joey's glitch

I found out something VERY interesting last night.

I had an OTA timer set to fire at 11 PM and I was watching Ice Station Zebra on TCM on the Hopper 3 in my room. About 2 minutes after 11 both roommates came to my room, "TV's out again!" Well I had some other recordings going at the time and I really didn't want to interrupt them so I went into the living room and fired up the Joey there to check and indeed there was the usual tiling and stuttering making it unwatchable and requiring an H3 reset. I was about to hit the reset button on the H3 but for some reason went to the timer screen instead and was looking at the schedule. Hmmm... one 11 PM OTA recording, other satellite channel timers for movies started at 10 PM. I tuned in to the OTA channel that was recording and everything looked fine but for science I decided to stop the recording. Almost immediately afterward I hear yelling from across the house, "It's back!"

Now why would an OTA recording trigger my Joeys to malfunction?

And tcpuccio1 do you have an OTA adapter on your Hopper 3?

I have this issue also. It has to do with the ota adapter. Just change to an ota channel on a malfunctioning joey for 5-10 seconds then going back to the satellite channel will fix the issue. I finally have everyone in my house trained to do that so that has calmed some of the complaining.

Reactions: TheKrell
I found out something VERY interesting last night.

I had an OTA timer set to fire at 11 PM and I was watching Ice Station Zebra on TCM on the Hopper 3 in my room. About 2 minutes after 11 both roommates came to my room, "TV's out again!" Well I had some other recordings going at the time and I really didn't want to interrupt them so I went into the living room and fired up the Joey there to check and indeed there was the usual tiling and stuttering making it unwatchable and requiring an H3 reset. I was about to hit the reset button on the H3 but for some reason went to the timer screen instead and was looking at the schedule. Hmmm... one 11 PM OTA recording, other satellite channel timers for movies started at 10 PM. I tuned in to the OTA channel that was recording and everything looked fine but for science I decided to stop the recording. Almost immediately afterward I hear yelling from across the house, "It's back!"

Now why would an OTA recording trigger my Joeys to malfunction?

And tcpuccio1 do you have an OTA adapter on your Hopper 3?

I wish I had been reading this thread sooner I don't have a Hopper so don't always look. Actually there is a history for OTA to have an effect on the receiver. Many years ago it was determined on some VIP receivers unplugging the OTA tuner fixed problems. The receivers like my 612 that have built in tuners did not have the problem.

Another time leaving the receiver on an OTA channel especially if it loses the signal sometimes made even Sat channels not work correctly. In fact you had to go to two Sat channels without going to an OTA channel to clear everything out to work right. This was many years ago.
I obviously do not know if what you found is the problem for everyone and I have no way to test it, because I have no way to have that problem, I still have VIP receivers....

If it is and ota problem it still may be a software problem not an OTA or recevier hardware problem.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have this issue also. It has to do with the ota adapter. Just change to an ota channel on a malfunctioning joey for 5-10 seconds then going back to the satellite channel will fix the issue. I finally have everyone in my house trained to do that so that has calmed some of the complaining.
Interesting... I'll have to give this a try

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)