Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I've not sure how many of us are affected by the nVIDIA GPU2 server hangup this weekend, but my 9800 GTX+ has been spinning my wheels since Sunday. The one WU I was able to get today can't be uploaded because the server has no record of it. :(

In "every cloud has a silver lining" news, Estonia seems to be adversely affected to the point where we gained an extra week or so before they pass us.

Last edited:
I've not sure how many of us are affected by the nVIDIA GPU2 server hangup this weekend, but my 9800 GTX+ has been spinning my wheels since Sunday. The one WU I was able to get today can't be uploaded because the server has no record of it. :(

In "every cloud has a silver lining" news, Estonia seems to be adversely affected to the point where we gained an extra week or so before they pass us.
Two of my GPU clients were also waiting for new work all weekend.:( I was able to get WU's loaded yesterday morning. It looks like they worked all night.

Thought it was my computer, tried rebooting and a full 5 min shutdown this weekend to get the N'vidia GPU going again... glad to hear it's something on the other side of the matrix.

If you go and look at individuals' daily production, you can easily tell who has nVIDIA Folders and who doesn't. Take a look at mine, or SatinKzo's, then look at NHRA328z's graph.

That why I labeled this the St. Valentine's Day Points Massacre over on the Folding Forum... ;)

If you go and look at individuals' daily production, you can easily tell who has nVIDIA Folders and who doesn't. Take a look at mine, or SatinKzo's, then look at NHRA328z's graph.

That why I labeled this the St. Valentine's Day Points Massacre over on the Folding Forum... ;)

I like nhra3228z's graph! :) I didn't realize the nvidia thing until yesterday as my 3 nividia cards are on a downstairs PC that I didn't look at all weekend. Came in to work on Monday and some of my SMP's had crapped out and gone to sleep so I took the opportunity to get the A3 core going on them.

I wondered why everyone had troubles this weekend and I didn't. Guess it's good to have a Chevy around all you Fords...lol ;)

Thanks! I knew it was coming up but hadn't paid attention to it lately.
Way to go, Cegarrett! Who said Smokin' Cegarretts is bad for your health? ;) It's certainly good for the SatelliteGuys Folding Team!

Anyone know how to improve Gigabit network performance while running SMP folding? I'm setting up a new server, and if I have folding running, the gigabit network goes to hell. If I run with -smp 3 (using just 3 of the 4 cores), the network is fine.

This is on an Ubuntu 9.10 machine. Latest updates and drivers. I have tried both the integrated Intel Gigabit card, and a PCI realtek gigabit card. Both with the same results, about 100 Mbps while folding, and about 400 Mbps while folding 3 cores.

I'm using Samba to transfer. Is Samba (or the network driver) a lower priority than the folding process?

Any ideas? If not, I'll have to slow down my folding on my file server. :(

-John

Since the SMP client uses the TCP/IP stack for inter-process communications, normal TCP/IP operations are bound to suffer. If this a personal server, well, that's for you to decide. Me, I'd go for the extra Folding power. I don't need to transfer that much data across my LAN, so it isn't an issue.

If it is a server at work, it's up to the company to determine if they can live with the drop in file server performance. I know our corporate IT takes a dim view on anything running on company hardware that isn't on our authorized software list.

Good answer Foxbat.

Jg, can you give us an example of the performance hit that occurs when folding on all 4 cores? Just a simple large file transfer time (we'll just have to assume all else being equal) with and without the 4th core engaged.

On a sad note...
I've been getting EUE's on 2 of my GPU's all weekend. Just finally removed everything and started over this morning.

Last edited: