Joey not working with S278

lazydogmot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
N/E Florida
Just had Joey installed yesterday and it got S278 when installer set it up. Hopper was installed the day before and has S222. Joey will not get a picture or the guide. All menus work on Joey.

Does Hopper have to be on S229 (or S230) to work with Joey S278?

We do have an installer coming out Saturday afternoon to try and resolve issue.

From what I've seen, yes the hopper needs to have S229 (or S230) to work with the S278 Joey software, but I might be mistaken, someone with more knowledge will hopefully post.

@ICBM99: I just PM'd ZachS and he said that is correct. I called in last night and tried to get them to hit the receiver but it.....didn't work(?). Still on S222.

I wonder if there is a way to roll the Joey software back to one that is compatible with S278?

*Edit, what software does the Hopper say is available for the Joey?

@ICBM99: I just PM'd ZachS and he said that is correct. I called in last night and tried to get them to hit the receiver but it.....didn't work(?). Still on S222.

I expect all hoppers will have s230 pretty soon. That would probably solve your issue.

I think the only other way to force it is by replacing the hopper with a new one.

ICBM99 said:
I wonder if there is a way to roll the Joey software back to one that is compatible with S278?

*Edit, what software does the Hopper say is available for the Joey?

Try putting the hopper into standby and then remove coax from the Joey, followed by power. Wait a minute then connect power first followed by coax and let it boot. Since it has S278 already, it may not go back to s271 but I would try it to see why happens. And if your Joey has S278 already then there is a good chance that s229/230 should be received soon. Let me know if this works. If you have multiple Joey's then disconnect the second one from both coax and power and leave it disconnected whole you try these steps on the other Joey.

I agree with sparc and you should probably just wait till you get S230, it seems it's rolling out faster now.

But if you wanted to try, you could try to reset the Joey to download the software from the Hopper. A DIRT member may know how.

*Edit, posted at the same time. lucky86's post above, may get it to revert to the older software.

I just talked with Dish again and they authorized a software hit but it didn't work on the Hopper that can't communicate with the Joey. It's still on S222. But, it did work on our other Hopper. It went from S229 to S230. WTF?

I just talked with Dish again and they authorized a software hit but it didn't work on the Hopper that can't communicate with the Joey. It's still on S222. But, it did work on our other Hopper. It went from S229 to S230. WTF?

Patience young grass hoppa. I would leave the other Hopper in standby for a while. If one of the Hoppers just updated, then most likely the other Hopper will update soon. There is no such thing as a "software hit". Not sure why the CSR told you that. A hit isn't going to do anything to do with a software download. That is all about targeting and if you receive is supposed to get the update today then it will.

Link the Joey to the one with the newer software and it will be updated from the Hopper if it hasn't already done so on it's own.

does your joey work fine with the hopper on s230?

i'm guessing so... i'd just leave it that way until the other hopper gets pushed an update.

Hey! You guys are right! I linked the Joey to the Hopper with S230 and it is working now.

We had one Hopper (w/S222) installed Wed. and he ran out of good hoppers so he had to come back next day with two more Hoppers (second one worked) and it downloaded S229 (today the one with S229 bumped to S230). What I'm saying is, if installer can call for software download then why can't Dish do that when you're talking to them on the phone?

Thank you guys for your help. Now my son and his wife can watch TV on the Joey at least.

@lucky86 I am 68 years old, I don't have the time to be patient!;)

Hey! You guys are right! I linked the Joey to the Hopper with S230 and it is working now.

We had one Hopper (w/S222) installed Wed. and he ran out of good hoppers so he had to come back next day with two more Hoppers (second one worked) and it downloaded S229 (today the one with S229 bumped to S230). What I'm saying is, if installer can call for software download then why can't Dish do that when you're talking to them on the phone?

Thank you guys for your help. Now my son and his wife can watch TV on the Joey at least.

@lucky86 I am 68 years old, I don't have the time to be patient!;)

When he calls, he's most likely calling to get the receiver information added to your account so it can be activated. There is nothing that is done by calling to get the software to update. Once your receiver is targeted for the update, it should update when put into standby. It could take a little time but your other Hopper should update soon. The reason why the the S278 Joey didn't work with the S222 software is because S222 matches up with S271. S229/230 matches up with S278. If you have a Joey with older or newer software than the Hopper, then you will see a black screen when you are trying to access live TV/DVR contents. I would leave it set up and linked the way you have it and just put the S222 Hopper into standby and wait for the update.

I installed a 1 Hopper/ 3 Joey Yesterday.. After the Hopper downloaded it had S222 software but under Joey software it read none.. And nothing I could do would fix this problem. Dish Tech support was as usual clueless.. No Joeys would work without software.. Finally gave up and pulled a new hopper out of the truck.. It downloaded S229 and correct Joey software. Then all Joeys worked.. Moral of this story.. There is nothing you can do if the Hopper doesn't download correctly.. 2 hour job turned into a all day affair.

Everything is now working the way it should and all software is updated. We do really like the system.

It took three visits from Dish, five Hoppers and two Joeys to get a two Hopper and one Joey setup working. That means three Hoppers and a Joey are going back to be looked at for faults. It seems like a lot of time and equipment ($) to get the job done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)