Just got a 522.. What the $%#&^???!!!???

leejp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I'm getting a whole bunch of recordings that I never set up with the timer and have no idea how to stop this. I noticed the Dish programming guide particularly for the international channels is far from being correct. To top it off there are "hangs" in just about every recording when the picture/sound freezes.

Is this normal with Dish network or is it just the 522? I'm less than a month with Dish and so far I have not been impressed. I'm considering going back to cable or Directv.

leejp said:
I'm getting a whole bunch of recordings that I never set up with the timer and have no idea how to stop this. I noticed the Dish programming guide particularly for the international channels is far from being correct. To top it off there are "hangs" in just about every recording when the picture/sound freezes.

Is this normal with Dish network or is it just the 522? I'm less than a month with Dish and so far I have not been impressed. I'm considering going back to cable or Directv.

Mostly the 522.... chek and see if you have any timers set at weird times and such.

Doing a power button reboot (hold the power button for 10+ seconds) might help as well.

He might have someone's old 'recycled' box that still has someone else's timers left on it.
Go hit DVR then 'timers' and see if anything's there.

Bizzach said:
He might have someone's old 'recycled' box that still has someone else's timers left on it.
Go hit DVR then 'timers' and see if anything's there.
THIS IS COMMON WITH DISH TO INSTALL A REMAN OR USED BOX WHEN THEY INSTALL,IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED JUST CALL AND BITC* AT THEM AND HOPEFULLY YOU CAN GET THEM TO SEND YOU A NEW ONE,AS FOR THE 522 'PROBLEMS'..WE ALL HAVE THEM..I'TS CALLED BEING A BETA TESTER...LOL

leejp said:

What internationals are you talking about. I know that in the case of JapanTV they have some shows that are rather small in duration. Going from memory... Dish gets this data from another source and passes it on so they have no control over it is my understanding. Also in the case of JapanTV there are a number of small programs (Less than 30 minutes) and there is a lot of them.

When I was looking at this, I started to think that one of the reasons for some confusion is that the Dish's EPG on the tuner cannot handle this type of scenario very well. THis is not the case with regular programmer and you very seldom have programs less than 15 minutes long. On the JapanTV guide that happens frequently last time I looked. Just a guess but that was the conclusion I came to. In this case manual timers would have to be created.

Hope this makes sense.

dennis osborn said:
THIS IS COMMON WITH DISH TO INSTALL A REMAN OR USED BOX WHEN THEY INSTALL,IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED JUST CALL AND BITC* AT THEM AND HOPEFULLY YOU CAN GET THEM TO SEND YOU A NEW ONE,AS FOR THE 522 'PROBLEMS'..WE ALL HAVE THEM..I'TS CALLED BEING A BETA TESTER...LOL

yet another poor sufferer of voice immodulation. ;D

The internationals I'm referring to are the four Korean channels. The programming guide rarely seems to match what's actually on TV.

I think I may have figured out the DVR issue. What I'm seeing is that the timer doesn't actualy record the event. It records the "channel" during the day/time when the timer is set. The manual confirms this. This is a HUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE disappointment. My previous DVR (Time Warner Cable Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000) recorded the show that I wanted regardless of the channel/time. I believe the Tivo operates like the Explorer 8000 as well. The 522 is basically a "dumb" VCR. Dang! Dish Network's DVR implementation just plain sucks!

This coupled with the erratic programming guide had me completely dumbfounded. I am not a happy camper right now.

leejp said:
The internationals I'm referring to are the four Korean channels. The programming guide rarely seems to match what's actually on TV.

I think I may have figured out the DVR issue. What I'm seeing is that the timer doesn't actualy record the event. It records the "channel" during the day/time when the timer is set. The manual confirms this. This is a HUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE disappointment. My previous DVR (Time Warner Cable Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000) recorded the show that I wanted regardless of the channel/time. I believe the Tivo operates like the Explorer 8000 as well. The 522 is basically a "dumb" VCR. Dang! Dish Network's DVR implementation just plain sucks!

This coupled with the erratic programming guide had me completely dumbfounded. I am not a happy camper right now.
Well if you have the 522 you should be a DHA customer so you can quit any time of course you will have problems finding Korean programming on cable or Directv. :)

It would be a huge improvement if Dish Network changed there DVR's from time based recording to name based recording. I for one would be much happier and the software bugs would be easier to live with if the recorder was smarter also with the name based recording a season pass system and to do list would also be nice. I know I am just dreaming but hey a guy is allowed to dream every once in a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)