Joey 4K not compatible with 4KTV

Anyone who bought a 4k TV in 2013 or 2014 was naïve not to know that HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 had not been finalized and were not both included in their sets. I bought a non-compliant Samsung in 2014 because I knew that I could update the hardware to 2015 with an Evolution kit. I did that with the SEK3500 (with a great Black Friday deal) and now my TV is compliant and faster. Your beef should be with the TV manufacturers that did not provide an upgrade path.

"naïve" or "ignorant"? I was looking at Panasonic's web site at their current 4K offerings. There's not a single mention of the HDCP version used (I checked the "features", I've check the "specifications", everywhere.) And how many TV manufactures actually update their firmware once the new model arrives? I have owned a lot of "smart TVs", but getting new firmware or app updates once the new replacement models arrive is unheard of.

"naïve" or "ignorant"? I was looking at Panasonic's web site at their current 4K offerings. There's not a single mention of the HDCP version used (I checked the "features", I've check the "specifications", everywhere.) And how many TV manufactures actually update their firmware once the new model arrives? I have owned a lot of "smart TVs", but getting new firmware or app updates once the new replacement models arrive is unheard of.

I have a Vizio and get regular firmware updates. I have an Onkyo receiver and get regular firmware updates. But if the HDMI is not version 2.0 and doesn't support hdcp 2.2, odds are it won't ever support it. Those are typically hardware upgrades. The Samsung offering the evolution kit is pretty rare in today's technology. It's essentially a box that connects to the tv using a special port and allows the box to basically become the new brain of the tv.

I'm not sure about a software update for HDMI 1.4 to 2.0. I thought it was hardware related, but I'm no expert. But I do know if you do not have HDMI 2.0 you cannot have HDCP 2.2. I know on the 4K Sony I purchased in Dec, it came with four HDMI 2.0 HDMI ports that were also HDCP 2.2 compliant. And in a Feb update, the HDMI 2.0 was updated to HDMI 2.0a which allows for HDR content from places like Netflix. And it works, Netflix has at least one show with HDR and that is Marco Polo.

And I have to say, I watched an episode of Marco Polo in 1080 then in 4K and could not really notice any difference unless I plucked my face about six inches from the screen and then there was a noticeable difference. However, after the TV was uploaded to allow HDR content, all I can say is WOW. Contrast were much better and colors seemed to explode off the screen and slap me in the face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)