Joey and 722 with same connection?

Rastan

Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
Boston
Hi....
I'm sick of waiting for Dish to fix my EHD issue and decided to go purchase my own 722 to view my old drives (assuming my hopper didn't format them). So I want to hook this up to a tv I have one of my joey's on. Previously it had a 622 on it pre-hopper. What I need to know is will the duplexer split the satellite signal so I can have both the Joey and 722 connected to it? I'm having hard time finding information in this direction (I can find hooking one box into two tv's easily enough) so I'm thinking this isn't really possible. Before conceding to that idea, i thought I'd drop a message here to get an informed opinion.

It SHOULD work with diplexers on each end and another lead from the dish or switch. The problem is that Dish won't activate a 722 on an account with Hoppers and Joeys and without activation the 722 won't read your EHD's.

Hi....
I'm sick of waiting for Dish to fix my EHD issue and decided to go purchase my own 722 to view my old drives (assuming my hopper didn't format them). So I want to hook this up to a tv I have one of my joey's on. Previously it had a 622 on it pre-hopper. What I need to know is will the duplexer split the satellite signal so I can have both the Joey and 722 connected to it? I'm having hard time finding information in this direction (I can find hooking one box into two tv's easily enough) so I'm thinking this isn't really possible. Before conceding to that idea, i thought I'd drop a message here to get an informed opinion.

What you are trying to do is not going to work. For one thing, you would need a separate cable coming from the dish to the 722. Even if you did manage to get it hooked up right you will not be able to activate it on your account. You could have someone you know that doesn't have the Hopper activate it on their account and then you could use it at home. You'd just have to pay your friend the $17 to have it on his account.

eh, poo...well I guess I'm going to have another very long unproductive conversation with customer retention that my EHD has been not recognized for 4 months with no indication when and if it'll be fixed and that they can either figure out a way of enabling my my 722 or come in and downgrade everything in my house to older tech.

I bet technically a 722 and a Joey could share the same line with the new integrator... It does no good though without activation.

I don't see how that would be possible since each need their own dedicated line from the LNB.

A Joey doesn't need a separate line from the dish. I would bet it would work on one line with a pair of di-plexers or integrators. The Joeys use basically the same frequencies that we've been di-plexing with sat signals for years like channel 60 or 73. The 722 line from the dish is 950mhz to 2250mhz which is way higher than that.

But all that does no good without the authorization.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
A Joey doesn't need a separate line from the dish. I would bet it would work on one line with a pair of di-plexers or integrators. The Joeys use basically the same frequencies that we've been di-plexing with sat signals for years like channel 60 or 73. The 722 line from the dish is 950mhz to 2250mhz which is way higher than that.
The Super Joey does need a line to the dish, it just goes through the Integrator to add the MoCA signals. The Super Joey uses 950-2250 because it has satellite tuners.

The Super Joey does need a line to the dish, it just goes through the Integrator to add the MoCA signals. The Super Joey uses 950-2250 because it has satellite tuners.

Yes, you're correct. We weren't talking about the SuperJoey but a 722 and a Joey is like a SuperJoey as far as what's traveling on the wire. :)

Not that it matters because I apparently cant get it activated, but this location did originally have a 622 on it and my 722 was downstairs, so it did have a dedicated connection at one point. I dont know if the installer disconnected it when the hopper went in.

The solo node (for a single Hopper) takes two DPP cables, so they are no doubt both in use. It is rarely (almost never?) that an installer will pull down 3 cables from the antenna, except of course when they have to.

Reactions: JSheridan
Didn't the 722 take two dpp cables as well? Its entirely possible that I had three put in. My first installer was very helpful and went above and beyond in a few situations. Again...none of it matters if I cant get the 722 activated.

Didn't the 722 take two dpp cables as well? Its entirely possible that I had three put in. My first installer was very helpful and went above and beyond in a few situations. Again...none of it matters if I cant get the 722 activated.
Nope, just 1.

Depended on the LNB. If someone tried hooking up a dual tuner to the older LNB it required two cables. The new LNB only requires on cable to the receiver and then there is a separator at the back of the receiver to feed the two tuners.

eh, poo...well I guess I'm going to have another very long unproductive conversation with customer retention that my EHD has been not recognized for 4 months with no indication when and if it'll be fixed and that they can either figure out a way of enabling my my 722 or come in and downgrade everything in my house to older tech.
Getting to the heart of the issue/problem. Hopper not recognizing EHD may be a problem with the EHD. This happened to me once, even replaced the 722K to no avail. Turned out it was a bad EHD power supply? Have you tried other EHDs?

Reactions: navychop
Yes, I've tried two standalone EHD drives of different types that had data on them that could not be read, though they both got "you have disconnected a usb device" when removed only from the front port. I tried a USB enclosure with several drives that none of them got recognized at all (although they worked fine on the 722). I tried a new blank EHD and it did not ask me to format. Through this whole thing, Dish doesn't think that maybe there's just a problem with both of the USB ports on my hopper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)