Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Well, We can thank Amazon for a donation to the SatGuys team! :D

I had decided to pick up inexpensive card for the spare slot in my main box, and settled in on an open-box Amazon Warehouse deal on a Gigabyte 1050 Ti...which set off an interesting comedy of errors on Amazon's part. I had ordered it in time to receive it to play during the long weekend. With Prime 2-day shipping, it was supposed to arrive last Friday. On Friday, USPS came and went, no delivery, so I got on support chat with Amazon. I was polite, but wondered what happened and when I might get it. Looking online, Amazon tracking and USPS tracking showed it in two different places. Lady on Chat said it appeared to be caught up in some warehouse and never actually left, so she said she would issue a refund, allow me to order another one, gave me an add'l courtesy credit, and free overnight shipping upgrade so I'd have it on Saturday. Went online, and realized the price had dropped on a NEW 1050 Ti (vs. the open-box I'd originally ordered). With the courtesy credit it was actually cheaper, so I ordered a NEW one, then the CSR confirmed the Overnight/Saturday delivery and I moved on. On Saturday, UPS dropped off a package. I opened it, and guess what, it was the open-box ORIGINAL order (they one they said had never actually shipped)...and the one they SAID was overnighted, never showed. Tracking showed that one still on the way, but now for Sunday delivery. Sure enough...on Sunday, the NEW one arrived. SO...end result, I ended up with TWO 1050 Ti cards. If nothing else, I'll use both until Amazon decides they want one back, or tries to charge me for the second, if ever.

For kicks, I put one in my primary box (Custom-build i7-3820/16GB RAM/Win10) and the other in my older Dell XPS box (Core 2 6600/6GB RAM/Win7) and let them run for 24 hours or so. Both on same driver, 378.92, it set off at basically the same production in both boxes @ ~170 PPD. Since the 1050 Ti only needed one 6-pin connector, plus no apparent loss in PPD, I ended up re-arranging and placing BOTH the 1050 Ti cards in the Dell box, and returned my old original 670 to my primary box alongside the 1080.

All total, I think I'll join that Million PPD club now! This has been fun...hadn't had a good reason to play with hardware in a while. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat and KE4EST
Looks who's leading the pack! Seems the GTX 1080 was the way to go!
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 22.30.03.png

Reactions: DWS44
I don't know if that will stay that high, but its been interesting seeing it go the last couple weeks! That last driver update to 378.92 really seemed to wake up the 1080 and the old 670 as well. On 373.06, the 1080 seemed to hover in the 750-800K PPD range, but on the newer driver, its saying at/over 900K. That, and the old 670 which had been 80-85K since I started, is hovering around 100K all the sudden.

Reactions: Foxbat
Mine took a bit of a dive this week. My router had a fit last Monday, and decided it and one of my two machines weren't going to talk anymore...and it was the day I had to leave town for the week so no time to argue with it. Finally got it fixed late yesterday. :rolleyes:

Well, it looks like we have a little over half a year before we need to worry about losing positions. 3 Weeks to our next overtake, then another two 3 months afterward.

Scorpion.sting has taken breaks before, so I'm sure that once the weather gets back to normal, we'll see Scorpy in the Points again!

Reactions: KE4EST
end result, I ended up with TWO 1050 Ti cards. If nothing else, I'll use both until Amazon decides they want one back, or tries to charge me for the second, if ever.

I ended up in almost the exact same situation a few years ago with my GTX 970. I called Amazon support about a promo for 2 free games that was added just a few days after I bought my 970. I wasn't expecting them to give it to me but I thought it was worth a try.

It was clear that the person I was talking to had no clue what a GPU was and kept apologizing for my broken item and asking me to send it back. I explained that it wasn't broken and it was already installed in my PC so I didn't want to send it back. I just wanted to know if they would extend the two free games promo to me since I bought my 970 just before it started.

After lots of me trying to explain everything the CSR said he had to put in another order to generate the game codes but they wouldn't actually be shipping it. He refunded my original purchase price and put in an order for the same card again and assured me it wouldn't actually be shipped.

I guess you know where this is going but it was definitely shipped. Also the price had dropped about $20 since I made my original order. After receiving the package I tried to call Amazon and explain the error. The guy I got on the phone seemed to understand what I was saying but told me there wasn't much I could do. He said I could return the second 970 and they would refund my account for the second purchase but since they already refunded the first 970 order this would mean they would be paying me $20 to buy a 970 and two free games. He couldn't seem to process a return without refunding my money.

In the end, Amazon support basically gave me $20 cash, a free GTX 970 that costs $330, and two games that cost $60 each. This is my long winded way of saying I wouldn't expect them to ever ask for one of the cards back or try to charge you for it. Just enjoy it.