Just got a DSR920 what to look for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
I just won a 920 from E-bay for a pretty good price........just hope it's operable.
All the seller said was that it powers up, no other info. was given and I understand I'm taking a risk but the price was right. So when it arrives what should I be looking for? How can I tell if it's "workable" or not? I understand that I'll probably have to change the battery and that's something I'll be doing right away. Then what?

I'm just hoping to pick up some of the free DC stuff up there and perhaps sub. to a small package that includes the DIY channel.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

I did notice that you have one for sale and if this one doesn't pan out I may think about purchasing yours. At least I'd have one that I know works.

A question that I've asked ebay sellers before bidding on any 4DTV items is whether the UID that shows on screen matches what is printed on the label on the back of the receiver. If the UID shows up as all 00's on screen, then the battery is toast.

You are really going to like the 4DTV receiver. There are a few cool free channels on Digicipher. Lots of audio channels, some news, and also some PBS channels too. So far today I have tuned into a couple hours of PBS, some NorthWest Cable News and also "Noggin TV" (subscription) for my son. The a-la-carte programming choices are wayyyy better than the small dish folks are offering. I get VH1 Classic, MTV2, Noggin TV and a couple other channels for roughly $50/year.

That's exactly what I'm looking for! The a-la-carte stuff is right up my alley. I don't watch more than 10-15% of what's on so I like the idea of picking a choosing.
So if the UID shows up all 00's is there anything that can be done?

That's exactly what I'm looking for! The a-la-carte stuff is right up my alley. I don't watch more than 10-15% of what's on so I like the idea of picking a choosing.
So if the UID shows up all 00's is there anything that can be done?

UID all 00's.. It could be used for traction under your tires in the winter.... I don't know if an ID of all 00's can even get the 'free' stuff..

Not even a factory firmware re-flash? Is there anyone who still works on these?
I guess I'm putting the cart before the horse, it may be ok, just want to know a worst case scenario.

Make sure the unit ID is good, also make sure it's a 920 and not a 921, should say on a tiny white sticker in the back, if the unit ID is bad it's basically a old analog reciver, this can't be fixed, if the unit ID is still good you may want to get the batty changed asap.

I never experimented with a dead battery unit. It would be interesting to know if it still functioned for analog, dish moving duties or with the generic unmapped digital channels up there. Some of those are as nice as HD.;)

It's shame the battery takes every last bit of usefulness with it if that's the case.

Well that's going to be the first thing done after checking the UID.......if it's still intact the battery is getting replaced PRONTO!!! I'm scared! Hopefully it'll be ok when it gets here.

Don't know why they'd design a system in which a dead battery would render the unit useless forever, that makes absolutely no sense to me! Then to turn around and stop producing the units thus driving the prices of used ones up. It's just not fair.........it's just not! Although perhaps they weren't intending for them to be used for this long.
Just hoping it's ok.........

Don't know why they'd design a system in which a dead battery would render the unit useless forever, that makes absolutely no sense to me!

That's how they started with the original Videocipher units too. If the battery went dead, then the unit ID was lost forever. I remember years ago seeing Shaun Kenny on his Boresight/Yellow Rain show demonstrating seed key removal tools so that the dealers could "Archive" the keys so that in the event the battery ever went dead that the unit could be revived.

With the Digicipher and Videocipher II Plus technology, the whereabouts of those keys and the ability on how to extract them was never made public (hacked). We have no tools at all to even try preserve our UID's even if we wanted to. The best thing we can do is keep a good strong battery installed in the unit.

The battery was done as a security feature, all DCII receivers have a internal battery, when the 920's and 922's came out they most probably thought a 924 and others would follow, allowing the users to just upgrade to the latest tech, or probably do some trade in upgrade deals, sadly that was not the case.

Wonder if it might be beneficial to install some sort of quick connect on the back of the receiver so you could easily replace your battery every couple of years? It could have two slots for batteries wired in parallel, put in a new one then pluck out the old one. Think there's much market for a kit like that?
I guess it's like build in obsolescence if you let the battery die then you are forced to buy a new unit.

This is most likely a question that has been answered before, but let's ask anyways.

If I leave my model 920 powered on 24/7 , or at least leave it plugged into the electrical outlet 24/7 does that assist in extending the battery life? I never power mine off.

This is most likely a question that has been answered before, but let's ask anyways.

If I leave my model 920 powered on 24/7 , or at least leave it plugged into the electrical outlet 24/7 does that assist in extending the battery life? I never power mine off.

Probably not, the battery has a certian life span, when it dies and you are hooked up to a ups then you will be ok, once you unplug the unit it will die.

Best thing to do is get the battery replaced asap.

Further to that, if the battery is marginal and you never purposely power it off or unplug it you could still be at risk if you have a power outage for any extended period of time. The time to damage so to speak would be related to the condition of the battery at the onset of the power outage.
My guess as to how this works is that when the unit is plugged in it generates the necessary 3.6 volts on it's own. The battery only comes into play when the receiver is unplugged. Therefore there would be no good way to extend the life of the battery making replacement a very necessary procedure. Also there would be no sure way to tell the condition of the battery and how long it would potentially last in a power outage because you don't know how long the receiver has sat unplugged in it's life if you werent' the original owner.

My 922 is only 2 and a half years old and have it on a ups because I hate when there's a power glitch, it reboots and looses the guide. In the defense of lithium batteries though, heat destroys them as discharging them by having your receiver unplugged. I think if you keep your receiver plugged in and in a climate controlled environment they can last a very long time. My VC-2+ is 17 years old and for the most part always had power going to it and kept the room temps no more than 74 degrees. It has been in my old Monty and now my 4D and it still works. Im sure it will out live VC-2's end of life coming in a few months. :)

If you buy a used 920 it's best to swap out the batt because you don't know how long it sat disconnected from the power over the years. But if you were the only owner and did as I did with my VC2 I'll bet it would last quite a long time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts