Joey not connecting to wifi (please read)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wackajll

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
US
I got a new router for a client of mine. I'm going to all of their devices to make sure they are reconnected. When I look at the Joey, it does not give me an option to connect wifi. It only tells me that it needs an ethernet connection. The client says that it has been connected to wifi before. Can I only connect to wifi through the hopper? They also said that the dish installer connected all of the Joey's individually. Please give me any info you

I got a new router for a client of mine. I'm going to all of their devices to make sure they are reconnected. When I look at the Joey, it does not give me an option to connect wifi. It only tells me that it needs an ethernet connection. The client says that it has been connected to wifi before. Can I only connect to wifi through the hopper? They also said that the dish installer connected all of the Joey's individually. Please give me any info you

There is no need for the Joey's to have direct internet connectivity. Going from memory, my Joey's show up as connected devices on my router even though they aren't directly connected to my network. I believe they get IP addresses and connectivity via the MOCA network over the coax connecting the joey's and the hopper. This may be why your client thinks they were connected previously. They saw the Joey's as connected devices on their router.

There is no need for the Joey's to have direct internet connectivity. Going from memory, my Joey's show up as connected devices on my router even though they aren't directly connected to my network. I believe they get IP addresses and connectivity via the MOCA network over the coax connecting the joey's and the hopper. This may be why your client thinks they were connected previously. They saw the Joey's as connected devices on their router.
So I should use their hopper to connect to the wifi?

Reactions: charlesrshell
If the modem is close to hopper 3, an ethernet cable will give you the most reliable connection, assuming your download speed is not very slow. In my case, the modem is on the first floor, and the big tv is in the basement. Although phones, tablets,laptops and hopper 3 (which is in the basement) are able to get wifi signal, I still use a range extender in the basement. hopper 3 gets wifi signal from the extender, and works fine. as mentioned by others, no need to connect Joeys to the modem.

Reactions: charlesrshell