Joey remote distance?

Perhaps if one had a purchased Joey that you could open it up and find where the built in antenna is and modify it to solder an external antenna or connector to it to diplex like what is done with the other receivers with UHF antennas? Or maybe one can get an IR to UHF Pro kit to extend the range modifying it somehow. Another way could be to get an IR Emittor.

Do the 40.0 remotes have to go to the Joeys? I would think the UHF or 2G or whatever it is would control the Hopper. I was planning on all the remote TVs that don't have a Hopper or Joey, the remote control at that TV will be linked to a one of the Hoppers. Am I planning wrong? Is this not possible? Sorry for all the questions. I am sure this all has been addressed someplace in this Forum but I am real busy and don't have time to do all the searches. Thanks for your patients and help.

The remotes work for the Hoppers and Joeys. The Hoppers and Joeys do not have their own specific remotes. From what I remember, all it takes is bing in the system setup screen of a receiver and pressing the SAT button to link it to that device. If the remote is already linked to a different device you would have to go into that devices system info screen and unlink it.

The remotes work for the Hoppers and Joeys. The Hoppers and Joeys do not have their own specific remotes. From what I remember, all it takes is bing in the system setup screen of a receiver and pressing the SAT button to link it to that device. If the remote is already linked to a different device you would have to go into that devices system info screen and unlink it.

OK, thanks. I was hoping you didn't have to go thru all that. Lot easier just to change the address where ever you are at and not have to go to the Hopper.

OK, thanks. I was hoping you didn't have to go thru all that. Lot easier just to change the address where ever you are at and not have to go to the Hopper.

You'll find that the remotes for the Hopper and Joeys are much easier. Dealing with remote addresses is actually a bigger pain in my mind.

Well if you're only pairing that remote once it should be alright.

Well, when I am in my man cave in the garage watching TV and I want to switch to another DVR, I do a quick remote address change and change the channel on the TV to correct modulated channel number and I am good to go. I do this quite often. Maybe it will be less with the new system. Time will tell.

Well, when I am in my man cave in the garage watching TV and I want to switch to another DVR, I do a quick remote address change and change the channel on the TV to correct modulated channel number and I am good to go. I do this quite often. Maybe it will be less with the new system. Time will tell.
With the Hopper system you don't need to switch. If you have more than one Hopper you can see and watch any recording on any other Hopper from the one you are watching.

With the Hopper system you don't need to switch. If you have more than one Hopper you can see and watch any recording on any other Hopper from the one you are watching.

Does it work that way if you are watching a TV that does not have a Hopper or Joey?

I will be watching a modulated signal from a Hopper. You need to re-read from post #15 to present.

Even though the the receiver is not physically in the room you still have full function of it as if it were in the room, therefor it makes no difference.

Even though the the receiver is not physically in the room you still have full function of it as if it were in the room, therefor it makes no difference.

I understand that, but if you want to switch to another Hopper you have to de-link from the present Hopper and then re-link to the other Hopper right?

I understand that, but if you want to switch to another Hopper you have to de-link from the present Hopper and then re-link to the other Hopper right?

You can unlink the Joey itself and link to the other Hopper in that case. If you are saying that you'll have two different Hoppers mirrored to that room and you wish to switch between the two of them then you would have to unlink and link the remote to the other Hopper like you were describing.

The setup you are describing doesn't seem to be the best unless you are trying to save money by not having any Joeys.

ONLY if you want to set up a timer on the other Hopper, you can watch any recording on any Hopper from the DVR menu from either a Hopper or Joey.

You can unlink the Joey itself and link to the other Hopper in that case. If you are saying that you'll have two different Hoppers mirrored to that room and you wish to switch between the two of them then you would have to unlink and link the remote to the other Hopper like you were describing.

The setup you are describing doesn't seem to be the best unless you are trying to save money by not having any Joeys.

I don’t understand why you are saying unlinking the Joey. I don’t plan on linking to the Joeys. For the TVs that do not have a Hopper or a Joey, the remotes will be linked to one of the Hoppers not the Joeys.

I have ten TVs in my home, only five are HD. I have plans to have three Hoppers and two Joeys installed if Dish TV allows it. The three Hoppers will each have a RF Modulator connected to each one at the RCA ports. Each Hopper will have its own modulated channel that goes by coax to a three way combiner and then to my home distribution 12 port splitter. The non HD TVs will not have a Joey. These TVs can watch any of the three Hoppers modulated SD signals. I am attaching a copy of my home distribution wiring diagram with VIP722s to see if that will help explain it a little better.

Attachments

• Distribution DiagramAlt-1Arrow.ppt
    34.5 KB · Views: 190
Each Hopper can see the recordings of each other so unless you need to set a timer or just need to watch another tuner there shouldn't be a need to set your remote to run multiple Hoppers.

I have a 1h 2j system and one of the Joeys has a modulator on it to feed the kitchen and spa room. The HDMI is on a 50 foot equalized cable to my office, in the front of the house. The kitchen is kitty corner to the office and the spa room is at the back of the house. When the joey was in the office, the remote in the kitchen and spa room did not work very good. The walls in this 1957 built cape cod are steel lath with plaster covering and the joes remotes do not work even at 30 feet. I moved the joey to the mid point (a book shelf in the dining room) and all remotes work fine. That was my solution. My test was moving the joey by itself, only wire was to a tvt attached to it to see the menu and that told me the location was ok as all remotes worked before I moved the wiring, which passed that location to get to the office, so I did not have to extend any cables. Just one new run, the HDMI. (I first used HDMI over ethernet, but during one storm, one unit blew, so I went with just cable)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)