Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse'

Quite frankly I find it extremely good programming, but I do not think they would have been able to maintain the pace if they had to do multiple seasons. We are getting all the good stuff from about 3 more seasons packed into the last few episodes.
Yes, very good point. The show is being canceled because it doesn't work as an ongoing production, but apparently it does work (or at least works much better) as a mini-series-type thing. That argues, perhaps, for more focus on mini-series and less insistence on long-running series, but the reality is that mini-series need to have yet-even-greater ratings to justify the relatively higher cost of production (since an asset is essentially wasted, when the sets and production setups are discarded after the too-few hours of the mini-series are completed). We viewers are like the airline passengers who want the first class seating and service for the bargain basement price.

Just watched Friday's two eps. "The Attic" was phenomenal. Production values looked "big bucks". However, the Jekyll and Hyde behavior with Dewitt confused me some. Might have to watch the last three again.

I agree the show has been mutating into something that is getting better and better. I suspect that these story lines were planned from the beginning to be long term arcs, but now they are all being compressed into a short series of episodes. Quite frankly I find it extremely good programming, but I do not think they would have been able to maintain the pace if they had to do multiple seasons. We are getting all the good stuff from about 3 more seasons packed into the last few episodes.

Joss seems to set up all seasons of his shows to be like 22 episode mini-series. If you look at Buffy or Angel, you will see that each season ended with a logical conclusion where Joss cold have walked away and not felt he had left ends hanging. He differs from most show creators in that he doesn't do the end of season cliff hanger.

That said, the seasons themselves are very complex and contain a lot of twists. Dollhouse follows this pattern well, and it keeps you guessing. Nothing is what it seems, and he relies heavily on the mechanism of only giving you half a conversation at first. Personally, I love it and look forward to being surprised each week.

Everything up to now was planned as part of the story flow for the season. Don't know how much he will change in the last episodes because he knows it is the end, but I really look forward to finding out.

I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the conclusion of every other episode we're seeing now was originally planned by Whedon to be the finale of a season or half-season.

I've been really enjoying them too, though a few times was like "Ok, that was right out of the Matrix" ;) I think I remember her saying on Friday's episode "It's 2010, we've been off the air that long?" wondered if that was a next season anticipated episode/joke. Too bad it's been cancelled now that it's getting pretty good, at least we get to see it thru to the end.

-Mike

Despite the rise in quality, last week's ratings were it's lowest yet. Oh, well.

Well, we are well into the final storyline arc. Nothing is as it seems. No concept is safe. Joss is messing with the very foundations he laid down..... and I love it.

I think Joss should stay with TV, but he should market everything as a limited series. He should have the entire story arc written, and then sell it as a package, take it or leave it, because when he is allowed a free hand ... it just works

I wish a cable network like Syfy would pony up the budget for Joss to put together a stellar 13 episode/year seasons of some new show where he has full creative control and can bring back many of the actors he's worked with over the years.

I wish a cable network like Syfy would pony up the budget for Joss to put together a stellar 13 episode/year seasons of some new show where he has full creative control and can bring back many of the actors he's worked with over the years.
They're not a charity. In the end, it all comes back to us. If we were willing to pony up enough money, so that our eyes watching commercials presented during the problem, were enough, "... to put together a stellar 13 episode/year ..."

Having said that, Syfy already does present great programs like this, with sufficient budget so that their production values are good enough.

Heck, there are loads of folks online who love throwing around the word "greed" :rolleyes:, but why not throw that word at Whedon and his staff and his preferred actors, etc., if they're not willing to provide the kind of programming we want at the budget that Syfy allocates for shows like this? :D

Uh, what gives you the impression that Joss isn't willing to work on a tighter budget?

Dr Horrible was done on a shoestring. The reason that his Fox series are higher budget is that the network demands higher production values.

The way I see it, the main problem is Fox and not Joss. Joss goes and produces a concept that Fox jumps on and says it will test well in a target demographic. Then, once production starts, Fox comes back and says "It isn't testing well with 25 year old females. You need to add a love interest" After that happens they come back and say "You need to appeal to kids as well. Add a birthday cake and balloons."

So you end up with an edgy action adventure series with a soap opera subplot and a kids birthday party in each episode!

SciFy won't have that problem, as they have a more focused audience that tends to match Joss' vision.

Uh, what gives you the impression that Joss isn't willing to work on a tighter budget?
Because otherwise Zookster wouldn't have made the point he made. ;)

Seriously, I do think that Joss Whedon won't work as show-runner, long-term, on a show that is being made for Syfy. It'll be interesting to see if it pans out.

Well, as I said earlier, I think Joss would work better with limited series, where he scripts out a certain number of episodes and then closes it down. Even with Buffy, he made each season stand on its own.

The way I see it, Zookster is speculating like the rest of us.

Speculation or not, there is a big difference between investing in a limited run series and investing in something that is supposed to have two to four year pay-back.

Still shows in the guide for next Friday on both my ota Fox for Beaumont and the Houston Fox from DISH too.

Yes, but they announced in two weeks for the promo. Did the same thing on Medium last night as well. I believe all three networks are broadcasting the Haiti thing next Friday.

BTW, was a bit disappointed with last night's episode. I guess they needed to set up for the finale, but I think they could have done a better job of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts