Joss Whedon's Firefly

In one day the Serenity CE shot up in Amazon’s sales rankings from #51 to #11!

Do you fancy yourself a Browncoat? Are you potential Browncoat material?

HERE IS A REMINDER

The 2-disc "Collectors Edition" of Serenity streets next Tuesday (August 21st) on standard def. DVDs.

I believe that there will also be a release of the CE to HD DVD, which will include "on screen" cast commentary via a Picture-In-Picture window!

That sounds very cool!

In one day the Serenity CE shot up in Amazon’s sales rankings from #51 to #11.
25 reasons why you should buy the Serenity Collector’s Edition DVD

Oddly enough, there may be Browncoats out there who are on the fence about this. “I’ve already got the movie. In fact, I have it in fullscreen, widescreen, HD, PSP, and three different download formats, plus a couple of overseas versions. I need another one?”

Yes. Yes, you do. And here’s why.

1. More stuff you don’t need an all-regions DVD player to see. With this 2-disc set you’ll finally get the features that Europe and Australia got already (You don’t get the long Q&A Joss did in Australia, but you can catch that on Youtube). First up: The Extended Scenes (6 min. 45 sec.). Longer versions of some of the scenes in the movie, including more Mal and Inara.

2. You love buying new Serenity things, admit it. It makes you tingly.

3. Owning this frees you up to give away your old one and spread the word. Give it to your friends — assuming you have any that have resisted this long.

4. Longer “behind the scenes” feature. This is the Aussie cut, with more scenes (including some from the first cast table read).

5. Somewhere there is a network executive(s) who is still baffled at the refusal of this property to die, despite his, her, or their best efforts. Buy the DVD with a song in your heart.

6. “A Filmmakers Journey” (19 min. 49 sec.). How Joss took “Serenity” from a canceled show to a new movie.

7. Better cover art. Way, way better cover art. It’s not 11th Hour quality, but few things in this world are and this is much classier. Not a llama in sight.

8. “Take a Walk on Serenity” (4 min.). Joss, Nathan, Alan, and Adam take us on a special tour of the Serenity ship. Worth it to see Jayne flying the ship.

9. DVD Feng Shui. You’ve already got “Serenity” DVDs on your shelf with brown and blue edges, you need a black one to balance ‘em out.

10. The Session 416 videos (7 min. 52 sec). River’s scary-cool progression through the Academy. I loved seeing ‘em online but I can’t wait to see ‘em on a bigger screen.

11. Can you be sure this isn’t a different cut? Maybe Wash lives. Maybe Book and Inara finally realize they’re meant for each other (and where are the Book-Inara shippers? Let’s step up, people…). You know, you’d better get one, just to make sure.

12. New packaging. A Digipak case, one of the ones you see in special edition DVDs and TV DVD sets, with a gatefold, foldout design and often a slipcase. I’m thinking that means more photos, more text, all good.

13. Because how cool would it be to see Best Buy pulling out pallets of the thing to meet demand.

14. “The Green Clan” (3 min. 3 sec). A featurette on cinematographer Jack M. Green and his family/crew.

15. You can donate your old copy to your local library. Or a distant library. Or just give it to a thrift store so someone else can stumble across it.

16. Finally you can see the Fruity Oaty feature without remembering which up-down-sideways buttons to hit to get to the easter egg.

17. “SciFi Inside: Serenity” (21 min. 41 sec). The pre-movie SciFi Channel special hosted by Adam Baldwin. Cast interviews, lots of scenes from the movie.

18. Support the troops. There are soldiers overseas that dsperately need something fun in their lives, and here you are with an extra movie lying around…

19. It is the responsibility of every patriotic American to boost our economy. Probably it’s the same for Canadians, even if their dollar is doing better than ours these days. In fact, Americans had better buy two DVDs.

20. Brand. New. Cast. Commentary. Joss, Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, and Ron Glass talking about our favorite movie. Face it, this is a good enough reason all by itself.

21. Opportunities for random kindness. Hand your old copy to the first person you see on the street. Leave it on a bus, or in a restaurant booth.

22. Amazon rankings. At the moment, two weeks before it hits the streets, this re-release of a break-even movie based on a canceled TV show is at #61 in DVD sales and moving up. After a summer of big-budget and largely disappointing movies, I want to see this at #1.

23. There’s a new front page at the official Serenity movie site, with new video clips. You don’t want them to have wasted all that work, do you? Go check it out.

24. Because you need a reason for a new shindig. DVD release party! Get the gang together and go move “Serenity” in front of “Wild Hogs” on the shelves at Wal-Mart.

25. And the big reason: “Serenity 2.” It is by no means definite, and is in fact one hell of a long shot, but there’s that possibility that massive sales of this DVD could lead to more Serenity in some form. From Joss’ interview at Comic Con with RopeofSilicon:

So give me hope for a Serenity II

JW: Hope for it probably rests with this DVD.

Well I’ll buy one.

JW: Actually I will too, people ask me why I would buy my own DVD and I tell them do you have any idea how awesome it is to buy your own movie?

So then you’re saying we’ve got a chance?

JW: Well it’s probably not being discussed in boardrooms right now, but the fact of the matter is if it makes enough money sooner or later they say “hey, this is money!”

Fan that I am, I don’t see another movie coming (although I would love to be wrong). But I could see more Serenity of some sort resulting. An animated series? Books? Radio shows? We’ll have to buy the DVD to find out. You can preorder it at Amazon for $18.99 or from TFAW.com for $21.58, or if you want to make a statement you can order it directly from Universal for $19.99.

Details:

Street Date: August 21, 2007
Copyright: 2007 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Price: $26.98 SRP
Selection Number: 61101072
Running Time: 1 Hour 59 Minutes
Layers: Dual Layer
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Rating: PG-13 (Sequences of Intense Violence and Action, and Some Sexual
References)
Technical Info:
— English: Dolby Digital 5.1
— Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0
— French: Dolby Digital 2.0
— Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French

Even though I've still got one of my two copies still in it's un-opened scrink-wrap, I'll be buying the "standard definition" 2-disc, as well as the HD DVD release (for eventual upgrade to Samsung's BD-UP5000 HD DVD/Blu-Ray player). I'll donate the unopened copy to some local worthy charity.

Regards,

Spence
Browncoat - Wisconsin

Last edited:
Fans will return to the Farscape universe in an original Web series, set to be released on SCIFI.com. The 10-part series is executive produced by Brian Henson and Robert Halmi, Jr., and produced by The Jim Henson Company in association with RHI Entertainment. "The series will revive and expand the beloved Farscape universe," according to the network.

Does anyone know technically what a "webisode" means ?

Can it be downloaded, burnt to a DVD and watched on a big screen TV ? What resolution ?

As a very long term SF fan, I found Farscape to be one of the most visually interesting TV shows, but kind of short on writing skills. In a way reminiscent of X-Files, the show seemed to be making it up as they went along, with the result being that some aspects central to the series at various times, ended up fading away entirely later, to be replaced by something else. (In fact, the "shock and surprise" of those changes seemed to be a technique used to catch viewer interest.)

In any event, my point is that the appeal of the show is undoubtedly proportional to the resolution. I'd love to see the beautiful red interior of the "baby" ship in HD. I'm totally uninterested in seeing "new stories" in a little 320x240 window on my PC. :(

Sanctuary starring Amanda Tapping from SG1 is supposed to be available in HD... I downloaded teasers in HD before it came on and burned to HD DVD readable Dvd ... wasn't too bad of PQ... the webesodes of BSG lasts year were not downloadable though... archiving Firefly to external drive now :D

Does anyone know technically what a "webisode" means ?

Can it be downloaded, burnt to a DVD and watched on a big screen TV ? What resolution ?

As a very long term SF fan, I found Farscape to be one of the most visually interesting TV shows, but kind of short on writing skills. In a way reminiscent of X-Files, the show seemed to be making it up as they went along, with the result being that some aspects central to the series at various times, ended up fading away entirely later, to be replaced by something else. (In fact, the "shock and surprise" of those changes seemed to be a technique used to catch viewer interest.)

In any event, my point is that the appeal of the show is undoubtedly proportional to the resolution. I'd love to see the beautiful red interior of the "baby" ship in HD. I'm totally uninterested in seeing "new stories" in a little 320x240 window on my PC. :(

Unless the webisodes take place prior to season five, you won't be seeing the red baby ship (Talyn) or Commander Crais for that matter.

As DFergie mentioned, "Sanctuary" is one of a hand full of web based shows, in what I expect to be a growing trend in web based entertainment. Other popular shows have done webisodes in past years. These include;

Battlestar Galactica - which helped to bridge seasons two and three
Eureka - which had a number of web based episodes dealing with a mysterious beast in the surrounding forests.

I have seen the trailer for Sanctuary, but have yet to view an episode. As I recall, the quality was pretty good, considering budget. It would be nice to see some completed works come to DVD for those who missed episodes or want to collect.

Spence

Amazing character development for a show that lasted less than a season. No matter how many times I watch it, I still enjoy it. My wife loves it and she couldn't care less about Sci-Fi.

I have a Rancher friend, that I think would love this... His wife and I are Scifi fans, but he is a skeptic...
dfergie REPORT!

Have you been able to recruit your rancher friend as a new Browncoat? We love to hear that the movement continues and hope that sustained sales of the DVDs may some day prove worthy of yet another reunion of our Big Damn Heroes!

A week ago, there was an article in which Alan Tudyk alluded to a possible sequel. It was later chalked up to the Browncoat community 'hearing what they wanted to hear' and not what was actually said.

Here is the follow-up article;
About These SERENITY 2 Rumors … -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Oddly enough I haven't read anything from Joss or any other cast members regarding this, one way or the other so I am keeping hope and still actively trying to recruit friends by loaning out my second set of Firefly DVDs whenever and whereever possible. ;)

Cheers!
Spence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts