Joss Whedon's Firefly

I am watching the first episode now. I forgot how much I enjoyed this show. It really is good.

The PQ seems good on my 970XBR; sound is good too. (Although the friggin 622 locked when I switched between Firefly and the Broncos game. I am afraid to change the channel again, given how fickle the bloody machine has become since the L3.63 software :mad: )

Thanks for the reminder guys, without which I'd have missed it! I made a point to "clean house" on my 622's drive so I can record all episodes!

Ah, the Joys of the beautiful Morena (Inara) Bacarrin in HD! Only problem I've seen must be with some editing glitches. Two scenes in her shuttle, the first with her "client" while planetside had a strange edit where she looked toward the camera (away from her client), then it jumped back to her ongoing conversation. The other was also in her shuttle, but during her "spongebath scene" where video froze at a couple points (it does the same thing on my DVD... thought it was a layer change).

Loved the scene with Kaylee sensuously sampling the strawberry in HD... nearly sent me to my "bunk" on that one!

Still, it's nice to see every HD glance at the ship and it's crew and with it, I'm noticing details I've never seen before!

Be sure to thank Universal with either your own custom photo or a "wave" at www.bigdamnthankyou.com!

Regards and thanks again for the reminder!

Spence

P.S. For those that missed the early showing, UNI HD is airing it again a couple hours later! Keep flying!

SpenceJT said:
Thanks for the reminder guys, without which I'd have missed it! I made a point to "clean house" on my 622's drive so I can record all episodes!

snip...

Loved the scene with Kaylee sensuously sampling the strawberry in HD... nearly sent me to my "bunk" on that one!

Yeah, that was quite the scene. Sponge bath too! :D

universal2.jpg
Universal HD: Firefly - The Train Job 7:00PM EDT

FIREFLY
Coming back in July
Five hundred years in the future there's a whole new frontier, and the crew of the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity is eager to stake a claim on the action. They'll take any job, legal or illegal, to keep fuel in the tanks and food on the table. But things get a bit more complicated after they take on a passenger wanted by the new totalitarian Alliance regime. Now they find themselves on the run, desperate to steer clear of Alliance ships and the flesh eating Reavers who live on the fringes of space.

universal2.jpg
Universal HD: Firefly - Serenity 7/28 8:00PM EDT

Thanks dfergie! My DVR had filled up and I ended up having to purge all of the episodes a month ago. This time I hope I can hold onto them long enough to archive them to external storage when it goes live on the Dish 622/s next month!

Im already going to have a Battlestar Galactica HDD ;) I guess I could have a SGA and a Firefly one also...:D

I own the Firefly DVDs, and have seen the episodes on UHD, but I have to admit it doesn't draw me in the way the gates and trek does.

I can see the bookshelf, filled with external hard drives, with a label on them, "SGA, BSG, Star Wars movies, etc... " :D

Im already going to have a Battlestar Galactica HDD ;) I guess I could have a SGA and a Firefly one also...:D

I'm going to have a drive dedicated to shows that were good, but were canceled before they had a chance to find an audience.

Firefly & Drive would be two shows for this hard drive. ;)

Since Universal is a parent company of SCI-FI Channel, I wonder if there will ever be a chance of seeing Farscape aired on Uni HD. THAT would be INCREDIBLE!

Farscape, Galactica return in short form
clear.gif

Sunday - July 15, 2007 | by Darren Sumner
;

We temporarily interrupt this Stargate news coverage for some frelling (and frakking) big news from SCI FI Channel. The network has just announced its new development slate for the coming year, which includes an 8-week series of "mini-sodes" leading up to Battlestar Galactica: Razor and ... drumroll ... the return of Farscape.

Fans will return to the Farscape universe in an original Web series, set to be released on SCIFI.com. The 10-part series is executive produced by Brian Henson and Robert Halmi, Jr., and produced by The Jim Henson Company in association with RHI Entertainment. "The series will revive and expand the beloved Farscape universe," according to the network.

No word yet on just which actors or characters will be involved in the project, or just when it will arrive. After being unceremoniously cancelled after four seasons, the critically-acclaimed Farscape (starring Stargate SG-1's Ben Browder and Claudia Black) returned in 2004 for the 4-hour miniseries Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars.

The show is one of several new original programs in development for the Web site, which boasts itself to be the world's largest sci-fi entertainment Web site with more than 3 million unique visitors each month.

As fans of Battlestar Galatica get ready for the November 24 premiere of the telemovie "Razor" -- which will delve into the backstory of the Battlestar Pegasus, her crew, and Admiral Cain (Michelle Forbes) -- the network has another surprise. The movie will be preceded by an 8-week series of "mini-sodes."

Filmed in conjunction with "Razor," the two- to three-minute installments will air weekly in primetime on SCI FI Channel, and then be available online at SCIFI.com. The promotional shorts will premiere in October.

Written by Michael Taylor and directed by Wayne Rose and Felix Alcala, "these shorts will provide a sneak peek into the original Cylon War, when a young pilot named William Adama (Nico Cortez) discovers a dangerous Cylon weapon that will come back to haunt him and his crew 40 years later," SCI FI revealed. They will also be included in the DVD release of "Razor."

For more on Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, and the science fiction world beyond Stargate, visit the new site from the creator of GateWorld: SciFi Stream!
Source: Gateworld

I only hope it isn't a "sock puppet" version of the show. With a modest budget and some green screen location in the U.S., the producers would be able to shoot scenes with Browder & Black (if they are still in the U.S.) and integrate it into footage with any available cast members still down in Austrialia.

...should the majority of the cast sign on for the webisodes.

We have hope!

If the direct-to-DVD Babylon 5 "The Lost Tales" and upcoming SG1 DVD movies sells well enough, we may see some other shows jump into the direct-to-DVD market (Farscape, Drive, Firefly, Jack of All Trades, Brisco County... ;) )

Ah, the Joys of the beautiful Morena (Inara) Bacarrin in HD! Only problem I've seen must be with some editing glitches. Two scenes in her shuttle, the first with her "client" while planetside had a strange edit where she looked toward the camera (away from her client), then it jumped back to her ongoing conversation. The other was also in her shuttle, but during her "spongebath scene" where video froze at a couple points (it does the same thing on my DVD... thought it was a layer change).

Still, it's nice to see every HD glance at the ship and it's crew and with it, I'm noticing details I've never seen before!

Be sure to thank Universal with either your own custom photo or a "wave" at Lego Serenity!
I saw the same thing (pause)tonight watching on Directv..

Those two brief "freeze frames" in Inara's sponge bath scene looked as if the editor had forgotten to insert a fade transition between the clips.

I can find little more captivating then her overall beauty. Also, there is something in her voice. The tone or pitch falls into what I call a "sweet spot" of sensuality. Her enunciation is almost too perfect, as if meant for performing the classics of Shakespeare on the stage. I have no doubt this reflects on her training at Juilliard.

Also of note is that she was born in 1979. I was a junior in high school.

That makes me a dirty old virtual stalker now doesn't it.

...okay, now I've gone and depressed myself. ;)

Cheers!
Spence

Serenity sequel may rest with upcoming release of Special Edition DVD

So after all is said and done, was Serenity profitable? Do you consider it a success?

JW: It's a success to the studio or else we wouldn't be doing a special edition DVD.
Personally, if you look at all of the newer Universal titles they release 'SE' just about every time so for Joss to say that maybe a stretch. But it is a good thing that Joss is directly linking the success of this DVD to the sequel.

So give me hope for a Serenity II

JW: Hope for it probably rests with this DVD.

Link to full interview:
COMIC CON: Exclusive Interview with Joss Whedon - RopeofSilicon.com Comic Con 2007

Shiny!

Time to get the word out to your fellow Browncoats and help get the upcoming release of the 2-disc Serenity - Special Edition DVD on the radar of the accountants at Universal!

I'll be doing my part by purchasing two SD versions (to watch and loan) and one HD DVD release (for viewing on my "yet-to-be-purchased" HD DVD player).

Cheers,
Spence

Last edited: