Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I just figured out how to do multiple's on my new box (2x Xeon 5120, 4 cores). I now have 3 cores running F@H on it.
also added a 2nd F@H on the Dual Xeon (HT) box, since 2 eats the physical cores, and the HT stuff doesn't work as well.

That makes 7 processors chewing on F@H for me now.

We'll see what that does to my ranking.

That should help :)

How does one do multiples on one machine?

you run them in separate directories with different machine id's designated in the config. I'm doing this on FreeBSD, so I also had to rename the executables so the startup at boot scripts don't get confused.

Breakthrough! We're now in the top 600! (Stanford shows us as 599 out of 67,777).

Folding 500, here we come!

Uh oh, LER is putting pressure on me. I better bump up my recruitment campaign for my little Folding Platoon (not an army YET!)

you run them in separate directories with different machine id's designated in the config. I'm doing this on FreeBSD, so I also had to rename the executables so the startup at boot scripts don't get confused.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably not mess with it. Seems to be over my head.:)

Nothing, competition is good for the team. I'm working on catching Foxbat, but I'm am only outpacing by like 200pts a day on avg. so it's gonna take a while

I know it'll be hard, but I am gaining on him slowly! :) Nothing like a little competition like LER said! Now if I can just get time to configure my new recruits I'll have 16 clients running. Darn real work keep getting in the way.

I have some serious issues lately with WU's not uploading. Right now I have 12 WU's that are sitting in queue on my machines. All this started on the 18th of May. It's happening at work and at home.

I never trust Kakao stats though, but I saw the 53 days from Sam. I swear that thing only uses like the last 2 days to forcast time forward.

But I did get 2 more clients running today. :)

Well Im pulling it off my machine, Im seeing connection issues with the client and its slowing down other apps and I still cant get the signature to work so I will go back to using boinc.

I see Scott took time off from his DirecTV install and has the News on the front page about our Team reaching the 1,000,000 mark.

Glad to see you're on-board now, Van. Like SatinKzo implied, PCs work best when they're threatened. Of course, the corollary to that is also true: PCs die just before you can install the new system that replaces it. And about that missing WU; remember, Scott got credit for it.

I like the competition of people trying to catch up. More science being done! But really, in terms of WUs completed, SatinKzo and his Folding Platoon has completed over 300 Work Units. I'm 10th based on those terms. My Mac gets done with one WU every 16 hours on average, and the HP finishes one every three days or so. Unless I get my own Folding Army, I don't see that changing.

One thing I worry about is people getting tired of Folding. You can see it in those teams that started after us, moved past us Folding at 30-70K ppd, and now we've passed them again as their membership dropped out. Check out PS Forum EU, who we're predicted to pass in a month, and look how their production peaked in late April/Early May, and now is about 80% of that rate. Other teams have folded (sorry:D) even worse; Insomniac Games dropped to almost 60%, PS3 - Clan Nexus by half (see graph).

I hope SatelliteGuys.US is one of those teams in it for the long haul. I can't wait for us to break 10,000,000 points!

Attachments

• production_day.php.png
    production_day.php.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Looks that way, the wu complete is wrong though, it should be 2.

Yeah, the stats in the sig are generally about 4 hours behind in my experience. My stats are wrong too. It seems that even Kakao is off when it updates a bit. It just updated and still does not match what F@H page shows.

I too hope that our members do not get tired of contributing. I know lots of us have PS3's and I hope more of our members can run the client on behalf of Satguys. I know in the past I had a heck of a time with the clients but now after joing the team a little over a month ago, I can honestly say that on all the machines that I have installed it on, only 1 had an issue and the issue was only with the graphical client. I just switched to the console client and all was fine.

Most of my machines are machines I have at work that at times can do very little folding work and others are servers I resurrected just to add to the team. Heck I have clients running on anything from PII 450's (1 WU about every 7 days) to my home system Athlon 64 X2 5400 with a x1950 card (GPU client and console client).

It's really not about points or ranking, but that does add a bit to the fun and somewhat boring nature of our end of the project. It's nice to see where our work ranks and where we stand among others. In the end, it is nice to know that maybe someday our work will better someone's life, maybe our own. :)

Last edited:

Disappearance - 103 W AMC1/Spaceway 1/DirecTV 10/DirecTV 12

Software Update Coming