Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team with your PS3!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The Folding@home for the PS3 the graphics are amazing compared to the ones on the PC.
great job Folding@home crew for making the PS3 version look really nice!

Our team rank just moved up to 160!, lets make it to the top 100 guys :) We need more people to join us :)

i think we finally made 100th?

Being using this on PS3 for a couple days, Awesome!

I knew about this program when it first came out but refuse to use my primary PC for this (Laptop), who cares if the PS3 stop working, right?

I finally added my PS3. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get it crunching especially since I am big into BOINC crunching.

BTW, Satellite Guys team is 105 out of 215073

I just started folding on a spare i5 quad core spare computer at work. One of our employees retired so it's free for now. I planned to start running it on my PS3 at home too only to find out you can't anymore. Does anyone know why they shut it down for PS3?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using tapatalk 2

I just started folding on a spare i5 quad core spare computer at work. One of our employees retired so it's free for now. I planned to start running it on my PS3 at home too only to find out you can't anymore. Does anyone know why they shut it down for PS3?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using tapatalk 2
No official reason as given, or at least none that made a lot of sense. What I read was something like that Sony and Stamford decided to mutually end it. The "explanation" is

More than 15 million PS3® users has participated in the program in total and more than 100 million computation hours have been donated to the Folding@Home project to date. As a result of discussions with Stanford University, SCEI decided the termination considering that the PS3® system has made a significant contribution to the project.

So, I'm reading that as "We're cancelling the program because it has been so successful." :confused:

I used to fold quite a bit but then I was worried that my PS3 might not be able to handle it as I was starting to see judder and weird performance in my games, and I was trying to cut down on my electrical bill.

Well, the PS3 part is long dead. But isn't the folding@home project itself still continuing?

I wonder what percent of the work was done by, or percent of participant used, PS3s.

Well, the PS3 part is long dead. But isn't the folding@home project itself still continuing?

I wonder what percent of the work was done by, or percent of participant used, PS3s.
Yes but that is covered in this thread.. which for some reason isn't visible anymore. It used to be a sticky, but I had to search for it.

Using crowd sourced computing power to solve complex problems was a cool idea. I was happy to contribute for a while but I haven't been participating for a few months. I wonder if anything useful ever came from the thousands of people contributing to this project.

Using crowd sourced computing power to solve complex problems was a cool idea. I was happy to contribute for a while but I haven't been participating for a few months. I wonder if anything useful ever came from the thousands of people contributing to this project.

Apparently the general consensus is "Yes" in that it helped break down and analyze a real sh*t load of data that would have been really hard given technology limitations in the past. It looks like you can't go and say something like "We cured 'X' because of Folding@Home," but it has led to a number of discoveries and has been cited in numerous journals.

http://www.quora.com/Has-Stanfords-Folding-Home-project-been-a-success-or-failure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)