Just a curious question... Some shows on DVR are listed with a "K". What does the "K" mean?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think the K means you set that program to keep until you decide to delete it. (In other words you didn't set the program to delete itself after a week or two weeks or whatever). I know all of my recordings have the K next to each one so I'm pretty sure that's what it means.

EDIT: HIFI beat me to the punch.

"K" for keep. any recording with that icon is not included in the delete priorities in your dvr recordings that automatically delete when running low on hard drive space.

people really run low on hard drive space on a Genie?
dang mine only gets below 90% when i record a bunch of sporting events (like this weekend)

people really run low on hard drive space on a Genie?
dang mine only gets below 90% when i record a bunch of sporting events (like this weekend)
The OP didn't specify which dvr he had.:D but, yes I have been to service calls for families that have a genie and three mini's all being used in a household with three teenagers. ;):D

The OP didn't specify which dvr he had.:D but, yes I have been to service calls for families that have a genie and three mini's all being used in a household with three teenagers. ;):D
oh yeah, i've got a 2 TB external drive on one dvr, a 1TB internal on another, and and another hd-dvr, none have over 10% free

I have 27 percent free on the HR44 with 2TB EHD, but I do delete unwanted shows after watching it the first time, but I do have plenty of movies from recent free preview premiums, and a few series shows.

On my receiver I get the K (in a blue circle) whenever I schedule the recording from the website or my phone. I just thought it was due to that method of request. But, I just listed one of my recordings and pressed on the blue button (keep) and the K in a blue circle appeared. If you highlight the recording with the "K" and press the blue button on your remote it will disappear.

true. i guess another example is someone who doesnt delete anything

Some people are foolish enough to use their dvr as a storage device instead of a time shift device.

Some people are foolish enough to use their dvr as a storage device instead of a time shift device.
If they didn't intend for you to use it as a storage device, why would they include a 1TB drive? That seems a little much for some simple "time shifting". Calling people foolish for using a product differently than you do seems a silly.

Computers have been in mass use for over two decades and the hard drives have gotten bigger and more reliable. Just because they are bigger doesn't mean you have to fill them up. They are more reliable but are still susceptible to failure. Not recognizing this fact is foolish, in my opinion. Do you back up the hard drive in your computer? Cars can go 120 miles an hour, but driving that fast under normal circumstances isn't a very good idea.

On my receiver I get the K (in a blue circle) whenever I schedule the recording from the website or my phone. I just thought it was due to that method of request. But, I just listed one of my recordings and pressed on the blue button (keep) and the K in a blue circle appeared. If you highlight the recording with the "K" and press the blue button on your remote it will disappear.
Same here ...

If they didn't intend for you to use it as a storage device, why would they include a 1TB drive? That seems a little much for some simple "time shifting". Calling people foolish for using a product differently than you do seems a silly.
I'm with you on this, 2TB makes it even better ... ;) plus I work long hours and let programs build up before binge watching...

If they didn't design them for storing things, they'd make it easier to back up your programming... such as downloading to your PC, digital output for burning... obviously the copy protection people get up in arms over such ideas so I can see why they don't -- but at least let you create an encrypted mirror of certain shows you'd like to back up.

That said, DVRs do work fairly good as a storage medium... I have a friend who still has my old upgraded HDVR2 circa 2004-ish when I did the upgrades, and it's plugging along great. Hard drives can actually be pretty reliable as well, and supposedly are getting even more reliable. I know of one particular radio station that has had it's old DOS-based automation software running 24/7/365 since 1989 -- without a glitch; same hard drives (3 huge 1.2 gig Micropolis 5.25"ers).

N

Computers have been in mass use for over two decades and the hard drives have gotten bigger and more reliable. Just because they are bigger doesn't mean you have to fill them up. They are more reliable but are still susceptible to failure. Not recognizing this fact is foolish, in my opinion. Do you back up the hard drive in your computer? Cars can go 120 miles an hour, but driving that fast under normal circumstances isn't a very good idea.
You're assuming the person will be upset if it crashes, and that isn't always the case.

Let me give an example- I have 2 small kids, I have all the episodes to "scooby doo, where are" you & "a pup named scooby doo" stored on their DVR. This allows me to play any episode of those shows whenever i choose, and i don't have to wait for it to come on if the kids want to watch. This is much cheaper than buying the dvd's, and it still allows me to store all the episodes. In a case like this, I would lose all of those episodes in a HD failure, but I wouldn't care. I can easily re-record them onto the next DVR as they re-air. Some shows like "Green Acres" only have a couple seasons on DVD, so I keep the rest of the episodes on my DVR to view whenever I want. Not sure what exactly is "foolish" about that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)