Just A Baby..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CountryBoyNC

Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Carolina's
Once Again im A Newbie here.... I just Recently moved my Wife and New Born Daughter out into the quiet Country of The South...
Local cable dont come out here and I cant even get Internet...
A guy tried to sell me a FTA satellite but i had no idea what it was...
I heard about a lot of technology but never this...
Could someone point me in the right direction...?
When the cut the antenna signals on the 12th.... Im in trouble,lol
And before i pay 500 for something i have no clue about,can i please get some help...
Thanks...

Welcome!

To receive FTA satellite you will need at least a 30 inch dish for KU or a Big Dish for C-Band, an FTA receiver, and probably a motor. There are a variety of channels available Free to Air, but you probably won't get any local channels (although there are some network channels available FTA).

KU (small dish) is the easiest to set up as you can mount the dish in a variety of places. You can check out the channels available on KU at www.ftalist.com or on The List here. C-Band (big dish) is a little more difficult because of the dish hardware, but you can get all the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, etc...).

It is possible to sink quite a bit of money into the hobby, but you can also get started fairly cheap. Do a little research on the Net, and check out some of the posts here. FTA is a fun hobby, but you may find it a little limited as your main source of TV (depending on your viewing habits). Check it out, and ask as many questions as you like. Someone here will be glad to help.

-LoTech

Well If it's not too much Trouble..
Im trying to find a receiver...
I have two Dish's a Direct TV Dish that was already here(on the house),and a Dish Network dish..With 500 hundred on it...Whatever that means....
I hope i can post this link here..
GOsatellite.com - FTA Receiver - Coolsat 6000 Premium

Think this would be cool.... Its close to my price range...
THanks alot brotha..

Last edited:
in all seriousness check Ebay for that receiver or its brothers (4000 & 5000)

They are selling for much less there ;)

Ok thanks a lot...
I really appreciate it...
You think I could use either of those Dish's I have..
The DTV one is so worn out you can see the name,and the Dish seems to be ok..
Anyways I will check some of those outmafter I put the lil one down for the count..
Thanks again..:up

both dishes will only get a handful of channels like NASA & Angel One

you need a 30" or larger dish and a KU Band LNB for most of what was posted above
If you need network programming and cant get it OTA, I highly suggest getting a 6 foot dish. All 6 networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, MY) are on one satellite and works great if you have issues not getting the networks OTA

When the cut the antenna signals on the 12th.... Im in trouble

You know though, it almost sounds like you can get networks OTA, but haven't yet obtained a digital receiver? Only the analog broadcasts are "being cut". Digital receivers can be had fairly cheap, and you likely will receive more channels than analog. Even better, some FTA receivers integrate ATSC tuners as well, if you wanted both in one box!

Don't let anybody sell you a system claiming free HBO , etc. Hacking of dishnetwork's satellite signals has been an ongoing problem, but that is coming to an end, at least for awhile, because Dish is in the process of toughening their scrambling system. If somebody's offering a receiver and saying you can 'get everything' with your Dishnet dish, he's about to take you for a ride.
Before you spend 500 on anything fta, run it by us here, somebody will tell you about it. There's not many free to air receivers selling for that much, thankfully!

Too rural for cable and DSL connections does not necessarily mean too rural for decent OTA. The critical thing here is clear line-of-site (considering trees, hilly terain etc) you may need to invest in an exterior antenna, and possibly an inline amp, but you should be within broadcast range, if you have all the right equipment.
One (of many) of my bitches about the DTV propaganda is having to buy a 'digital antenna'. That is crap. Some stations that are not on UHF now may end up moving, but not all. The uhf ant that was in service before is still 100% compatible with the new format. In fact, some that go buy one of those cheezy digital antennas, will be very put out when they find stations in their market that did not go uhf, and they dont have 'enough' antenna to rx them. The FCC and the industry really wanked the American consumer on this whole unnecessary digital conversion deal.
Ok, where's the smiley of the lil guy stepping down off the soapbox.......lol
AHHH....this lil guy will do just fine. Can he be my avatar???? :rant::rant::rant:

If you are looking for a sub service that is not part of the pizza pan scene, and a better value, there is a C band service via Skyvision you might want to look into. I think the whole setup is less than $450 delivered, and they offer pretty much all of what you will see on cable, less HD.

As has been pointed out, dont confuse Free To Air signals and receiption with piracy and theft of DishNetwork broadcasts using modified FTA receivers. Many have come to associate the mainstream and legal aspect of FTA with the subculture that has thrived on hacking DN for several years. The True FTA community has gotten a bad rap in some cases, and makes great efforts to distance itself from that group that modifys and uses these receivers to watch DN without paying for it. Hence the strong attitudes and the site's zero tollerance policy on discussions on how to hack satellite tv. If someone says the setup is for free DN, they are trying to get you to break the law. Period.

Locals are only available over the air (free) or thru one of the pizza pan systems via subscription. Beyond that, there is a large number of things on the FTA channels, but the best and most versitile system will be one that has multiple fixed or an automated movable dish.
This link is to an offsite list of much of the stuff you can view (or listen to, there are radio channels too) with an FTA box and the right dish setup.
http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html
He is also a member here and a re-seller of the Skyvision DSR410 system if that is of interest to you.
There is also a link to "The List" from the front page which is an FTA channel list that is provided and maintained by board personnel.

Except as noted, the pizza pan dishes are not usable for True FTA. A 30" with a linear LNB would be a minimum, and a 36" or greater would be even better for the weak stuff. If you ever see anything around that was used for the old Primestar service, and dont mind asking about removing it from someone's property or business, it is both big enough, and has the proper LNB on it.
As for the receiver itself, there are many out there all within different classes, with different features, but most are quite usable for this hobby. Post whatever Q's you have about a particular one you find, and I'm sure someone will be able to advise you on weather is is a good deal or not.
Welcome to the realm and Good luck.

Last edited:
Too rural for cable and DSL connections does not necessarily mean too rural for decent OTA. The critical thing here is clear line-of-site (considering trees, hilly terain etc)

This is too true. If you can get analog signals you should be able to get a digital converter and continue to get most of the same channels; maybe even all or more than you do do now.

This is true in reverse as well. I live 19 miles from the local CBS affiliate, and 45 miles from the Tennessee Tri-Cities affiliates, and can't get a thing OTA. Nothing. Nada. I even tried using an extreme fringe Winegard antenna and a pre-amp. Still nothing. If you can't get analog because of a mountain or two in the way, you won't get it in digital either.

This is too true. If you can get analog signals you should be able to get a digital converter and continue to get most of the same channels; maybe even all or more than you do do now.

This is true in reverse as well. I live 19 miles from the local CBS affiliate, and 45 miles from the Tennessee Tri-Cities affiliates, and can't get a thing OTA. Nothing. Nada. I even tried using an extreme fringe Winegard antenna and a pre-amp. Still nothing. If you can't get analog because of a mountain or two in the way, you won't get it in digital either.
OUCH! There hasnt been any consideration for a mountaintop repeater or a LP affiliate for your community? The ability to receive free television should be right up there with inalienable rights.
Gimme a pen!
................now where did I lay that constitution................

OUCH! There hasnt been any consideration for a mountaintop repeater or a LP affiliate for your community? The ability to receive free television should be right up there with inalienable rights.
According to statistics, over 99% of all US homes can receive OTA television, 95% can receive HDTV from at least one major network, and 85% can receive multiple HDTV networks.

I guess Diane Sawyer was right. Appalachia is the "Forgotten America". Thankfully it's hard to block space.

Are you receiving all the networks over-the-air right now? Because if you are I would recommend getting a 32" or 37" lcd tv for the under $500.

According to statistics, over 99% of all US homes can receive OTA television, 95% can receive HDTV from at least one major network, and 85% can receive multiple HDTV networks.

I guess Diane Sawyer was right. Appalachia is the "Forgotten America". Thankfully it's hard to block space.
Well, you dont have time to watch much tv anyway, keeping those stills running and all.....lol
The legislators may figure yall are 'forgotten' and dont rate for having free tv, but I'll bet them Revenueers wouldnt have any trouble finding ya!

Don't let anybody sell you a system claiming free HBO , etc. Hacking of dishnetwork's satellite signals has been an ongoing problem, but that is coming to an end, at least for awhile, because Dish is in the process of toughening their scrambling system. If somebody's offering a receiver and saying you can 'get everything' with your Dishnet dish, he's about to take you for a ride.
Before you spend 500 on anything fta, run it by us here, somebody will tell you about it. There's not many free to air receivers selling for that much, thankfully!

Wow,the guy that has been trying to sell me the fta receiver,cornered me this morning at the flea market..saying something similar to what you were saying..
Promising all that and more...And I dont like to go on unexpected rides,lol thats kidnapping...lol That is why im here... Thanks Man...

Also thanks to all who have commented..

I tried looking at The List,but it was like reading chinese(hope i didnt offend any asians on the board)..

Wow,the guy that has been trying to sell me the fta receiver,cornered me this morning at the flea market..saying something similar to what you were saying..
Promising all that and more...And I dont like to go on unexpected rides,lol thats kidnapping...lol That is why im here... Thanks Man...

When you reference the comments here to the 'salesman' and he say we are all a bunch of 'fuddy-duddys" tell him I said yes, that's true, law abiding and unincarsarated as well!
I tried looking at The List,but it was like reading chinese(hope i didnt offend any asians on the board)..
I dont see why. I'm sure if a Chinese person looked at the list they would have to say it's like reading english!.........lol

Yep, he is trying to unload what he has FAST. Can u get OTA? If so, build yourself a coat hanger antenna on the cheap. Then get a 36" dish and a HD receiver with ATSC tuner built in.

You should be able to get this setup for ~$200. A little more if you want to add a motor, but then you will have lots of TV to watch for under $300!

Glad you got the word! Those people are wanting to sell their hacker-boxes quick while they still pick up 10-12 channels , lol.
I have not missed "get paid" tv since I got into the free to air hobby, and always have something to watch. FREE, no contracts, no foreign call center to argue with, it is well worth the initial investment in equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts