Joey question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mopardude01

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
missouri
Can split it to 2 TVs, one with hdmi and the other tv by using component cables with a rf modulator going to 2nd tv? Thanks again.

I think the Joey has composite and not component. Yes, you can do that, but notice that I have never tried the composite outputs on my J3's. In general, Dish receivers' outputs are all on at once. I personally plugged in both the component and HDMI from my H3 and that works.

I think the Joey has composite and not component. Yes, you can do that, but notice that I have never tried the composite outputs on my J3's. In general, Dish receivers' outputs are all on at once. I personally plugged in both the component and HDMI from my H3 and that works.
Thank you, I was in Hope's it worked that way.

That's exactly how to do it. The Composite outs to an RF Modulator
Recently had to update my dish equipment, and had the wireless Joey set up in BR to mirror to another TV in Kitchen (as recommended here, composite outs to RF modulator).

All was working well when the Dish installer left...mirrored TV had it's own remote (had to use TV for on/off & volume).....Input was HDMI1.

The next morning both TVs were not working...tech came out and got the BR unit (with Joey) working, but Kitchen would not work. He said you can't mirror a TV from the Joey (he made two phone calls, to verify his statement, and said his contacts agreed "couldn't be done".

Since the Kitchen TV work perfectly after the original install, I'm thinking it's something in the set-up screens that need to be changed.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Recently had to update my dish equipment, and had the wireless Joey set up in BR to mirror to another TV in Kitchen (as recommended here, composite outs to RF modulator).

All was working well when the Dish installer left...mirrored TV had it's own remote (had to use TV for on/off & volume).....Input was HDMI1.

The next morning both TVs were not working...tech came out and got the BR unit (with Joey) working, but Kitchen would not work. He said you can't mirror a TV from the Joey (he made two phone calls, to verify his statement, and said his contacts agreed "couldn't be done".

Since the Kitchen TV work perfectly after the original install, I'm thinking it's something in the set-up screens that need to be changed.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
I did a mirror from a Joey 3 on a Basement to a Kitchen TV Monday, no problem. Red, White, Yellow component cables to RF Modulator, Coax to Kitchen TV set to Channel 3. I've done this dozens of times. There's nothing in the setup screens involved.

I used this same setup when I was COVID isolating in our family vacation cottage. The kitchen TV has a Joey, and there is an existing coax from the kitchen to the bedroom TV from a previous cable installation. The modulator was in my spares, so the setup was pretty simple. As said, no Joey or TV settings were needed beyond tuning to the correct channel. I didn't try the remote from the bedroom, I just used the remote feature in the DishAnywhere app.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You're not apt to get a very good picture out of the composite port, it is 480i at best. HDMI is ALWAYS carried over a special cable to a special port never coax to the TV. The installer was probably alluding to the fact that the composite output carries the same programming as the HDMI port only at 480i instead of 1080i or 720p (depending on your receiver output settings). Converting that composite to RF then back to composite also worsens the picture quality.