Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I have an imac with os 9 that I would like to put FAH on but I cant update really any of the software for the internet talk about a pain.

I wonder what Sam Pattersons' rig is that he's producing that many points? He's kicking some major ass. Good job

He posted what he has a while back. I can't find it now though. Some very nice stuff, but it seems he goes in spurts and major points since if I remember some of it is home theater media center PC's or something.
Edit:
Now I see Sam is out 76 days on overtaking me (latest projections) and somewhere in last Sept or a bit later, EOC has Foxbat, Sam and Myself on a collision course.

Last edited:
I want to run this on my new work PC.

Does it constantly hit the network? If it does I won't be able to run this at work, as they are keeping a constant watch on bandwidth.

Also, I have a dual core Pentium-D. Can I get it to run on just the second core? How do I set this up?

It only hits the network on upload and download of WU, so a couple times every couple days or so. Shouldn't be too much an issue.

As for dual core system, you have to change you client.cfg file and make sure each client is running in it's own directory.

For the console version in windows I made two directories and copied the console exe to each one, then use this command line from within each directory
fah504-console.exe -local -config
Local option tells it to use local directory for info and work. I recommend saying YES to the service option for the console.

When you have it up and running and a WU downloaded, go into each directory and edit the client.cfg file in notepad
There should be an entry that says machineid=x. X=1 or 2 on dual core systems. 1 being for core 1 and 2 being for core 2.

Can I make the single instance of the client use just core 2? I don't use core 2 while at work, so it can chug away while I'm working. :)

I changed the machine ID to = 2. Will that do it?

Oh yeah, that should work, I misread your post. You'll have to stop and restart the client to get it to run on core 2 unless you reboot or something.

After you restart the client, check Task Manager and see where the process is running at.

Here's probably a dumb question.

At the end of the day I usually reboot my work PC. Does it have to be logged in for the client to run?

I have some serious issues lately with WU's not uploading. Right now I have 12 WU's that are sitting in queue on my machines. All this started on the 18th of May. It's happening at work and at home.

Same here. I have one PC at work that hasn't uploaded probably just as long. However, the other PC at work and my iMac at home are both working fine.

:cool:

I built a machine for my parents for Father's Day, and I wanted it to burn in for a couple of days before I took it too them, so I thought, why not put Folding@home on it. That is a good burnin test for memory, and other system resources. Got a nice little boost in my scores from it also!

I was starting to wonder where this increase came from out of you. Can you leave the client installed on their system? I added 4 more clients/cores to the platoon today. I think I have recruited all I can for a while *sigh*

And one of my clients hung on completion (again). Nothing like making it easier for you guys... :)
sampatterson said:
I built a machine for my parents for Father's Day, and I wanted it to burn in for a couple of days before I took it too them, so I thought, why not put Folding@home on it. That is a good burnin test for memory, and other system resources. Got a nice little boost in my scores from it also!
I knew I should have installed FaH on my in-Laws' Macs last weekend. But I was going to let them get credit for the WUs, not me (seems only fair...) I don't know that they would be inclined to leave their machines on 24x7 to Fold, though, so it's best that people Fold who are dedicated to Folding.

Last edited:
Uninstalled the GUI version and installed the console version to run as a service, on my work PC.

I've did set it to machine ID 2 so that it runs on core 2. I look in Task Manager and CPU usage shows 50%. Is there a way to see if it really is using the second core and not my primary one?

I see the CPU graphs for both core 1 and 2, but since I use Outlook and our ticketing system at the same time, I'm not sure if it's doing it right.

Also, is there a way to tell my progress with the console?

50% utilization is normal on a dual core. At least it is for me and that's how I understand it. It's using 100% of 1 of the 2 cores. I have a server with 4 cores (dual xeons) and 4 clients. In task manager, each process shows up at 25%

As for checking progress on the console, there are many apps and such, but I find it easiest just to put a shortcut to unitinfo.txt and fahlog.txt on my desktop.

Checking to see if it is using the 2nd core? hmm, I guess I would watch task manager and start up program that is not multiprocessor enabled. maybe a cd/dvd burning program and see what happens to the CPU time on the F@H client. I don't really have a scientific way off the top of my head, but maybe someone else does.

Foxbat: I had 2 clients hang last night at work. Right around 8pm and 9pm. Client dumped the work and started over. It looks like one of my lost WU's finally uploaded last night, Down to 11 of them stuck in the queues.

Foxbat: I had 2 clients hang last night at work. Right around 8pm and 9pm.
Must be something in the air...
It looks like one of my lost WU's finally uploaded last night, Down to 11 of them stuck in the queues.
Good to hear the servers are starting to unclog at Stanford. That seems to be all anyone posts about on their Forum: "Where's my WU?" & "Why won't Server a.b.c.d Accept my Results?"

Neutron, I don't know if there is a way to specify a Processor affinity under Windows. I know how to do it in OpenVMS, but that's not very helpful with your question...:rolleyes: For what it's worth, I have twoo instances of the FAH console running as services on the HP notebook I lug back and forth to work, set to run at idle. I have not noticed any slow response in my day-to-day applications (like Outlook 2003) that I can attribute to FAH. Good Folding!

It really is a concern that the clients arent able to connect with the servers, mine has been trying to send results for the last few days and finally did it sometime during the night.

As I had stated before I would like to put it on my daughters imac but without osx 10 or newer I wont be able to, does anyone have a legit copy of OS x 10 that they would be willing to part with?

I might be able to add a few machines to my name though it will take some careful selection of words to get the people to install the clients.

The client hits the net each time you reboot / start the computer, it will also hit the net repeatedly if it is trying to send results or upload a completed work unit.

I wouldn't install it on a slow CPU. If the machine is just gonna be folding then yeah, go ahead but if you're gonna use during the day I wouldn't install it on a slow processor.

Disappearance - 103 W AMC1/Spaceway 1/DirecTV 10/DirecTV 12

Software Update Coming