June announcement

Status
Please reply by conversation.
GregN said:
E* VS D* Profitablity

Take a look at the profits tho it has been this way for years?
How long will Rupert Murdoch take the loses?

E*
Sales $6.73 bil
Profits $.15 bil
Assets $6.17 bil
Market Value $13.52 bil
Employees 15,000

D*
Sales $11.36 bil
Profits $-1.64 bil
Assets $14.32 bil
Market Value $20.80 bil
Employees 11,800

Do you know the history of BSkyB because if you don't look it up and find yourself scratching your head for days at a time.

Pete In Plano said:
They are throwing a whole lot of hardware up into space right now. Good things HAVE to be coming!!!!! Just like the optomist kid that gets a pile of horse crap for Christmas and dives in digging--"I just KNOW there's a pony in there somewhere!!"

That was just sick!

Pete In Plano said:
They are throwing a whole lot of hardware up into space right now. Good things HAVE to be coming!!!!! Just like the optomist kid that gets a pile of horse crap for Christmas and dives in digging--"I just KNOW there's a pony in there somewhere!!"

I heard the kid pulled out an envelope and inside the crap covered envelope was a price increase and a bill for a new satellite reciever complete with a contract commitment. No ponies. LOL

LonghornXP said:
But as it stands E* is the leader right now but sadly to say when it comes to the future I see D* just killing E* but we will just have to wait and see.

It is not going to happen. E*, D*, cable companies will do just fine. D* and cable will hold advantage in HD locals, but E* will be a leader in national HD. So all these demise predictions for E* are not doing anything good, especially if you will think again what D* has in their mind about special pricing for HD (remember NFL ST fiasco!)

Minsk1 said:
It is not going to happen. E*, D*, cable companies will do just fine. D* and cable will hold advantage in HD locals, but E* will be a leader in national HD. So all these demise predictions for E* are not doing anything good, especially if you will think again what D* has in their mind about special pricing for HD (remember NFL ST fiasco!)

If my contacts are right along with Dans, Scotts and others D* will be the leader over both cable and E* on the national HD front and if they add what I believe they will not even E* can match it because they can't just snap their fingers and have bandwidth appear even if E* switched everything to MPEG4.

Now again all this remains to be seen but D* can kill E* on both the national and local HD fronts while at least killing cable on the national HD front because even they don't have enough bandwidth unless they move all digital and give all analog customers a D/A converter box for all of their rooms.

Edit...also when I say kill I don't mean these companies can't compete but they won't be able to compete with the above average HD viewer. But again they will compete for other features such as VOD on cable and Comcast having Tivo and any feature one company might have but it will be D* who would have the great bulk of both the medium and high end HD customers and those are the customers who make a company big time money. Also if D* does offer their form of VOD which would work similiar to cables VOD than that would be another advantage that D* has over E*. Now again E* will still be around and make a profit but they will never be more than what they are profit wise until they make a radical change and pump up new satellites to increase bandwidth for both national and HD local channels and please don't say they can do just fine without HD LILs because in the future when the average joe goes HDTV and this is happening today and more so in the future they will demand HD locals via satellite and those average joes can spend more than 80/month. Who do you think the average joe is going to go with when they get their new HDTV set. When they see the massive HD lineup and HD locals that D* has in their Best Buy store and compare that with E* and cable I think they would pick D* for these easy reasons.

E* does not have HD locals via satellite.
D* has HD locals via satellite and are a more noticed brand.
D* has a massive national HD lineup that cable can't match and customer doesn't even look at E* offerings sadly to say.
D* can rent them an HD DVR, HMC and/or just a basic HD box for about the same price as cable.

That will be how this would go and I'll assure you that D* will heavily advertise in Best Buy stores that they offer HD locals via satellite and when they can't find the same concrete info with E* they would stick with the safe bet of D* because again their lineup on national HD is very good and rental hardware plus brand name. In their mind they feel they can get everything they want with D* so why take the chance with E*.

LonghornXP said:
Now again all this remains to be seen but D* can kill E* on both the national and local HD fronts while at least killing cable on the national HD front because even they don't have enough bandwidth unless they move all digital and give all analog customers a D/A converter box for all of their rooms.

From what I've seen/read, that's cables plan, to get a digital cable box that's less then $50 and give them to the analog customers so they can move the entire plant to digital.

rad said:
From what I've seen/read, that's cables plan, to get a digital cable box that's less then $50 and give them to the analog customers so they can move the entire plant to digital.

That is why I said what I said but again having the plan and doing it is the problem we see today. Also those 50 or less boxes can be had today but most cable companies today would rather switch around analog channels to try and get analog customers to upgrade to digital because the more customers that do this the more extra money they have coming in and its one less customer to be upgraded at their cost. Now eventually cable companies will do the upgrade but I believe that most cable companies will do so to catch-up. Even though Comcast is going all digital they are using more bandwidth than before because they aren't getting rid of the analog lineup yet but I would bet that Comcast would be the first cable company to go all digital and remove the analog lineup and provide customers with a D/A convertor box.

as far as dish not offering local HD, all you need is an ota, and you have your local HD channels

jeslevine,

Not everyone can received local HD via OTA. Depending on where you live you may not get a good signal, or no signal at all. For these people local HD channels via satellite is a very big deal.

Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)