Joey Works Without Coax Cable?

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I will be replying to everyone sometime over the weekend with more details.

The could be an exciting opportunity for many of you guys. :)

We still have a few slots open as well.

Thanks guys.

I'm getting my Hopper/Joeys installed tomorrow. I have no issue running a Joey off a wireles bridge or hard wired ethernet for testing purposes. Let me know which one you need. I have CAT5/Coax at each Joey location and have a couple spare bridges at work I will bring home.

I will be having 1h/2j installed on Thursday. I can help with testing either via wireless or wired or coax. I have both usb wireless adapters and ethernet to wireless adapters I could test with.

I have a two hopper three joey setup. Also have an RV with vip622 and Wineguard Traveler dish now on a separate account. Decided to try a joey in the RV since the RV account is in inactive mode.
I have a wireless net work that covers all areas of my home, the RV is parked about 50 feet as the crow flies from the router. I moved one of my joeys to the RV and installed a WiFi USB adapter supplied by dish and HDMI connection to the Toshiba 32" flat screen. Works perfectly after the HDMI cable that was supplied with the joey which turned out to be defective was replaced. We use the RV as a spare bedroom and can now provide full TV service without activating the dormant RV account.

Ok folks we have enough participants now thank you! (If you PM'ed me and haven't received a reply back yet its ok I will be sending out the last batch of messages in a little while.)

Thanks everyone! :D

Does anyone have any knowledge about whether or not a joey could get an initial software download upon activation either with a direct ethernet connection off a home network or with a ethernet jumper direct from the hopper? Or a wifi adapter even? I have a 1h 3j setup and I've been playing around with it. 1 Joey currently connected with direct ethernet, and had 2 working with wifi adapters. Also tried 1 temporarily with an ethernet jumper from the hopper, and that works as well. Hopper is connected via HIC.

Also curious about a double sling link application if someone wanted a tv in a detached garage on a temporary basis and couldn't get coax/ethernet out there easily.

Does anyone have any knowledge about whether or not a joey could get an initial software download upon activation either with a direct ethernet connection off a home network or with a ethernet jumper direct from the hopper? Or a wifi adapter even? I have a 1h 3j setup and I've been playing around with it. 1 Joey currently connected with direct ethernet, and had 2 working with wifi adapters. Also tried 1 temporarily with an ethernet jumper from the hopper, and that works as well. Hopper is connected via HIC.

Also curious about a double sling link application if someone wanted a tv in a detached garage on a temporary basis and couldn't get coax/ethernet out there easily.

Not sure about the initial software load and activation. I don't think anyone has posted trying it. My gut says the out of the box firmware may be a bit too primitive to support it.

Normal software updates work just fine, so worst case is activate on coax and move where you want afterwards.

Sling should be OK in the garage situation, or a wireless Joey.

satnewb said:

Not sure about the initial but I have a Joey on WiFi without coax and it gets all the latest software updates via WiFi...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts