Joey Won't Download Software

juliemcd88

Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
United States
Hello,
We had a tech at our house for 5 hours yesterday having to replace our hopper and joey. The hopper works fine, however when the tech tried to hook up the joey, he couldn't get past the download of software. It just got stuck in the download phase and wouldn't move on. He tried 2 other Joeys and had the same results. He had to leave to go to other appointments and left the Joey trying to download. Nothing ever happened with it....the software never downloaded. He said he would send someone back today. I am still waiting. Haven't heard anything from the technician. Anyway, I am trying to troubleshoot it myself. Any ideas? Thanks!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/279345-Joeys-wont-Link?highlight=joey,+activation,+reset

Read through this thread. If you scroll down the thread a ways you will see steps to take in order to reset the Joey. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

If you don't have time to read all of it then just try this,

Disconnect the co/ax (moCA) connection from the Joey
Place the Joey in standby using the front panel
Reconnect the co/ax (moCA) connection to the Joey
Reset the Joey (AC reset is suggested)
The Joey should then boot back up to 061 and do the software download

There could be a problem with the wire, a splitter or the node?

A tech could place a tap behind the Hopper and connect the Joey there and do the download. Then connect it where it goes and see if it works.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
How many hoppers do you have? When I had my initial install I had the same problem with a Joey hung up on the download. It turned out one of the Hoppers was bad and stuck in download mode causing a problem with the Joey (on the other Hopper) from downloading the software. As soon as I unplugged the bad Hopper the Joey finished the down load.

Bad Hopper, ran into this a few times doing installs of these thus far. The first time it happened the joey downloaded twice but when it finally came up it was showing a pixel destroyed image every so often and red moca which means that it was an issue some where. I replaced the cable directly to the node and the node then replaced the hopper cable with same results. I connected a new joey and it wouldn't even download so the last item was hopper, replaced and all was good. From then on out when I see that happen which has only been once since then I replace the hopper and sure enough its bad.

I would just call Dish and have them RA you a new hopper rather than call them and have a trouble call setup on that tech which will cost him down the road for something that isn't his fault. Its easy to hook up on your own and will save a ton of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)