Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Not liking the direction that this graph is heading. :(
production_day.php
Yowie! That's not going in the right direction.

Hopefully this is more representative of what is happening

production_week.php

A boom, and then settling back down some. Hopefully the glass is half full ;)

I guess living in the northwest I don't see the heat issue some of you do - just ran the AC for the first time this year yesterday. What makes me cringe a little is the cost to keep the rig running flat out 24/7, it's within a couple of bucks per month of what it costs to keep Mrs EMV's car running.

So, many of you know that the 1070 goes on sale next Friday. I plan on buying one once EVGA is able to get some of their factory overclocked models in stock. That means selling off my 970s. I've already sold one to a friend and I was planning to make a local listing on Craig's List in a couple weeks to move the other one. Before I do that I thought I would see if there was any interest here.

It is an EVGA SC ACX 2.0 970. I would like to get $200 for it. If anyone here has any interest shoot me a PM. The reason I'm not posting this in the classified section is that I would prefer to wait a couple weeks before completing the transaction if possible. If that is a deal breaker we can work something out.

Would love to get you back in the fold and, having a pair of 970's, see what a 1070 can do.

Reactions: king3pj
So, many of you know that the 1070 goes on sale next Friday. I plan on buying one once EVGA is able to get some of their factory overclocked models in stock. That means selling off my 970s. I've already sold one to a friend and I was planning to make a local listing on Craig's List in a couple weeks to move the other one. Before I do that I thought I would see if there was any interest here.

It is an EVGA SC ACX 2.0 970. I would like to get $200 for it. If anyone here has any interest shoot me a PM. The reason I'm not posting this in the classified section is that I would prefer to wait a couple weeks before completing the transaction if possible. If that is a deal breaker we can work something out.

I ended up selling this for $250 through Amazon so I'm not looking for a buyer anymore.

Reactions: Foxbat
The new server at work I was "burning in" finished its tests and now has its real OS and application software loaded. It was only a 4-core w/HT Xeon, but it ran at 3.6 GHz. So that dropped us down about 20-25K/day.

I also see over on the Folding Forum that the first GTX 1080 results are coming in. The "huge improvements" are slim at best, perhaps due to the current NVIDIA drivers not being optimized for the Pascal GP104 chip. Those who are Folding report between 700K - just over 1,000K PPD depending on Project.

Hopefully the prices on the 980 Ti cards drop by $100-200 to make room for the new 1080 cards coming out since their prices from real dealers (not gougers) seem to be almost identical at the moment.

Almost done with the new folding machine which will replace my main machine (the old machine will also keep folding and that is all it will do).

Just waiting for the CPU and Video card which should be here tomorrow night. Everything else has been setup to go. This computer is going to be a screamer as I am using a Samsung Pro M.2 SSD for my hard drive.

I do plan on ordering a 1070 video card in the future.

0cdb9e0fc9de61743f6ca84371649c7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Yes the case is a Corsair - The Carbide Series (Spec-02)

This thing has AMAZING cable management all the cables are running under the motherboard then up and in. It also has a clear side so you can see the color changing motherboard. (A GIGABYTE Z170X- Gaming 7)

All the sound stuff on it is Gold Plated, which is too bad since I will never use those ports. :D

Only 16 GB of ram on it, but may bump it to 32 in the future.

I am going to add one more fan (it has 2 already plus the power supply fan) to the top, just need to figure out if its going to suck air in or blow it out... they don't really tell you in any of the manuals. Also will be using a Liquid CPU cooler which the radiator will be attached to the rear fan.

I have fans in the front drawing in air and exhausting out the back fans.
I have my radiator for the CPU water cooler on top.
Yeah, I love the clear side panel.

I am going to add one more fan (it has 2 already plus the power supply fan) to the top, just need to figure out if its going to suck air in or blow it out... they don't really tell you in any of the manuals. Also will be using a Liquid CPU cooler which the radiator will be attached to the rear fan.

I have fans in the front drawing in air and exhausting out the back fans.
I have my radiator for the CPU water cooler on top.
Yeah, I love the clear side panel.

The main thing with fan setup is positive airflow with air coming in from one direction and out the other. You don't want it just bouncing around in there.

The way I have always done my builds is the front and bottom case fans are intakes and the top and back are exhausts. It makes sense to do it that way since the warm air will rise to the top naturally.

Cable management is also big for airflow. You don't want a rats nest of cables blocking your fans. It looks like you already have that well under control though. You have a very clean looking setup.

Yeah except for the wiring to the video card to power it, what you see is done as far as wire management goes.

I will need to figure where to put the Water Cooler Radiator. On top (there is space for 2 120mm fans up there, or attach it to the one on the back.

If I attach it to the top I will have the fan blowing out, sucking out the heat from the radiator.

Can't wait to get the CPU and Video Card tomorrow night. :D

Almost done with the new folding machine which will replace my main machine (the old machine will also keep folding and that is all it will do).

Just waiting for the CPU and Video card which should be here tomorrow night. Everything else has been setup to go. This computer is going to be a screamer as I am using a Samsung Pro M.2 SSD for my hard drive.

I do plan on ordering a 1070 video card in the future.

0cdb9e0fc9de61743f6ca84371649c7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app
So when does this bad boy get fired up? :biggrin

Reactions: Foxbat and KE4EST
Today. Was having trouble loading Windows 7 on it (turns out there is a big in Windows 7 with some chipsets which won't let you load Windows 7 from a USB device (I was using a USB DVD Drive) then the SSD Drive I got I couldnt load Windows 7 directly on it so had to install Windows 7 on a regular drive then run a special migration program to copy everything over to the SSD drive.. then remove the regular hard drive. Now this thing flies.

Overclocked it from 3.5 GHZ to 4.5 GHZ. haven't overclocked the video card yet. Will save that for later.

Installing Foldng@home now. :)

Disappearance - 103 W AMC1/Spaceway 1/DirecTV 10/DirecTV 12

Software Update Coming