the thread that we could look at the positive that the man has done , untill the detractors came along, thanks guys.

It all comes down to two things.

As to JT, he, by his own choice, is in that same boat as people like Barry Bonds, Richard Nixon, and such. How many HRs would Bonds have hit, honestly? Where would he rank in the historical fram of baseball, honestly? Would he have been almost what he was by cheating, or would he have been a guy who hit a lot of flyballs to waiting outfields? I don't know. You don't know. Barry Bonds doesn't know. Because he decided to cheat. All discussion of what he was and is begins and ends with cheating, by his own choice. Similarly, in much more important things, in some alternative history world where Watergate is just some dump of a development in DC, what is Richard Nixon's entry in a history book? Is he remembered as the man who openned China, settled Vietnam with honor, toned down the Cold War, finally eradicated that last segregationists from power in the South? Or is he remembered as a mediocre to bad president who tried to play both sides against the middle and destroyed the two party system? Don't know, because, here in the real world, all discussion of Mr. Nixon begins, and ends, with Watergate. With the fact that he was a dishonest person and lost everything because he was a dishonest person. Now, in football terms, is JT REALLY a Big 10 level coach? Is he really fit to be in the same room as people like Joe Paterno? Or is he some I-AA or Div II guy slugging it out with Appy State and NE Oklahoma? Or is he some coach at some middle school somewhere? I don't know. You don't know. He doesn't know. Because, from the day he started at YSU to the day he resigned in disgrace, JT never followed the rules that every one else was following. He acheived things by cheating. Every game he ever had anythng to do with, he was not following the rules. He was paying his players, and others were using amateurs. Really that simple. So no discussion of JT is possible, because no one, including JT, will ever know what JT really would have been, had he decided to be an honest man, rather than the liar, cheat, and hypocrite he is.

The other thing is yelling "NOT" really loudly is not a comeback. You are seriously in denial. OK. You apparently have a lot of your own self-worth tied up in a college football team. You have, for over a decade, watched that school do things you liked. Now you know, deep down, you know, none of it was real. They were cheating. They really did not honestly win those games. Your yelling "NOT" does not change that. Nothing can change that. Someday, most OSU fans will be ashamed of JT and this era of cheating football, and will move on. And, someday, OSU may actually win games on an even playing field with everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)