Pictures of my EA Install (some things seem odd to me)

ohioankev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
I finally got a chance to really look over my install. Just to start off the installer left my old dish on the house, and left the WA LNB. (I removed the LNB today) Then I noticed I had the cables running from my new LNB attached to my gas line. Then I noticed that the duo node was still grounded to my old dish. I'm thinking that this install isn't right and I should have paid more attention before signing off but I already called the company that did the install. (also the installer reported that he advised my EA install wasn't possible and didn't do the install, according to the CSR at the regional contractor office, red flag) and they'll be out later but here are some pictures.

new dish on the roof, the cables from the LNB drop down, go under the stairs and then are connected to the gas line, pictures below.
000_0441.JPG

There is actually no gas service, but doesn't the gas still come to the point to where it's capped off ?
000_0443.JPG000_0444.JPG

Anyways then I noticed that my old dish was still grounded to the node.
000_0442.JPG000_0445.JPG000_0446.JPG000_0447.JPG

The guy told me how he was going to do the install. Wires dropped down from the roof, under the stairs, I figured he was going to use fasteners to attach the cable to the bottom of the siding like the previous installs, and that the "wiring" would include the ground wire. I should have taken a closer look before I signed the paperwork but it I was also doing with computer issues and doing a full reinstall of windows and holding my dog at the same time (to keep her away from the installer)

Alright so by chance lightening did hit my dish voltage running down to that wouldn't matter or be even possible to happen in the first place ? I just don't want the house to you know, blow up and I really know nothing other than what the installer that connected my Hopper system told me about never connecting anything to gas lines. (this was prior to being connected to the eastern arc)

There isn't anything particularly dangerous that I can see, however if the goal of the tech was to do a sloppy job. He definitely achieved that.

For peace of mind and so it wouldn't look so messy, I'd probably just cut that plastic wire tie off of the gas pipe and tack it up under the siding myself, remove the old dish and run the ground wire to the new one. A bag of plastic cable clamps is cheap and it wouldn't take much time, no sense in losing any sleep over it.

I agree with Stardust3, doesn't look particularly dangerous from what can be seen, definitely looks sloppy though.

Last edited:
Alright so by chance lightening did hit my dish voltage running down to that wouldn't matter or be even possible to happen in the first place ? I just don't want the house to you know, blow up and I really know nothing other than what the installer that connected my Hopper system told me about never connecting anything to gas lines. (this was prior to being connected to the eastern arc)
Never put any wires on a gas line. The curb may not be off and or valves leaking. It is not a safe practice.

I agree it looks sloppy. I understand the techs are in a hurry and aren't making enough to go crazy. When I upgraded to the Hopper I got the intaller to get the wiring close enough to the way I want it and leave me a little slack so I could clean it up when he left so I was happy and he didn't have to spend the time to be that meticulous. I think you could clean that up reasonably easily and pull the old dish down just so it looks better.

Was the tech specifically asked to take the old dish down?

That doesn't account for the other stuff, but if they were not asked I would not assume that they would do it.

I agree it looks sloppy. I understand the techs are in a hurry and aren't making enough to go crazy. When I upgraded to the Hopper I got the intaller to get the wiring close enough to the way I want it and leave me a little slack so I could clean it up when he left so I was happy and he didn't have to spend the time to be that meticulous. I think you could clean that up reasonably easily and pull the old dish down just so it looks better.

This X2! As a tech I can tell you that being in a hurry is a daily task. I get 4-6 jobs placed on me for the day normally and you have to figure out how to get them all in before a decent end time in the afternoon which to me is by 4pm to enjoy some sorta family life. I agree that I cut some corners on a few jobs and make others look awesome, just depends on the home and the home owner if you want my honest opinion. If the house or say trailer looks like it needs to be condemned then I'll make cables run straight but aside from that don't expect much else unless its a full new install and there was nothing on the house to start with. If its a super new home then I expect it to be prewired RG6 (industry standard now) or you better be figuring out how to get cable from Point A to Point B with as little work as possible or expect me to drill a bunch of holes. I can't read minds and the home owner knows the house but don't expect to say put it here and walk off....ohh hell no! Dog or no dog you best be hanging around so I can ask questions or I'm gonna drill drill DRILL baby!

As for taking down the old dish, I would have to use on another job since its already assembled. I love those already assembled 500's I keep laying around from a upgrade just for those flex accounts or standard only installs that are getting nothing but a 322 or 311. If I wasn't gonna need it then I won't touch it and the home owner can figure out how to use a wrench to take it down cause remember (most techs get paid by the job not by the hour).

This X2! As a tech I can tell you that being in a hurry is a daily task. I get 4-6 jobs placed on me for the day normally and you have to figure out how to get them all in before a decent end time in the afternoon which to me is by 4pm to enjoy some sorta family life. I agree that I cut some corners on a few jobs and make others look awesome, just depends on the home and the home owner if you want my honest opinion. If the house or say trailer looks like it needs to be condemned then I'll make cables run straight but aside from that don't expect much else unless its a full new install and there was nothing on the house to start with. If its a super new home then I expect it to be prewired RG6 (industry standard now) or you better be figuring out how to get cable from Point A to Point B with as little work as possible or expect me to drill a bunch of holes. I can't read minds and the home owner knows the house but don't expect to say put it here and walk off....ohh hell no! Dog or no dog you best be hanging around so I can ask questions or I'm gonna drill drill DRILL baby!

As for taking down the old dish, I would have to use on another job since its already assembled. I love those already assembled 500's I keep laying around from a upgrade just for those flex accounts or standard only installs that are getting nothing but a 322 or 311. If I wasn't gonna need it then I won't touch it and the home owner can figure out how to use a wrench to take it down cause remember (most techs get paid by the job not by the hour).

When I was a young telephone installer back in the 60s my boss once told me that "you should install every telephone as if it were in your own house, outside and inside." I did just that. I think you should be ashamed of yourself, thinking that, just because it's a trailer or otherwise that you should be able to get away with shoddy installation. I am so angry right now by your pronouncement that I have to go away!!!

When I was a young telephone installer back in the 60s my boss once told me that "you should install every telephone as if it were in your own house, outside and inside." I did just that. I think you should be ashamed of yourself, thinking that, just because it's a trailer or otherwise that you should be able to get away with shoddy installation. I am so angry right now by your pronouncement that I have to go away!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I'd go over each step of it with the customer and make sure they were aware of how the runs were gonna be which for many they just don't give a damn. The installs would pass inspections and would last for years provided their dog or kid didn't chew the wires in half or the feces didn't rot it so yeah I'm sorry to say that my home didn't have what most would claim to be a meth lab growing in one room or half dead cats walking around that should have been put down months ago, or the rug/seat soaked urine (not the animals) thru out the house but still expect me to get on my knees and run perfect cable runs. LOLz 60's... makes me laugh - try doing this work TODAY! I'm sure you made much more money, were treated a ton better by both company and customers and didn't have to depend on someone pressing 0 for every question on a survey most don't understand to get paid decent let alone well.

I hate to say it dvrexpander, but in your last post, you have some valid points. However, I want to caution you in that way of thinking. If you came to my house, it looks like we are half a hoarder house. By that I mean, we have stuff piled on all the horizontal surfaces. The house is run down, because my spouse bought a POS, and he hardly ever wants to do any maintenance to keep it up. The house is clean however. I try as hard as I can to keep it clean. It looks like crap and like a tornado hit it, but it is clean. The problem for me is that I am a disabled female veteran. I spend most of my time inside this house and I am limited in what I can physically do, but I do my best. So, if you were to come in here and judge that I was not worthy of a decent install just because my house appears to be a rat trap, it would really suck. Anyone who comes in to do something needs to do the best job they can for me, because if they don't the probability is high that they will actually make my life more difficult than it already was. Poor workmanship means I will have to exert more effort at some point to get something to work or to get something done. Since I cannot rely on my spouse to fix anything, that leaves me. While I am more technically inclined and far less lazy than he is, I just cannot bend down, lift things over 5 lbs or crawl under or into things anymore. So, if I was an installer for DIsH, while I also would not crawl in feces, urine-soaked anything, or try to burrow past a true hoarder's crap to install or fix something....please remember there are those of us who are somewhat challenged in our daily living. If you just tell me to hold a flashlight, move something if I can, or ask me to stand by in case you need questions answered....I am happy to do so. And, I will hope for a clean, professional install from you in return.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The standard now is the customer complains about bad service and the installer complains about bad customers. Wonderful business model, no wonder the economy is in the dumps.

The 60s were a much different (and better in some ways) time. I bet AT&T doesn't say that now. With the way Dish treats installers I can't say that I blame them for trying to take shortcuts. All Dish cares about is the bottom line, not that every house is wired as if it were the installer's own home. This is evident in other areas, too. Just look at the buggy receiver software, or call their 333-DISH line for "customer service." Unfortunately, this is standard practice for most big companies these days.

So that's why I prewired my house and stood over each installer to make sure no shortcuts were taken. While I understand that they are under pressure, I still made them do things right if they tried to take shortcuts. I think it's very reasonable. Since I prewired I already saved them a lot of time. Every installer/tech I had was very happy to see that, and even more happy that I already had everything planned out. They would even stick around for a chat afterward. Sometimes it seemed like they didn't want to leave but had to, lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Unfortunately if Dish put the money into customer service and installers to improve things to the way we'd like it would probably take the cost of the service beyond what a lot of people would want to pay.

Over the years I've only had one truly bad installer here. But Dish fixed that when I complained. When I upgraded to Hopper I did a lot of research here and was able to have my house prewired and practically plug and play ready. The installer came from over an hour away and had two more jobs after mine that were further still from his home. When he got out of his truck he was in a bad mood and was complain game 2H/3J install was going to take him 5 hours and he still had two big jobs. When I started telling him what I wanted and he realized I spoke satellite and had prewired, his attitude took a 180 and we were friends. He was out in 2 hours with lunch and a tip and a second tip to check out Satellite Guys. He really was a good guy and did good work but what he was being asked to do by Dish was stressing him out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I hate to say it dvrexpander, but in your last post, you have some valid points. However, I want to caution you in that way of thinking. If you came to my house, it looks like we are half a hoarder house. By that I mean, we have stuff piled on all the horizontal surfaces. The house is run down, because my spouse bought a POS, and he hardly ever wants to do any maintenance to keep it up. The house is clean however. I try as hard as I can to keep it clean. It looks like crap and like a tornado hit it, but it is clean. The problem for me is that I am a disabled female veteran. I spend most of my time inside this house and I am limited in what I can physically do, but I do my best. So, if you were to come in here and judge that I was not worthy of a decent install just because my house appears to be a rat trap, it would really suck. Anyone who comes in to do something needs to do the best job they can for me, because if they don't the probability is high that they will actually make my life more difficult than it already was. Poor workmanship means I will have to exert more effort at some point to get something to work or to get something done. Since I cannot rely on my spouse to fix anything, that leaves me. While I am more technically inclined and far less lazy than he is, I just cannot bend down, lift things over 5 lbs or crawl under or into things anymore. So, if I was an installer for DIsH, while I also would not crawl in feces, urine-soaked anything, or try to burrow past a true hoarder's crap to install or fix something....please remember there are those of us who are somewhat challenged in our daily living. If you just tell me to hold a flashlight, move something if I can, or ask me to stand by in case you need questions answered....I am happy to do so. And, I will hope for a clean, professional install from you in return.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Here is the thing, the same people that demand everything from Dish as in want the service right NOW and want it FREE just don't understand that a tech in this field doesn't get paid very well at all for the professional work they can do. Now don't get me wrong, I do good work and its quality work that won't break down or cause problems down the road outside of my control which is normally someone getting the channel off input wrong, dropping remote putting batts in backwards or whatever. Remember if a customer calls in cause of one of these stupid issues out side of the scope of a good professional install in 12days or less that is a TC12 and the Tech is now hit right smack in the pocket for not just that job for all others in the near future which can and do often drop them into a lower pay scale. This is just something out of our control same goes for you getting a survey from Dish about the visit and while the visit may have been super professional and all the work done great you hit the wrong button of say a 1 instead of a 0 which means 10 then that drops the tech down even more. You just have no idea, NO IDEA what this work involves day in and day out so not every job is going to be perfect. I hunt down existing cables and use what is there on site if and when I can to avoid wasting more and just to save some time. My drip loops or service loops may not be perfectly round 6 inches by spec or code but they are there and do the trick. I may not run cable perfectly straight but its not super sagging down a wall and is safe to be around. These are the types of things for most techs on normal days when they are slammed with several jobs that Dish thinks they can get done in a decent amount of time which is hard to do.

I understand there are people that are challenged and have issues beyond their control, do keep in mind we do the best we can with what we have and go on to the next job and just cross our fingers you don't press the wrong buttons on a survey or call in for something stupid a few days after we leave. If the home is just too bad no matter what issues they are having or problems as in a safety hazard from breathing in something foul or unstable walls,floors or large items not excluding small/large dogs that customers refuse to put up out of the way then I'll by pass those jobs in a heartbeat and have even called social services to these homes or law enforcement when it involves kids. TV is just not worth it when you need to have it before taking that money and fixing things, cleaning things or paying someone to clean or keep the home clean and safe...just amazes me at how much people value TV over their health.

So I leave you with this thought, imagin doing this line of work with all the pit falls and issues with pay or other problems that arise. If you still don't know how bad it is then check out the installer zone section here and read thru the old threads about all the installers and their issues.